Solo bike tour from Pune-Jammu-Kargil-Leh-Chardham-Manh more and back on cd100

anilda.wanderer

Hi Everybody,

I sincerely apologize everyone for not updating this travelogue for almost 9 months.
Frankly I was total blank for couple of months. Then bit lazy and then very very busy.
So to complete this Travelogue now I have decided to memorize every bit of my experience and use my GPS who has recorded every moment of my memorable trip. I don't know how long will it take to analyse the data but I will keep on adding the same here.

To start with I am giving my Picasa Web Albums Photo links here; there are four Albums, three of which are as under and the third one I am still uploading.

1. https://picasaweb.google.com/108325872996934662594/20120614LehMyLuggage?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCI3-y9Lu_5CFXg&feat=directlink

2. https://picasaweb.google.com/108325872996934662594/20120727LEHTRIPPALMPHOTOS?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCK7hzLrfjP2VMQ&feat=directlink

3. https://picasaweb.google.com/108325872996934662594/20120727LehTripKodakCamera?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKLqzIif0-n1fQ&feat=directlink

Secondly, I had given my email address ([email protected]) and I got few email enquiries. Since khagesh our bmctouring member is actually going on same trip this year and has asked many questions I have decided to answer them and copy paste this here for the members who are interested.

Greetings from Pune,

anilda.wanderer

anilda.wanderer

Anil DA <[email protected]>
12:32 PM (2 hours ago)

Questions by Khagesh

1. Can we cover around 500 kms per day on plains? Haven't done that long journey....NO, Not more than average 150 kms, to be frank it all depends on road conditions and how many stops you take inbetween. Also your stamina counts. From Jammu-Srinagar-Kargil-Leh route you can go fast but not more than 250kms. But on National Highways upto Jammu or from Manali to Chandigarh or NH3 Agra Higways you can go comfortably upto 350 but if you start early in the morning yes you can cover 500 kms. Leh to Manali (I think 450) it took me three nights and four days. I think Hyderabad-Yatras-Leh Laddakh and back to Hyderabad on your bike will take you more than a month. My guess is 45-50 days. Last week I deed another long trip Pune-Bengalooru-Jog Falls-Belgaum-Pune. It took me 8 nights and 9 days. On the 2nd day of my Journey I covered 560 Kms in one day on NH4. Well I have developed this stamin over years, if you can do it do it.

2. I did not apply for Amarnath permit in my hands, for simple reason being, I have to mention the date of Darshan which is impossible to predict driving all the way there, plus Vaishno Devi in between. Want to take a chance at Baltal. Do you think I will be allowed? .........Don't worry, neither I had anything with me. I am told any one who is there gets permission. I had taken doctor's fitness certificate, which I did not require anywhere. Also I had an opportunity to join Military group going to Pilgrimage so I had not difficulty passing all the hurdles. My advise is that just don't worry about the permission. There are thousands of Pilgrimage Volunteers, and they give you all help free - from medical, food, staying etc., they will guide you. Leave everything to Amarnathji.

3. On the Amarnath trek, where did you leave all that stuff and bike? ............ In Military Transit Camp. But you will not get this facility. I had acquaintance who helped me at Jammu and at Sonmarg (20 Kms from Baltal). There are 100s of Facilities provided privately by the Religious groups who serve the Yatra Visitors free. Anybody is welcome, they are respectful to you and are polite. Keep your valuables with you and leave everything with them. I think there is no option except trust. Ohm Namah Shivay !

4. As far as I understand, from Baltal road to Amarnath camp deviates to your right. Do we have to go to reach this camp area to park our bikes and have accommodation?....YES. If you are going from Srinagar to Leh. The other option to keep your bike and luggage is to keep it at Sonmarg and take a bus (Rs 50) to baltal and start your Yatra. But this will be bit costly. So first go to Baltal directly and if you are not comfortable come back to Sonmarg. But Sonmarg is costly.

5. Crazy as it might sound, but did you take a dip in Indus, Pangong? or did you see someone doing this? ..... No, I did not. First I was extremely tired, you are always in momentum to reach your next stop before it is dark. Secondly after Amarnathji Yatra I had feverish filling that last more than a week. Yes I have seen the people taking bath in Indus, at Amarnath Gumpha. Aloso I did not visit Pyongong Lake since it was rained and the traffic was closed and people trapped from 4 days and Military helped them out.

