Shanti Guest House - Leh

Dimitrz

Reclaim your life
This guest house is not as great as it is made out to be, frankly I have had better experience with oriental and other guest houses.

Having said that it does not mean its a bad guest house , its just decent place to stay nothing special.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Shanti Guest House in winter

shanti-guest-house-leh.jpg

Recently (well till this morning) stayed at the Shanti Guest House and paid Rs. 800 a night for the double bed room, which came with gas powered heater.

Food at the guest house is decent (comparatively speaking of course) and the entire family (including the cat) is pretty good and friendly, the only bit of complaint I had was the fact that the bathroom of the second room we stayed at (thanks to Sai and Anand, who captured our room) was a bit too small. Overall, not really a bad option at the price, especially considering the friendly environment.

nginx

Yogesh, you paid Rs. 800 for double bedroom in January but they are asking for Rs. 1200 for a double bedroom in February (when I will be visiting Leh). Did you have to pay extra for food or it was all included? After reading about their normal rate in this thread, I am confused why they are asking so much from us.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Food wasn't included in that price, I believe Sai and Anand paid around 1k for the package which included food.

Another thing, when I checked through email, I was quoted 1k for room without any food and when I checked on phone, I was quoted 800bucks for room without food.

nginx

I called them up again to bargain a bit but the owner of Shanti Guest House won't budge. 1200 it is with breakfast and dinner included. Will have to pay extra for lunch from their restaurant :(

Am I getting a sour deal?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
If that's the case, then get the room without breakfast and dinner. That way you will pay for what you eat. In any case, unless you are sick, you won't be eating lunch at their restaurant and would be eating it outside and even dinner at time could be eaten outside. Of course you will have to let them know few hours in advance, otherwise you won't get anything to eat.

nginx

The main reason for taking the package which includes breakfast and dinner is food is usually very expensive in the mountains which was my experience in Kashmir where I had to spend around 600 bucks on food daily. Also there are question marks regarding whether breakfast will be available anywhere early in the morning.