Snow-laden Himachal and Heavenly Uttarakhand

Pardeep Dhounchak

जाट देवता ने कहा है : घुमक्कड़ी किस्मत से मिलती है
Super teaser ......
Just floodedddd the T-log with your superrrrr trip

Point Zero

Day 3 (Karnal to Narkanda, Himachal):

Starting early morning was out of question. With the outside fog, risk also started fogging in my mind.The car penetrated through the fog like a beam of light through darkness. I always believe that safety is not a part time job, rather it is an full time practice. Hence, I was the slowest one among the rest the cars, others seemed to have clear vision through the fog.After studying the driving pattern of all the drivers, I choice a sweeper car and followed it maintaining a safe distance gap. From nowhere an Innova entered and spoiled the resonance.

TKD_4206.jpg

TKD_4207.jpg

Visibility at Karnal evan at 8:30 AM.

I gave the car pass to move ahead but it kept boggling around me. Later the car was lost in the herd but just at the onset of the city when I stopped behind a Zen in the signal, the same Innova bumped into. Losing control on the speed, the driver was unable to stop the car at the signal and punched its bonnet against the back of Bolero. The radiator of the Innova was smashed and had a breakdown. On the other had my silencer pipe was ramped under the rear foot slab and the back bumper has cracked, rest all fine. My car was pushed ahead and banged the Zen in my front whose bumper was in turn cracked and my front bumper was punched towards the bonnet. With the help of the police standing there, I managed to get only the claim money from the driver and closed the incident there.

Dangerous Fog Karnal to Chandigarh 9 AM

We were not willing to lose time, as it was just the start of the day. With the money I had, the car was serviced for the trivial damages caused. We had already lost a lot of time in all these mess and so had to rush towards the day-end drive and hence got in Narkanda by around 4:30 pm. This was the end of the day travel.While the view of the snow-clad peaks from Narkanda Circuit House was corking, the sunset on the other side colored the place with hopes for the remaining days of the trip and we enjoyed it with a cup of tea. The staff of Narkanda guesthouse made the stay cozy with their warm behavior. There is a restaurant in the market place “The New Himalayan Dhaba” which serves nice food. I captured the guesthouse in the darkness of the night as the white building shined.

Solan to Narkanda

TKD_4214.jpg

Sunset from Narkanda Circuit House
TKD_4221.jpg

TKD_4225.jpg

Circuit House - Our stay at Narkanda.

Day_03.JPG

Day_03_Map

To be continued ...

Point Zero

Day 4 (Narkanda to Kalpa, Himachal):

In the morning hue Narkanda was invigorating and blissful. The staff of the guesthouse greeted us with morning tea and asked us to start off early morning as fog will again impair vision. He propounded the idea to visit Kalpa and then move to Chitkul the next day. Tabo was fully covered with snow so had no option but to opt out of it.

TKD_4240.jpg

Sunlight on Narkanda Circuit House
TKD_4244.jpg

View from Narkanda Circuit House
TKD_4251.jpg

Perimeter of Narkanda Circuit House
TKD_4255.jpg

View from Narkanda Circuit House
TKD_4266.jpg

Other side view from Narkanda Circuit House
TKD_4267.jpg

TKD_4268.jpg

TKD_4273.jpg

TKD_4276.jpg

TKD_4280.jpg

Ready to start for Kalpa

To be continued ...

Point Zero

Day 4 continued ...

I have heard a lot of the apple gardens of Kalpa though this is not the season of apple but still the peaks of Kinnaur Kailash have a charm of its own. Kalpa is small valley at the foothills of Kinnaur Kailash range which seemed to crown the land.

TKD_4339.jpg

Welcome to Kinnaur

TKD_4312.jpg

TKD_4314.jpg

TKD_4342.jpg

TKD_4353.jpg

TKD_4355.jpg

TKD_4361.jpg

TKD_4363.jpg

TKD_4377.jpg

2017_1226_131802_016.jpg

Narkanda to Kalpa

TKD_4382.jpg

TKD_4390.jpg

TKD_4394.jpg

To be continued ...

Pardeep Dhounchak

जाट देवता ने कहा है : घुमक्कड़ी किस्मत से मिलती है
Being to NH-1 Delhi to Ambala is highly accidental due to fog in winter............
waiting for more.................

Point Zero

Day 4 continued ...

I have heard a lot of the apple gardens of Kalpa though this is not the season of apple but still the peaks of Kinnaur Kailash have a charm of its own. Kalpa is small valley at the foothills of Kinnaur Kailash range which seemed to crown the land.

TKD_4400.jpg
Entering Kalpa

Entering Kalpa

Being an off-season most of the hotels were closed and the one open where selling off small rooms at inflated prices. Not much tourists where there and the apple trees have shed its leaves. A white snowy carpet was laid on the land decorated with greenery at some spots. The place had a picturesque beauty but only thing lacking was the bright sunlight. The gloomy dim light hindered the perfect photography of the place. At night the Shivling peak glazed as the black rocks made the white snow more contrasting on it. Temperature in Kalpa was freezing hence we rapped the bonnet with Plastic Tarpaulins and blankets for insulating effect.

IMG_20171226_171457406.jpg

Kalpa Panoramic View

Kalpa Panoramic View

TKD_4410.jpg

TKD_4411.jpg

TKD_4413.jpg

TKD_4418.jpg

TKD_4420.jpg

TKD_4424.jpg

TKD_4428.jpg

TKD_4444.jpg

IMG_20171226_164848711.jpg

TKD_4459.jpg

TKD_4462.jpg

TKD_4472.jpg

Last ray of sun

IMG_20171226_172545584.jpg

TKD_4485.jpg

TKD_4491.jpg

TKD_4498.jpg

Just tried to capture few snaps of the evening.

Day_04.JPG
Day_04_Map

To be continued ...

Point Zero

Day 5(Kalpa – Rakchham–Chitkul – Jeori):

The morning sky was mostly cloud, deep steel blue-greys that mirror the hues of the highway. Everything was a muted shade, like a matt photograph in a dimly lit room. Holding my camera in shivering hands, I captured the dusky rays over the peaks. Tea in hand, my fingers trace the steam swirling above the warm liquid.

TKD_4520.jpg

Kalpa at next Morning

Roaming around Kalpa

Distance from Kalpa to Chitkul was plain sailing and so it was sagacious to start late after the engine has warmed up. The insulation has worked wonders for us and the engine took a start with minimal number of cranks.

TKD_4524.jpg

On the way from Kalpa to Karcham

TKD_4535.jpg

karcham TRT

Road Near karcham

On the onset of Karcham, I had a look at the sign board mentioning the way to Sarahan. The thought kept bobbling in my mind that the next day I have to travel this much distance back. At Karcham junction across the bridge, the roads turned narrow. On the onset of Sangla, thin blanket of snow turned the place milky white. The snow hugged the house like a day old baby, new and clingy. Near Rakchham, the wooden huts seemed to get lost and the dense forest took its place. Certain kms ahead of Chitkul at the last check post, the officer on duty propounded to be back before dusk as the weather is expected to get worst.

Way to Chitkul_1

Way to Chitkul_2

Way to Chitkul_3

Way to Chitkul_4

Way to Chitkul_5

TKD_4557.jpg

TKD_4558.jpg

Tukpa valley Gate
TKD_4559.jpg

TKD_4560.jpg

TKD_4572.jpg

Some random snaps near Rakcham