Scorpio VLX mHawk

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
, But when i drove Mhawk the cranking was bit faster than 2.6, Hence i decided to buy the same,
Even i heard a whoa sound from that ac vents during my test drive, Does that indicates problem in the near future, Pls reply to all of this,All these reviews has really helped me a lot in asking questions about the same to dealer.
Well, Mukesh, I find this observation a bit curious. What exactly do you mean 'cranking was a bit faster'? And how does that tell something about the way the car will perform?

As for the whoa sound, I've no idea because I have the 2.6 CRDe 4WD and have never heard that sound.

mukeshus

Well, Mukesh, I find this observation a bit curious. What exactly do you mean 'cranking was a bit faster'? And how does that tell something about the way the car will perform?

As for the whoa sound, I've no idea because I have the 2.6 CRDe 4WD and have never heard that sound.
What i meant was, The ignition was smooth in VLX, but when in CRDE the steering used to shake a bit when u switch on the ignition, But in vlx it is bit faster, n engine is still smoother , Can u pls tell me about the music sys as i had posted earlier.

mukeshus

What i meant was, The ignition was smooth in VLX, but when in CRDE the steering used to shake a bit when u switch on the ignition, But in vlx it is bit faster, n engine is still smoother , Can u pls tell me about the music sys as i had posted earlier.
hello sir pls guide me as it is my first SUV, As my earlier car is ZEN which is petrol version, And i am migrating to diesel version The on road price in bangalore is 12,25,000 . And is that waxoyl coating necessary for car against scratches, pls guide me as it is my first suv. Is this car worth that much how do you feel about this, See as far i am concerned i feel the car is comfortable because compared to ZEN this is comfortable, And wat ever reviews i hav given is based on my test diving for 4 times with different dealers.And pls do tell me how much distance the vehicle will be tested before giving it to customer, As i was told by the dealer that the vehicle will be tested and then will be given to us. And i heard from one of the reviews that alloy wheel will become black if brakes r applied hard, Wat do u say about this?????:grin:

tsk1979

Reclaimed and Recycled
Safari is electronically and mechanically restricted in top gear. This fact will be confirmed by any informed service adviser.
I don't know about restrictions in 2.2 and have personally seen 160kmph on the speedo(around 148kmph actual speed)

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mukesh, I'll try and answer the questions as best I can. Some of what you have asked is subjective matters, so my answers hold no empirical sanctity.

Is the Hawk worth the price? You have to decide that for yourself. I consider it overpriced.
How much testing will a dealer do before handing over the vehicle to you? I would say nothing more than about 20 kms! They do not have to take the car out on the roads for 'testing'. They simply have to do a PDI as per a checklist that you can ask to see.

As for the stereo system, keep the original head unit in place so that you retain the steering wheel mounted controls. For the rear channels you could deploy a separate amp to power the speakers and the sub. Since the amp will be fed from the HU in the dash, you'd be setting up the gain of the amp by using the fader control of the HU.

BTW, in all fairness, if you are looking simply for a more comfortable ride than a Zen, my choice would run to the Innova as being technically the best.

The Safari is supposed to have the best back seat comfort.

If you cannot accept the looks of the Innova, well, tough luck. You're pasing up the best vehicle in that budget that India has to offer.

I went in for a Scorpio because I wanted a 4WD vehicle. I opted for the Scorpio for the simple reason that it is more reliable than a Safari, or so I believe. I am a satisfied owner upto now (little over 2 years and 16000 kms). No petty/niggling issues and no major issues.

About the coatings for the car, I'd say it is a debatable issue. What is recommended is an underbody protection coat, but even this can wait for a year or two. The new car does not really need any of these expensive coatings that dealers always try to sell to you.
Do take the extended warranty. M&M offer 2 additional years for Rs. 10,000/-, but that was for the 2.6 CRDe.

One important point to bear in mind: You can save yourself a bundle of money by getting your No-Claim-Bonus from the Insurance company transferred to the new car. You'd have to then transfer the ownership of the Zen to someone else's name and buy a fresh insurance for your Zen.
Just remember that the NCB accrues to a person, not a vehicle.

tsk1979

Reclaimed and Recycled
I test drove the Scorpio VLS m-Hawk too before settling for the safari.
Me and my wife, we both likes the Scorpio better for
1. The way it drove(manageable)
2. Engine smoothness
3. Easy to park etc.,
4. Soft clutch and controls
However the reasons we did not buy it
1. Price
The VLS mHawk can be equated feature to feature with the Safari EX, however it costs 70K more. Thats whopping
2. No 4WD
Scorpio still has no 4WD in mHawk, and we did not want to go for 2.6 as that engine may be discontinued. Moreover my cousin had the 2.6 and it was always in workshop for one problem or the other. He got a lemon I guess. Apart from that we did not like the 2.6 engine as compared to the 2.2 mhawk
3. 4x4 extimated price
Safari 4x4 costs 1.1L more than Safari 4x2, and you get alloy wheels and LSD
Scorpio 4x4 costs 1.3L more than the Scorpio 4x2(2.6 engine), and no LSD and no alloys

