Shimla-Kufri-Rohru (Pabbar Valley): Advise required

Cool Boy

Hello,

I'm planning to visit Shimla-Kufri-Rohru Pabbar Valley) in first week of May, please suggest the following:

1) Is it worth to visit Rohru?

2) Road condition from Shimla to Rohru

2) Places to visit in Rohru

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
1. If you enjoy driving in the hills and are looking for somewhat off-beat place with not a whole lot of things to do and see and don’t need snow, then Rohru is a good option.

2. Mostly good.

3. In Rohru? Not many. It is just a large town in Himachal along the Pabbar River. However, if you like off-road driving, then Chanshal Pass and Giri Ganga are a good bet. There are also beautiful temples en route, like the one at Kotkhai and Hatkoti.

amitjatt

Recently went to rohru, but if you look from a different perspective pabbar valley is mostly devoid of tourist rush.
1.rather than going straight from theog to kharapatthar try the detour via tahu road, beautiful views.
2.staying in rohru and touching chanshal and coming back try to stay in larot (there is a hostel there.
3. When going to chanshal try chanshal peek and lake. (if weather, health permits)
4.drive down to dodra, kwar (Forest rest house from DFO rohru to be booked).
5. Try to go to jiskoon road not present but still can walk ( FRH present there too)
6.And definitely stay in rohru is limited to hptdc and 2-3 budget hotels but you should try sandasu (a little ahead of rohru) and beautiful location of PWD hostel just near Community health centre sandasu.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

amitjatt

Went to chanshal yesterday, the only two dhabas left at top have packed up and left after noticing recent snowfall. The autumn has started to set in chanshal pass. Apple is mostly over.

mchadha

Hi yogesh. I was planning to go to pabbar valley and rohru from 17 to 21 Oct from delhi. Any news on the roads and whether I should go there or elsewhere. Planned a bit late as not sure if leaves. Day 1 Delhi to kharapathar. Day 2 kharapathar to rohru. Stay rohru and local sightseeing. Day 3 try for chanshal pass till wherever I can go....either in a local taxi or my EcoSport. Stay rohru. Day 4 buffer day at either rohru/kharapathar/chail. Day 5 back to Delhi. Need to unwind and be away from the maddening crowd.....

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
If you're looking for a place to unwind and away from the crowd and don't need much to do, then drive ahead of Rohu to Sungri and stay at the PWD Rest House there (only 2 rooms and only place to stay in village.) Between Kharapathar and Rohru, you can also take a diversion to Giri Ganga, but the trail is rough.

mchadha

Went to chanshal yesterday, the only two dhabas left at top have packed up and left after noticing recent snowfall. The autumn has started to set in chanshal pass. Apple is mostly over.

Hi Amit. I am planning to go to pabbar valley from 17 to 21oct. Need help for few issues from you as you recently travelled to the place.

Firstly what route do you recommend from Delhi and how are the road conditions. Any landslides etc on the way?? Delhi-shimla-theog-kharaparhar-rohru is what I wAs thinking.

Secondly, what are the places/things one can do there...at kharapathar and rohru

Thirdly,keeping in mind that chanshal pass may be closed, is it advisable to go on that road to as far as possible or not and how are the roads from rohru to chanshal? Should I hire a local taxi for this leg or it would be safe to take my EcoSport.
Fourthly, is the river accessible close to rohru where we can spend the day by the Riverside with my kids. They are 13 & 9 years. Thanks for your help in advance.

Yogesh Bhai and satinder paaji help with the iternery requested from you too as I need to decide how many nights to stay at each place and book accordingly. As regards Sungri, will go there but since it's a desolate place and booking cannot be done online , will not prefer night stay there with kids I think.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk

amitjatt

I just want to convey that landslide on theog - kharapatthar - rohru is a very big problem and i dont know the reason why they aren't being removed fast.

This month only i went and last month too both the times i had to take the tau road which is narrow and considering the last season of apple as machines are being stopped the loaded carriers on this road with Apple makes it difficult because its made for two small cars only, not a 407.

So take the narkanda rohru road which though is a little bit long but is not much frequented by trucks and is a little easy too.

A 15 - 20 km stretch is present which is katcha road.

Rest that route is fine, metalled (do download offline maps as internet doesn't work there and there are many diversions.

Chanshal route is fine just two places where there is mud rest can be done.

But the two makeshift dhabas present above are gone now and when i went there it was pretty chilly and due to recent snowfall chances are chanshal would close quite early.