Solo Backpacking to Chitkul

Aashish Gupta

Hi, I am planning a solo backpacking trip to Chitkul next weekend. Need help regarding itinerary and lodging. I am planning to leave Delhi on 21st Oct (evening) via bus.

1. First of all, is it advisable to visit chitkul during 21- 25 Oct?

2. I have this itinerary in mind. Is this reasonable? If no, what do you suggest?
  • 21 Oct (Evening) - Leave Delhi via Bus.
  • 22nd (evening) - reach Reckong peo
  • 23rd (afternoon?) - reach chitkul
  • 24th - stay/explore/chill in Chitkul
  • 25th(morning) - Leave for Delhi.
2. Contacts for any good or budget lodging in Reckong Peo and Chitkul.
3. I heard roads are good till rampur, what's the current status of roads till Chitkul.
4. Will be great if you could suggest what bus timings will be good to travel.
5. If not chitkul, how is Reckong peo to stay/explore/chill for 1-1.5 days.

Thanks in Advance.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Ashish, you will be traveling to Chitkul during offseason, when quite a few hotels close down for winter. Hence a number of hotels will be closed and only a handful will be open. While your itinerary sounds good, especially if you wish to take it easy, that offseason bit might cause trouble. Though with Diwali coming in the last week of October, hotels might just be open till then.

Only HRTC ordinary bus (typical roadways bus) is available till Reckong Peo and starts in the evening from Delhi and reaches Reckong Peo around late afternoon. You can contact HRTC enquiry at Anand Vihar for bus timing, 011-23868694.

Having said that, Kalpa would be easier to reach from Reckong Peo and should have more accommodation options available.