Since Safari 2.2 is very very similar to Scorpio 2.2, we went for the Safari as it felt much more VFM.
A LX model of safari 4x2 can be had for 7.5 Lakhs ex showroom(and lower if you factor in the discounts).
LX has power windows and rear AC, and most dealers can give you free cladding painting if you so desire.
So Scorpio may be a better vehicle, but is it a 2L rs better vehicle?
That question has no answer because smoothness, etc., cannot be measured in money, and its upto you to decide how much more you are ready to pay for the advantages.

YAJ

Limited Vision
pls guide me as it is my first SUV, As my earlier car is ZEN which is petrol version, And i am migrating to diesel version The on road price in bangalore is 12,25,000 .
Mukesh,

I bought mHawk VLX during Feb this year. M&M, sure have jacked up the prices since then.

So far, I am completely satisfied with the it. It has gone to dirt roads, hills, bad roads, no roads and city roads and no complains so far. It takes abuse positively.

Is there something, I miss in this car? Yes, the 4x4.

Rest as everyone said its completely reliable, super smooth, amazing pick-up, stability, road presence etc…

And is that waxoyl coating necessary for car against scratches, pls guide me as it is my first suv.
If your car would mostly be used in city and on highway. No need for coating. If you take that, make sure you get top-up done on each service during first year, its included in price.

Is this car worth that much how do you feel about this, See as far i am concerned i feel the car is comfortable because compared to ZEN this is comfortable, And wat ever reviews i hav given is based on my test diving for 4 times with different dealers.
Worth is subjective issue. As suggested by Anup sir, Innova is best package and worth each cent. VFM. But then, there are personal preferences, which are highly subjective. What is meaningful to me, may be meaningless to others. You should buy, what you want.

Also bargain hard for insurance. Don’t just rely on quote given by dealer. I saved a lot by doing that.

Last edited:

mukeshus

Mukesh,

I bought mHawk VLX during Feb this year. M&M, sure have jacked up the prices since then.

Thanks for the info By the way have u fitted any speakers to the given Nippon Head unit, if i fit asony 300 or 400w speaker will it be good.
by the way my mom is an insurance agent she only does the insurance to car,And even the dealer has agreed to it. then while delivering the vehicle to you, How many km was there on the ODO, pls reply to this.And as said by anup sir i hav taken that considerance of transfer of NCB to the new car thus by saving insurance amount, then how many days had ya waited for the car after booking, I waited for 3 weeks ,But then again he said 15 days more ,I was really annoyed by his words i said to him that he should make the vehicle available through other dealer, when i told this he said that he would make it available tomo, Then wat else YAJ n Anup sir Pls keep on sending your reviews to me so that i can remain updated, And one thing i want to tell u is if anyone of your friends r booking for scorpio pls tell them not tro book in(VIJAI AUTO BANGALORE)
As there customer satisfaction with them is worst, how does your odo looks is it green as posted by raj else red as shown in brouchure.

Last edited by a moderator:

YAJ

Limited Vision
Thanks for the info By the way have u fitted any speakers to the given Nippon Head unit, if i fit asony 300 or 400w speaker will it be good.
I haven’t fitted any additional speakers as of now. Can’t really add any inputs on that.

by the way my mom is an insurance agent she only does the insurance to car, And even the dealer has agreed to it. then while delivering the vehicle to you,
And as said by anup sir i hav taken that considerance of transfer of NCB to the new car thus by saving insurance amount,
You must have made good saving on Insurance by transferring NCB.

How many km was there on the ODO, pls reply to this.
ODO had less than one (1) km at the time of delivery.

then how many days had ya waited for the car after booking, I waited for 3 weeks ,But then again he said 15 days more ,I was really annoyed by his words i said to him that he should make the vehicle available through other dealer, when i told this he said that he would make it available tomo,
Delay is surprisingly very high in your case.

I booked on Tuesday. Dealer committed one weak for delivery. However, vehicle was ready for delivery on Friday and I took delivery on Sunday. Very efficient and all my preferences were dually addressed.

how does your odo looks is it green as posted by raj else red as shown in brouchure.
ODO is red in my car. I believe ODO is red for Black and Java Brown colours.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Console lighting is green in my car.

I had to wait under a month for the 4WD, but that was with 'pull'. It is otherwise two months or more!

I transferred the WagonR to my wife, and insured the Scorpio in my name with 60% NCB, but they have capped the limit at 50% max NCB!!!!