Search of Snow - Weekend at Narkanda

Dry Ice

On a boring Monday morning, sitting in an almost empty office, I was wondering about where to go during the upcoming long weekend of 25-27 Dec. This time, I didn't want to travel too much and instead was looking for some place within 350 kms of Delhi that isn't too crowded.

After some hunting around, found a place near Narkanda - Tannijubar, a little before Thanedar. There is an old temple and lake there, good thing being, I found a great place in the vicinity - http://www.thewildernesshimalayas.com/index.php. More on it later.

But then, the memories of past long weekends came rushing in - what a nightmare it usually is to get back in Delhi after such weekends, particularly the NH1. Decided to have a go the coming weekend (18-19) itself. Took an extra leave for Friday, and we were all set.

Due to the foggy mornings, I had kept the timings flexible, and left Delhi finally around 7.30 am. Breakfast stop was at Tawa Roti, Murthal. Avoided all the known names and gave this one a shot. Wasn't really disappointed. After the BF stop, my friend took over the wheel till Apple Cart Inn, where we took a break for lunch :). We were on a holiday, you see, no rush!

I was back on the wheel from here till Narkanda. The progress so far had been good and it was around 2.30 pm when we finally rolled out of Apple Cart Inn. Thankfully, no major jams encountered in Shoghi or Shimla and we were out of the urban jungle in no time. No pictures till this point.

After crossing Shimla, we started seeing some fresh snow on the road and the hill sides. :) Lifted our spirits somewhat as I had prepared everyone to be ready for really low temperatures but no snow.

Some snapshots from the dashcam footage.

vlcsnap-2015-12-25-19h47m57s208_web.jpg

Before Kufri

vlcsnap-2015-12-25-19h49m18s202_web.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-12-25-19h50m06s217_web.jpg

Dry Ice met black ice here :D
The car fishtailed on this widish turn, but thankfully, since the speed was low, nothing happened. I was conscious enough to not brake, just took my foot off the accelerator.

The amount of Ice on the road started increasing after this point and consequently, speeds reduced.
vlcsnap-2015-12-25-19h50m07s230_web.jpg

At one point, I was headed straight to the Alto

vlcsnap-2015-12-25-19h50m26s169_web.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-12-25-19h50m31s209_web.jpg

All the vehicles were crossing the icy sections, slowly

vlcsnap-2015-12-25-19h51m05s39_web.jpg

A nicely modified Sumo 4x4 enjoying the vistas, couldn't spot any BCMT/HVK/TBHP sticker! Bummer!

vlcsnap-2015-12-25-19h51m23s226_web.jpg

Near Fagu

vlcsnap-2015-12-25-19h52m30s79_web.jpg

These 2-3 vehicles seemed like they had skidded and collided at slow speeds, body panel damages only.

vlcsnap-2015-12-25-19h53m03s171_web.jpg

HPTDC Apple Blossom, Fagu

vlcsnap-2015-12-25-19h54m05s9_web.jpg

Sunny sides of the hills were completely devoid of snow!

vlcsnap-2015-12-25-19h56m48s93_web.jpg

Fuel stop @ Theog.

vlcsnap-2015-12-25-19h57m40s115_web.jpg

Nearing Narkanda.

It was well over 7.30 pm when we finally reached our destination. Bon-fire was already in place when we reached, sat down by it for a couple of drinks to kill the chill ;)

IMG_0352_web.jpg

Dinner was served soon, and we retired to our warm 'wooden' rooms post dinner, in anticipation of the morning. And it was was truly beautiful!

IMG_0278_web.jpg

View which greeted us the next day as we got up

Contd..

Last edited:

rdp

Nice begening !
Waiting for Wilderness shots. Did not stay there but just went around in 2013 May while at Tani J lake and Thanedar.

vishal_kap

Trip Inventor
On a boring Monday morning, sitting in an almost empty office, I was wondering about where to go during the upcoming long weekend of 25-27 Dec. This time, I didn't want to travel too much and instead was looking for some place within 350 kms of Delhi that isn't too crowded.

After some hunting around, found a place near Narkanda - Tannijubar, a little before Thanedar. There is an old temple and lake there, good thing being, I found a great place in the vicinity - http://www.thewildernesshimalayas.com/index.php. More on it later.

But then, the memories of past long weekends came rushing in - what a nightmare it usually is to get back in Delhi after such weekends, particularly the NH1. Decided to have a go the coming weekend (18-19) itself. Took an extra leave for Friday, and we were all set.

Due to the foggy mornings, I had kept the timings flexible, and left Delhi finally around 7.30 am. Breakfast stop was at Tawa Roti, Murthal. Avoided all the known names and gave this one a shot. Wasn't really disappointed. After the BF stop, my friend took over the wheel till Apple Cart Inn, where we took a break for lunch :). We were on a holiday, you see, no rush!

I was back on the wheel from here till Narkanda. The progress so far had been good and it was around 2.30 pm when we finally rolled out of Apple Cart Inn. Thankfully, no major jams encountered in Shoghi or Shimla and we were out of the urban jungle in no time. No pictures till this point.

After crossing Shimla, we started seeing some fresh snow on the road and the hill sides. :) Lifted our spirits somewhat as I had prepared everyone to be ready for really low temperatures but no snow.

Some snapshots from the dashcam footage.

View attachment 652477Before Kufri

View attachment 652478
View attachment 652479 Dry Ice met black ice here :D
The car fishtailed on this widish turn, but thankfully, since the speed was low, nothing happened. I was conscious enough to not brake, just took my foot off the accelerator.

The amount of Ice on the road started increasing after this point and speeds also reduced.
View attachment 652480 At one point, I was headed straight to the Alto

View attachment 652481

View attachment 652482 All vehicles were slowly crossing the icy sections

View attachment 652483
A nicely modified Sumo 4x4 enjoying the vistas, couldn't spot any BCMT/HVK/TBHP sticker! Bummer!

View attachment 652484 Near Fagu

View attachment 652485 These 2-3 vehicles seemed like they had skidded and collided at slow speeds, body panel damages only.

View attachment 652486 HPTDC Apple Blossom, Fagu

View attachment 652487
Sunny sides of the hills were completely devoid of snow!

View attachment 652488 Our fuel stop @ Theog.

View attachment 652489
Nearing Narkanda.

It was well over 7.30 pm when we finally reached our destination. Bon-fire was already in place when we reached, sat down by it for a couple of drinks to kill the chill ;)

The morning after was truly beautiful!

View attachment 652490
View which greeted us the next day as we got up

Contd..
Nice... So you stayed @ The Wilderness??