Singapore - An ideal holiday destination for Kids

Sachin Jatkar

The next day we took the Green line from Outram park station to Jurong East station. It’s a 500 mts walk from the station to Science Centre Singapore (SCS). You need to take Exit A from Jurong East station and walk beyond JCube mall, cross the road to reach SCS.

Science Centre Singapore is dedicated to the promotion of science and technology among students and members of the public. As a leading Science Centre in the region, it has twelve exhibition galleries with more than 1000 interactive exhibits. In addition to that you can also enjoy watching movies mainly about nature at their omni theatre (IMAX dome) and kids can play in the Snow City which is Singapore’s first permanent indoor snow centre.

Please visit SCS site for more visitors information including combo tickets and offers SCS Home

Some tips for visiting SCS:

• SCS is open between 10AM to 6PM on all days.
• Combo ticket options for SCS, Omni theatre and Snow city are available if you want to visit more than one of these attractions in a day and it’s cheaper than buying individual tickets. We bought the combo option for SCS and Omni theatre.
• Pick up the brochure containing various show timings at the ticket counter or entrance and try to attend as many shows as possible as they are very interactive for kids and there is a lot to learn.
• Take time and experience the many different exhibits as there is so much to learn. One of the must visit ones is the "Scientist for a day" exhibit.
• The water park inside SCS is like a magnet for children. Carry change of clothes. Although the water parked is a themed one with emphasis on learning concepts related to water, children just have fun running around and getting drenched.
• There is a McDonald’s at the entrance to SCS and a small cafeteria but these do not have much vegetarian options. You can walk across to the JCube mall food court for more options.
• Unless you have not seen a movie in a dome (IMAX) you can skip the omni theatre.

Show timings at SCS
SCS show timings.JPG

List of permanent exhibitions at SCS
SCS exhibitions.JPG

Temporary exhibition that was going on when we visited. "Mega Bugs Return". The entry fee for this exhibition was extra.
DSC_0745.JPG

Model of an "Apatosauras" at the entrance.
DSC_0747.JPG

One of the many exhibits in the "Sound" gallery.
DSC_0750.JPG

How to make a cloud
DSC_0754.JPG

We saw many school children out there on school trips.
DSC_0757.JPG

"Untamed Earth" section
DSC_0759.JPG

Does my set match?
DSC_0767.JPG

Sachin Jatkar

We saw the movie “China – A Panda adventure” which tells the true story of Ruth Harkness, a fiercely independent woman who travels to the mysterious forests of China to follow in her late husband's footsteps and achieve his dream of bringing the first live Giant Panda to America. The length of the movie is about 40 minutes and way the story is told is not that great. So unless you have never experienced watching a movie in an IMAX dome, you can skip this.

We got back to the hotel by 4PM and after relaxing for some time it was decided that I would head towards the Merlion Park, while my wife (who had already seen it) took our son to the hotel swimming pool. I took bus route 195 from the bus stop behind our hotel and reached the stop near Merlion Park in 15 minutes. It’s a very short walk from the Parliament place bus stop and the views are magnificent.

Bus route 195.JPG

The Merlion is a mythical creature with the head of a lion and the body of a fish. Its name combines "mer" meaning the sea and "lion". The fish body represents Singapore's origin as a fishing village when it was called Temasek, which means "sea town" in Javanese. The lion head represents Singapore's original name — Singapura — meaning "lion city" or "kota singa".

Singapore Esplanade area and the Singapore Flyer
DSC_0788.JPG

DSC_0796.JPG

DSC_0801.JPG

The beautiful Merlion statue. You have to get a picture taken with the Merlion in background as a memory of your visit to Singapore.
DSC_0791.JPG

DSC_0793.JPG

The Merlion Park is a major tourist attraction and a landmark of Singapore. You can see the Singapore esplanade on one side with the Singapore flyer next to it, the Marina Bay Sands hotel across Singapore River and the famous Singapore Central Business District skyline. The ambiance around the Park is very lively and one can just sit and enjoy the view with the soothing sound of water splashing from the Merlion’s mouth in the background. I had reached just before the dusk was settling in and spent about 45 minutes taking pictures and taking in the amazing surrounding.

The famous Marina Bay Sands hotel across Singapore River.
DSC_0802.JPG

DSC_0799.JPG

Singapore Central Business District skyline.
DSC_0810.JPG

DSC_0814.JPG

As I had to meet my family for dinner at 8PM, I reluctantly left the Park before it was completely dark thereby losing the opportunity of taking pictures of a beautifully lit Singapore esplanade at night. I walked a few meters to the bus stop opposite Singapore Cricket Club and took bus route 75 back to Holiday Inn Atrium. I was to meet my family outside one of the many local seafood restaurants near our hotel, but they were not there when I arrived. I went ahead and had crab meat fried rice with prawn’s gravy at a local Chinese restaurant and was surprised that the taste was not much different to what we get in the “Indian Chinese” restaurants in Mumbai. Thankfully they served the food with a fork and spoon as opposed to chop sticks. The bill came to S$27 but then seafood is never cheap.

