Shocking news

citymonk

Super User
Which log says he cancelled Leh trip?
His own Blog at YogeshSarkar. Com

"However, miracles do not happen, at least not for me. Therefore, the Ladakh trip has been cancelled, even though I cannot cancel flight tickets and I will be free around that time. I am yet to decide, on what to do with that week. Maybe I’ll travel elsewhere or maybe I’ll stay in Delhi, only time will tell."

State of The Sarkar, September 2019 - YogeshSarkar.com

No one has said he died IN pangong
@J. Ravi he has first hand information as he checked in leh during that time. Hope his post qouted below
helps to tell you, who said that.

Yesterday night, we checked into Otsal Guest House, Leh. When Otsal informed me of the demise of Yogesh Sarkar, I was shocked. In fact, I told him that he might be referring to some other Yogesh. He was visibly upset to confirm that it was indeed Yogesh Sarkar of BCMTouring. I was told he died at Pangong Tso. Since I was driving continuously since 23/09, I could not log on to BCMTouring or FB. Very shocking. RIP, Yogesh Sarkar. We will all be missing you.
Which wise-guy are you talking about? Name him.
Maybe he means initial reports which said he died in Leh.
And for me It is Dark Side of Sun, who is also a moderator and staff member here. He too was in shock initially like all of us and adviced wisely to all members to save their Data on Face book pages before BCMT dies out suddenly like YS. And that was right advice on initial day when everything was speculative only.

Where does it say he died in leh?
Again social media speculating posts. Even other forums are discussing his tragic death.
I think you can help here in following map. What had happened exactly. I do not think anyone in this forum has posted what has happened exactly.
Maybe his companions can post here, if they feel it is fine to do that. This will stop speculations, if any.

This is map of area and it may help to explain his last foot prints.

Leh – Shey – Karu [45 kms]
Karu – Shakti – Chang La [40 kms]
Chang La – Durbuk – Tangste [60 kms]
Tangste – Lukung – Spangmik – Pangong Tso [30 kms]

leh-to-pangong-tso-road-map.jpg

Last edited:

gkapoor

Super User
Ok. I did not read his september blog about trip being cancelled. However he went to ladakh, we all know that from his subsequent posts.

Also, there is a difference between "died at pangong" and "died in pangong". Merak/Tangste both are considered being "at pangong". As said earlier he felt discomfort at merak and was then brought to tangste. My source of info is BCMT WA group and this info came the same day of the news.

citymonk

Super User
Also, there is a difference between "died at pangong" and "died in pangong". Merak/Tangste both are considered being "at pangong".
I do not get it, difference between 'in' and 'at'.
This is what everyone here wants to know, what exactly happened? You people are discussing his death elsewhere hidden from forum. This is resulting in unnecessary speculations and assumptions here.

Actual facts can be verified easily from.

1. His companions and Driver of Taxi included.

2. Villagers of Merak.
3. Doctors and para medic staff ( Post Mortem report)
4. Local friends at Leh.

Do you or group members know what his Post Mortem says.

dsd

Musafir
I do not get it, difference between 'in' and 'at'.
This is what everyone here wants to know, what exactly happened? You people are discussing his death elsewhere hidden from forum. This is resulting in unnecessary speculations and assumptions here.

Actual facts can be verified easily from.

1. His companions and Driver of Taxi included.

2. Villagers of Merak.
3. Doctors and para medic staff ( Post Mortem report)
4. Local friends at Leh.

Do you or group members know what his Post Mortem says.
Bhaji without going into details, Ys was at Merak when he had some breathing trouble, he went to Lukung and first aid was given, from there he went to Tangste where he left this world. Post Mortem is done in most of cases when a tourist/traveller/visitor dies and his or her body is to be transported from that place to the native place. I think almost all your questions has been answered.

citymonk

Super User
Bhaji without going into details, Ys was at Merak when he had some breathing trouble, he went to Lukung and first aid was given, from there he went to Tangste where he left this world. Post Mortem is done in most of cases when a tourist/traveller/visitor dies and his or her body is to be transported from that place to the native place. I think almost all your questions has been answered.
Very Sad enough that he could not reach Tangste Hospital. It is clear that he was struck with AMS at Merak and hence was advised to move to lower altitude. AMS they say is usually not Fatal. If it further complicates to HAPE or HACE then it is life threatening situation.
Also I read symptoms of HAPE go away on their own if suffering person decends to lower Altitude.

Was he able to reach Lower Altitude. ?

Could it be HACE which took him away ?

Big Daddy

Super User
It could be anything including heart attack and stroke. Let's see what the postmortem report says. Breathing troubles also lead to pressure on the heart.

clubbsoda

If this is true, then it is too saddening and heart breaking for all of us. Yogesh was the guiding light, through this site, for my two trips to Leh. In fact, we had an amazing time because we were so thoroughly prepared after reading in detail, all the info given here. Me and my friends heartily salute the man who was so passionate about travel and adventure, and made it possible for us (nearing 50yrs crowd) to travel to such a magnificent land. Rest in peace, dear Yogesh. May God bless you with eternal stay at his holy feet. I do hope someone continues with this blog, since Yogesh always said, " The journey never ends......"

citymonk

Super User
It could be anything including heart attack and stroke. Let's see what the postmortem report says. Breathing troubles also lead to pressure on the heart.
He was very particular to take care of cold weathers. He adviced all on type of warm clothes, inners, Scarfs, multi layering of cloth, wind cheaters e.t.c. and dry fruits, hot water to potential visitors to Ladakh.

Yes I too am waiting for Post Mortem report to come. I assume it was HACE and not HAPE which took him away from us.