Short break in Garhwal - one night in Landour, two near Nag Tibba

bora

The plan was to head out to the hills for a short break. It was a while since we ventured out (the last run to the hills was more than a year ago), to Barot.

Destination wasn’t decided till we reached Dehra Dun... but interesting few days followed.

Here are a few teasers:

Last edited:

bora

A couple of friends delayed our sleep the night before, by dropping in for dinner. So, it was past 2 am when we finally slept. The wake up alarms went off, and by the time we hit the road, it was 8 am. The new elevated road towards Raj Nagar Extension is a breeze and shortly afterwards Google Maps took us through the Ganga Canal Road. I was on the Canal Road many years ago on a motorcycle, but this time it was a revelation. Smooth Tarmac, road widened and you bypass Murad Nagar, which is the biggest blessing.

Last edited:

bora

A couple of friends delayed our sleep the night before, by dropping in for dinner. So, it was past 2 am when we finally slept. The wake up alarms went off, and by the time we hit the road, it was 8 am. The new elevated road towards Raj Nagar Extension is a breeze and shortly afterwards Google Maps took us through the Ganga Canal Road. I was on the Canal Road many years ago on a motorcycle, but this time it was a revelation. Smooth Tarmac, road widened and you bypass Murad Nagar, which is the biggest blessing.

bora

After crossing Dehra Dun, we decided to head to Landour and just have a look around. Meanwhile, suggestions from a couple of friends on where to go were coming in... Long story short, we spent a lot of time in Landour, having some coffee and fabulous cake at the bakery. And then it was too late to head anywhere else. Took a call not to drive in the dark and find digs for the night. Checked out the Rokeby Manor, but it turned out to be an overpriced hotel which we didn’t find suitable for our choice. The Ivy Guest House offered a decent deal, but it was also more or less a commercial guest house. In the meantime, the wife was on the phone with someone in The Goat Village. She was like, “I don’t want to stay where I can see Dehra Dun. Delhi seems just beyond the Doon skyline.”

Don’t blame her. We had some fabulous times in the past - Jibhi, Barot, and quite a few places. Her idea was to be as far as possible from civilisation. But my rationale was that with the weather report, we should stick close to bigger towns, in case it snows heavily, so at least the roads will be cleared soon. Eventually, someone in The Goat Village put her in touch with the management at La Villa Bethany in Landour. And we decided to spend the night there.

bora

La Villa Bethany served great food and hosted some interesting people. It was quite cold but the sun peeked out the next day. It was time to head to The Goat Village, near Nag Tibba. Google showed the drive itself to Pantwari, the closest village was over 3 hours. After a simple breakfast, we set out. It was almost noon, so we decided to have lunch somewhere on the way.

subhankar paul

And miles to go before I sleep
Very interesting and beautiful style of reporting. I'm planning a Garhwal trip in May. Would be happy to get the details of Landaur hotel.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk