Shanti Guest House - Leh

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
I for one wouldn’t recommend roaming around (on foot) in Leh after dark, that’s when the dogs there are in their most aggressive mood.

saritsinha

Is it possible to get any discount ( Off-Season discount ) at the Shanti Guest House, we will be there on 1st October 2012…

bunnypunia

Stayed here on 19th and 22nd nights. Paid 1000 for the room.

19th: Got the first floor room : good cosy room but no TV. Not hot water too (we checked-in at around 10:15pm). Breakfast frankly was below average (not included in room rent). Life safer : Wi-fi!

21st: Checked in at around 9:30pm. Got the big ground floor room - way lower in quality than the first floor room. No hot water again! Life saver : wi-fi

In all, its worth to stay here only if you need wi-fi. Negative issue is the lack of shops / restaurants around. Hotel Tso Moriri in main market at 1200 bucks felt like a better deal

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
So food continues to be the major negative point of Shanti Guest House, but I guess it is alright for those who do not like salty and spicy stuff i.e. foreigners.

Would really appreciate if you can post a proper review of Tso Moriri hotel, since it sounds like a good option.

Indizen

We had checked out this guest house and found it to be very mediocre.
The rooms were very basic and all messed up.
The coffee we had over there was horrible.
But the most important point is that this place is far from the main town.
Do not stay here, unless you have no other option, and only if you have your own bike.
There is no car parking.

Oriental hotel next door was a better place, and more professionally run.

But it's best to stay at one of the many hotels and guest houses in central Leh, such as the ones on Fort road.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Latest update, no running water or central heating at the moment. Charge for single person is 2.5k, without any food. Aunty no longer wishes to talk to people and it is all handled now by their employee.

For this sort of money, hotels around market are better options, since there is no place to eat near Shanti.

chandan.dey

Latest update, no running water or central heating at the moment. Charge for single person is 2.5k, without any food. Aunty no longer wishes to talk to people and it is all handled now by their employee.

For this sort of money, hotels around market are better options, since there is no place to eat near Shanti.
Hello YS,

Can you please suggest me some budget hotel or guesthouse at Leh. If it is within 1.5k for MAP plan for two person that will be helpful for me in the month of late Aug. Need your expert suggestion.

I hard about oriental guesthouse which is within my budget, but unfortunately they are not picking up call. :(

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Oriental and majority of guest houses and hotels are closed during winter. They will reopen in May, then you should be able to call and book them.

delhitrekker

not all those who wander are lost !!
Shanti Guest House's owners Son Mr. Dorjey is now Vice President of ALTOA and I guess everyone knows How ALTOA is destroying tourism in Ladakh

rkbharat

Guru
Meanwhile I payed them 3200 Rs for two nights this winter. service has gone down drastically, room heating doesn't start on time, food is tasteless (that could be just me). Despite all that, they are doing good business.

Personal touch for which I was their customer for so many seasons is not there any more and its managed completely by staff.

But may be its working for them as with more business, they can not keep up that personal touch.

Though this time I stayed for a night in Panaroma as well and I liked it more than Shanti. They run room heating on time and keep it on for longer duration. Though they charged me 2000 INR for a night

Sia La people are still big enough to ask 3500 INR for a night (after discount)

Last edited: