Singapore - An ideal holiday destination for Kids

Sachin Jatkar

We got refreshed and had breakfast at the hotel but the overnight journey had taken its toll. While my wife and son rested, I ventured to check out the surrounding area. The aim was to visit Outram park MRT station and get the EZ Link or Nets Flashpay cards that can be used for travelling in MRT or public buses. These cards are stored value contactless smart cards that can be used while travelling on buses and MRT or LRT. The cards are also accepted in some taxis, at Macdonald’s outlets and also in Sentosa express. With these cards you do not have to dig your pockets for change while travelling using public transport. All that is needed is a quick tap on the card readers at MRT stations and in public buses. This is especially useful as public bus drivers will not return any change if you do not give the exact fare amount. A big advantage of using these cards is the discount you get on standard fares while travelling using public transport.

You can go to any Transit Link ticket offices which are located in all MRT stations and many bus interchanges. The cards are also available at 7/11 outlets but I would recommend you to buy it from the Transit Link office as you get more stored value in the card when you buy it from them. I asked for directions to Outram park station and walked the 1 Km distance. Singapore has very good footpaths which are very wide in most places, so you can walk without any traffic hindrance. However this is very energy sapping due to the hot and humid climate and inconvenient if it is raining.

There was no queue at the Transit Link ticket office at Outram park station and I approached the window and asked for 2 adult and 1 child EZ Link cards. You need a card for each traveller. The girl at the window asked me how many days we would be in Singapore and if we would use the public transport extensively. I told her that we would be in Singapore for 5 days and planned to use public transport extensively. She suggested buying Nets Flashpay cards for adults as they come with more stored value when you purchase them. Buying the Nets Flashpay card costs S$15 /adult of which S$5 is a non-refundable card cost while S$10 is the travel value that can be used while using public transport. Buying an EZ Link card costs S$12 of which S$5 is a non-refundable card cost while S$7 is the travel value that can be used while using public transport. Both cards can be topped up with a minimum value of S$10 if you exhaust the initial stored travel value. The cards can be topped up even at the automated ticket vending machine or any manned ticket windows.

Picture of how the Child card and Nets Flashpay smart card looks like.
DSC_0821.jpg

The child card is a concession card which can be purchased by tourists only upon producing a copy of your child’s passport. As child fares are significantly lower as compared to adult fares this is of great benefit. Please note that children below 0.9 meters (3 feet) can travel for free on public buses and MRT. For children above 0.9 meters and below 7 years of age, a child card can be purchased. Buying a child card costs S$10 of which S$5 is a non-refundable card cost while S$5 is the travel value. The card can be topped up with a minimum value of S$5. The details of your child as given in his passport are coded in to the card and the card will stop functioning on 30th April of the year your child turns 7.

Please note that although the initial card cost of S$5 is non-refundable you can get a refund on any remaining travel value. The refund however is only given at Transit Link ticket offices which are only open up to 1930 or 2100. You can check the ticket office locations and timings here Transit Link Product & Services . Please do not consider this non-refundable deposit for each card as a deterrent, as using the cards will also give you good discount when you use them on public transport. So if you are going to stay in Singapore for 3 days or more and use the public transport extensively, you will most probably recover the entire S$5 that you paid as non-refundable card cost not to mention the convenience of using the cards. Also the Nets Flashpay card is valid for 7 years and you can use it again if you return to Singapore. For more information on the cards please check Transit Link Product & Services .

If you do not buy a stored value smart card, the other option of travelling on public transport is to pay each time you travel on a bus or MRT. For travel in public buses you can pay the driver in cash but as I have mentioned they will not return change if you do not give exact fare. For travel in MRT, you can purchase a standard ticket for each traveller using the automatic ticket vending machines available at all MRT stations. The vending machines will accept notes and coins of certain value and return change back if applicable. These standard tickets also need to be tapped at the card readers to enter and exit MRT station platforms. However as I have mentioned earlier, the charges when you use a standard ticket are higher as compared to using a EZ Link or Nets Flashpay smart card. The standard MRT tickets cannot be used in public buses, and are valid for up to 30 days from the date of purchase or up to 6 trips. For more details on standard ticket please visit Transit Link Product & Services .

Picture of a standard MRT ticket
DSC_0822.jpg

Very Important – Please note that you need to tap the smart cards on card readers both when you enter and exit public transport be it buses or trains. If you do not tap the card when you exit a public bus, the value of the entire journey of that bus service will be deducted from your card. In MRT you will anyway have to tap the card to exit the MRT station so there is nothing to worry about.

Just to demonstrate the savings using an EZ Link or Nets Flashpay smart card as against using a standard ticket you can go to the SMRT link Network Map . I have in the picture given below, demonstrated travelling from Outram park station to Choa chu kang station (for going to Singapore zoo and Night safari) using MRT. I have selected the starting point as Outram Park and End point as Choa chu kang. The website will automatically give the trip details including the number of stations in between, whether you need to transfer from one MRT line to the other, approximate travel time and most importantly the cost. As you can see, the standard one way ticket will cost S$2.10 /person as opposed to S$1.66 /person using a smart card. Also note that if you use a child card it will cost your child only S$0.58 as opposed to S$2.10 if you had to purchase a standard ticket for the child. Also note that for this trip, you have to change from the green line to red line at Jurong East station. You can get the same information in detail by using gothere.sg .

SMRT.JPG

Whew!!! That was a lot of information and hopefully readers would now have understood how to use the Singapore public transport system using both smart cards and standard tickets or paying directly to bus drivers.

Last edited:

Viny

Yups, it is probably one of best tlog which has been pinned down to some very important details.
Surely will help a many, a good research and study done.

Sachin Jatkar

This is fantastic, Sachin.
Very informative.
Thanks Amit :)

Yups, it is probably one of best tlog which has been pinned down to some very important details.
Surely will help a many, a good research and study done.
Thanks Viny for the compliments :). I will soon continue with the t'log and give information on all places we visited along with details of how to reach, ticket prices and other tips. But the work week has now started, so updates will come a bit slow :(

medpal

fantastic details about singapore.

this can become the reference guide for future travellers on BCMT.

rated the thread.

Sachin Jatkar

wonderful coverage Sachin :)
Thank You :)

Very informative and detailed log can be titled A Novice"s giude to Singapore !
Thank You :). That's a really nice compliment. Hope many people benefit from it.

fantastic details about singapore.

this can become the reference guide for future travellers on BCMT.

rated the thread.
Thank you :). Your 5 star rating has made my day :)