Simplified explanation of Histogram

bulldozer

Thanks a lot Henry. I have never understood Histogram now at least I know what they are meant to be. Will check this from now on

Ladakh_Maniac

Henry, I have a small question.
I have good understanding of histograms and colours.

But when I see option to capture B&W pictures I often think what is the actual use of this. In other words, Is there any difference between capturing a picture in B&W
mode and the one captured in Colour and converted to B&W using any typical DIP software? Because if we capture in colour then anyway we can convert them to B&W whenever we wish to see them that way.

Pl elaborate for me.

turbohead

In Pursuit of Happyness
A Very knowledgeable tutorial indeed, I always wondered what those graphs means.
Thanks a lot Henry for explain the same in detail.

Also please explain in brief (if possible by giving pictorial example) as how we can utilise the same for improving the images.

hensil

Guru
Henry, I have a small question.
I have good understanding of histograms and colours.

But when I see option to capture B&W pictures I often think what is the actual use of this. In other words, Is there any difference between capturing a picture in B&W
mode and the one captured in Colour and converted to B&W using any typical DIP software? Because if we capture in colour then anyway we can convert them to B&W whenever we wish to see them that way.

Pl elaborate for me.
Hi,
All digital sensor cameras with Bayer interpolation always captures a scene in color (one camera from Leica is an exception). The B&W mode is an effect applied afterwards. If you are shooting in RAW and have applied B&W effect, when you open the file in SW you'll see all the colors intact.
So as you said shooting in B&W mode in DSLR does not make any sense unless you are only shooting in JPEG and do not want to process the picture further.
Henry

- - - Updated - - -

A Very knowledgeable tutorial indeed, I always wondered what those graphs means.
Thanks a lot Henry for explain the same in detail.

Also please explain in brief (if possible by giving pictorial example) as how we can utilise the same for improving the images.
Ok, when I get some time I'll work on a pictures and show the difference. I'll try to shoot a video which should be better.
Henry