Sep '14: Of Palaces and Forts: Royal Rajasthan

Dry Ice

Ladakh!
Ladakh?
Yes, Ladakh!
It’s too far and with all the rains in the hills - it’s not safe.
Sigh.

Himachal!
Himachal?
Yes, Himachal.
We have already been there and with all the rains in the hills - it’s not safe.
Sigh!

Uttarakha.. Never mind.
Sigh!

Kashmir!
I’ll pretend I didn’t even hear that.
Sigh!

Gujrat!
Umm, seems nice but will we get train tickets now?
What train?
Roadtrip?
Umm, yes.
:mad: ** Cold stare of death **
Sigh!

I have always wanted to see Rajasthan. It’s very colorful!
Done. We leave on 28th.
Don’t cram too many places, it’s a holiday.
Jaipur, Udaipur and Jodhpur - will be easy peasy.
Ok.

Only a married man can understand the gravity of these 2 letters - “OK”.
:rolleyes:

So finally I manage to convince my family for a road trip to Rajasthan. Not before a casualty though. Jaisalmer and beyond will have to wait. But I am not complaining. I do not want to spend the holidays at home. Rajasthan, here I come! Yippee.

Before I post further though, complying with BCMT tradition, sharing a preview of sorts. :grin:

P1010641.jpg

P1010792.jpg

IMG_20140928_192407_1412072962852.jpg

P1030112.jpg

P1020942.jpg

P1020137.jpg

P1010828.jpg

P1010699.jpg

IMG_20140930_151351.jpg

P1020706.jpg

Last edited:

Dry Ice

Sep 28, 2014
To Jaipur!

The plan is to start early. Really early by my standards. To beat the Manesar monster. But plans seldom go as per plan. I sleep a little late and get up very late. It’s 7 am and I am happily singing songs under the shower in anticipation of the road trip happiness that is about to start!

happy-quotes-1861.png

We are out of the house only by 7:40am. Contrary to popular belief, and to my huge relief, the highway is reasonably clear and we are making good progress. Gurgaon Toll, Khekri Dhaula Toll, Bilaspur, all come and go in quick succession.

P1010572.jpg

Haldirams, 36kms ahead.
Hungry kya?
** Stern look ** We haven’t had breakfast yet (My intelligent play of words, mercilessly ignored!)
OK.

After a filling breakfast, we are back on NH-8.

Jaipur, 175
We should be able to reach by noon, I guess.
Hmm

Soon the scenery starts to change and we start seeing hillocks on both sides of the road.

P1010582.jpg

P1010581.jpg

The happiness is soured a little as we get stuck in a snarl near Shahpura - all doing of a few genius truckers. Nothing life threatening though, we are out of it soon.

Our destination is actually Amer Fort, for now. Since it lies on the outskirts, I think it makes sense to explore it first and then head into the city. Google guides me fine till Amer Road but after that, it is clueless! No sweat, I stop and ask a traffic policeman. Without even looking he waves me on to turn right. Try as I might, I don’t see any right turn. Until a Jeep emerges from the turn and forces the Gau Mata to camp elsewhere. I dart in before her sisters claim the spot.

P1010612.jpg

The street is very narrow - it cannot accommodate 2 cars abreast. There are Activas and bikes parked everywhere making it appear even narrower.

As soon as I have eye contact, the slim, tall gentleman signals me to stop and lower the window. I comply. In the softest tone I have possibly heard, he says something. Unable to hear, I turn the music down.

Sir, official government approved guide. 22-points in fort, full detail, full history. No guide, no information. Charge only 200
Where is the fort parking?
Ispe upar chad jao.. guide lenge sir, 150 only, 22-point in f...
No, thank you!

The street he points me to, is near 45degress with houses/walls on both sides! All this time, I haven’t seen a single sign of a parking. After climbing a few meters, there is rope tied to the opposite wall and a young man is holding the other end.

30 rupiyaa
Where is the fort parking?
Upar, upar..

A few hairpins later, we are in the parking lot. It’s filled with Mahindra Jeeps. I somehow manage to find a cozy parking spot for the car. The entrance to the fort is still some way up - we walk and and as we enter the courtyard, we are shocked! So many people. Maybe, it’s a Sunday thing.

P1010621.jpg

Entry Gate

Sir, official government approved guide. 22-points in fort, full detail, full history. No guide, no information. Charge only 200
Another helpful guide brings me back.

What’s the crowd all about?
Navratri hain na, Mata ka mandir hai udhar, fort ka entry idhar seedhi se, ticket updar hi milega

God bless the helpful guy, we thank him and move towards the 'new' entrance. The crowd is due to the festival or auspicious time of Navratri when the Goddess is worshiped. There is a temple inside the fort and everyone is here to pay their respects.

P1010625.jpg

Main courtyard, fort entry towards right. Shops selling religious items on far left

We finally manage to get the tickets and enter.

P1010627.jpg

View of the front courtyard from ticket spot. Majority of the crowd is concentrated towards the left - not much visible here

P1010631.jpg

A panoramic shot after entering the fort

P1010635.jpg

View of the Amer city from the fort

P1010654.jpg

Diwan-e-aam

P1010646.jpg

Maota Lake Garden

P1010657.jpg

Maota Lake Garden

P1010647.jpg

Maota Lake Garden - Panorama

P1010641.jpg

Ganesh Pol - entry to private quarters of the Maharajas

P1010678.jpg

Sheesh Mahal at the far end

P1010673.jpg

P1010686.jpg

Sheesh Mahal - intricate carvings all around

P1010730.jpg

Tunnel to Jaigarh Fort

P1010728.jpg

Tunnel Entry

P1010722.jpg

Met these two gentlemen at the crafts shop

P1010741.jpg

Met this gentleman at the exit gate. He is playing the traditional home/hand made instrument - Raavan Haatha.

P1010739.jpg

Remains of the erstwhile perimeter wall maybe

By the time we are done exploring the fort, thanks to the audio guide spot numberings, its 2:00 pm. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Perfect timing genius!
I somehow bury my face deeper into the LCD of the camera and pretend to be very involved in capturing *something*. Sarcasm aside, it indeed is super hot and we are super tired.

P1010750.jpg

The way down from parking
More soon...

Last edited:

gaurav6464

It has been almost an year since I visited Amer Fort... Amazing place...and nice to see that guy still sitting there at the exit...:D
13129396763_c6633012cd_b.jpg

saneguy

Hey this is an awesome log. Great write and good pics. Pour in more :)

Reminding me on my trip to Rajasthan! Longing for another trip already!