I walked back to my hotel to find that my son had fallen asleep and hence my wife could not make it. They later ordered through room service. We finished our packing and scheduled a wakeup call for 4AM in the morning as we had an early morning flight back. We had already booked a taxi for next day morning at the hotel concierge desk.

We reached Changi airport at about 0600 for our 0825 flight back to Mumbai. It was a pleasant surprise to see that there was no line for check-in and we had to wait hardly 5 minutes to get through immigration. We picked up some souvenirs such as Merlion statues (palm sized one is available for approx. S$12), fridge magnets (S$5 each but there are schemes like buy 3 get 1 free on these), cotton bags with fine batik print like Singapore airlines stewardess dress (S$26 each) and lots of chocolates. There is a “Discover Singapore” shop in duty free where you can pick up all types of souvenirs if you missed doing that in the city.

Please note that security guidelines at Changi airport with regard to carrying liquids in hand held baggage is very strict. Please check the guidelines Guidelines at Other Destinations - Changi Airport . It’s best to put all your perfumes, gels or aerosol cans in the checked in luggage. However if you purchase any of these items including Liquor in the duty free, the same is packed in a transparent sealed tamper proof bag with the receipt clearly visible. This is allowed on the flight.

Our family holiday in Singapore had been a wonderful experience especially for my son. Singapore has lots for everyone and loads for the kids. It’s indeed an ideal destination for a family holiday with kids and a very senior citizen friendly place as well.

I have come to the end of my t’log but will try to give some information about the attractions which we missed as soon as I get some time. Do post questions if any and I will try and assist to the best of my knowledge.

Sachin Jatkar

All in All, fantastic.
Thanks Amit :)

superb detailed narration.

have bookmarked as future reference.
Thanks Medpal :)

A list of attractions which we wanted to cover while in Singapore but missed due to lack of time.

Underwater world and Dolphin Lagoon - UnderWaterWorld.com.sg - HOME & UnderWaterWorld.com.sg - DOLPHIN LAGOON
Cable Car - Singapore Cable Car | Official Site
Adventure Cove waterpark - Marine Life Park | Adventure Cove Water Park | Resorts World Sentosa
Songs of the Sea show - Songs of the Sea - Beaches - Attraction - Home
Gardens by the Bay - Gardens by the Bay
Botanical gardens - Singapore Botanic Gardens - Index Page
Singapore Flyer - Singapore Flyer | A Moving Experience At Every Turn
Clarke Quay - Clarke Quay Reviews - Singapore, Singapore Attractions - TripAdvisor
Orchard Road - Orchard Road Reviews - Singapore, Singapore Attractions - TripAdvisor
China Town - Chinatown Reviews - Singapore, Singapore Attractions - TripAdvisor
Arab Street - Arab Street - Singapore - Reviews of Arab Street - TripAdvisor

Expenses incurred for 2 adults and 1 child for a 6 nights stay in Singapore including airfare and shopping just to give you an idea of what to expect. For a family of 3 it will cost you about INR 175,000 for a 6 nights in Singapore but the cost can go up or down depending on the choices you make with respect to travel, hotels, attractions to visit etc.

• Air Tickets (Mumbai - Singapore economy class return airfare) - INR 23000 / person
  • Visa Charges - S$ 30 /person + agent charges
  • Attraction Tickets - S$ 235
  • Food - S$ 305
  • Hotel - S$ 1235
  • Miscellaneous - S$ 70
  • Public Transport - S$ 60
  • Shopping - S$ 425
  • Taxis - S$ 115

medpal

very detailed guide,

even if you spent 6 nights there you could not cover all the attractions, so what is the ideal time you need to cover everything. 8 nights?

Sachin Jatkar

a very detailed and useful GUIDE log , clear thinking and snaps!
Thank you rdp :)

very detailed guide,

even if you spent 6 nights there you could not cover all the attractions, so what is the ideal time you need to cover everything. 8 nights?
Thank you Medpal for your generous comments throughout this t'log :). To answer your question, we had 5 full days in Singapore and we mostly visited attractions that would require spending 4-6 hours each. Come to think of it we could have easily covered areas like Clarke Quay, Orchard road, Chinatown and Arab street in the evenings. However we decided against pushing ourselves considering that we were on a holiday and had a 6 year old who would really not enjoy these places. Also almost all places we visited involved a lot of walking which is tiring considering Singapore's hot and humid weather. If you are travelling without children you can cover a lot more but then one would not visit many of the places we visited if they are travelling without children. If someone really wants to see all the attractions that Singapore has to offer then definitely 5 full days will not be enough. Otherwise if you list down the attractions of your choice, draw up a plan and stick to it, 5 full days are good enough. We also spent a lot of time with family friends in Singapore which we had not originally planned.

adsatinder

explorer
Great Singapore...................
Great Captures.................
Great Coverage.............
Great Detail..............