6. You said Leh Manali is tough. Is thatTanglang and Rothang you were referring to? How did you manage the water crossing with that much luggage at the back?..........OK Leh to Manali is tough but not if you do Amarnathji Yatra. Two reasons, first if you do first Devi Vaishodevi and Amarnathji Yatra you get acclimatized for high altitudes and also your body gets seasoned and rough and tough to withstand this Leh to Manali Section. The toughest part of this section is not the high altitude passes but a DUST DESERT (probably called MORE Plaines). Frankly because of my luggage my mobility was restricted. But my guess is that it helped me to cross the water streams because of weight. Later on I got so used to it that I felt awkward to ride without luggage. :)

My pleasure.

Regards,

anilda.wanderer

MY Hero Honda CD100SS bike is very reliable, very sturdy, gives repeatative performance and never turned me down. So Khagesh Your Platina Bajaj 100cc you please confirm. For example I met a group of 12 Puneites near Ramdung, 10 of which were having brand new Hero IMPULSE off the road bikes. They all had pickup problems at high altitudes, they were accompanied by two vans, kitchen, tents and a mechanic too. They managed to tune the engines and continued but finally at Khardungla two bikes could not reach there because of high altitudes. So please consult the bajaj people. When you bike is all ready test it for 500 to 1000 kms. Please let me know how old it is and the odometer reading.

At another incident after crossing Taglangla Pass and More Plain I met two girls from Holland, they stopped me to ask further road conditions. They were having two brand new BMW 1100cc powerful bikes. But they were very heavy like bullets, I gave them all the tips they wanted but looking at their bikes I warned them about Dust Desert. Both the girls were very adventurous and ready for the tough situations but the dust desert scared them.

Good Luck!

anilda.wanderer

Hello Everybody,

I have started updating my travelogue and will finish it soon. So if you are still interested please keep on logging and checking my travelogue.

Greetings from Pune,

anilda.wanderer

Khagesh

Thank you Anilji. Not me alone, many would benefit if you can update the travelogue. Please do it.
My odometer? well nearing 50,000kms it has done. Platina would take those passes. Remember already two platinas went up there. One is Pareesh Tehran: his incomplete travelogue link is here
Solo Expedition in Jammu, Kashmir, Ladhakh on my Platina Bike. - BCMTouring
and another one from Hyderabad itself accompanied by a couple on Bullet.

We await your travelogue completion.

Saurabhspatil

Addicted to Riding
Hello Sir,
Even I have done my ladakh tour on my hero honda Splendor(2000 model). But i was 24 yrs old at that time.
But really no words :eek:to your adventure, that too on 100cc bike :shock: and at the age almost of 3 times of mine:eek:. Really Hats off Sir:prayer::prayer::prayer:.
Sir please bless me so that i can even carry my touring abilities when i will be of yours age8).

anilda.wanderer

Hi,

Thank you Everybody, I am glad that people are still interested and waiting. I am working on it. And I will keep the promise.

Greetings,

anilda.wanderer

Khagesh,

Your Maps Look Good.

Avoid Travelling in the night. Beware of Luxury Buses, they go very fast and don't care about two wheeler.
Don't enter the cities, take bypass roads, see a lodge on the highway preferably. You can get a single room for between 200 to 300.
You are going in tremendous heat, so go slow and you may not cover the desired distance.

Drink ample of water, your water will also get warmer but drink it. Take tea or coffee but do not take cold-drinks. Eat juicy fruits like watermelon, tarbuj, bananas are good, don't eat apples, oranges a little will do. Drink Coconut water. Cucumber is my best choice by experience, it is alkaline. It will save you from heat, acidity, cool for your burning stomach and will remove bitter test from your mouth. Cucumber is available everywhere with different variety and all of them are good for bikers.

Take bath with cold water twice a day. Don't cool down your bike by throwing cold water on it, when you stop - stop in shadow where there is wind so the engine can cool down. Also on such 4-6 lane highways you will not have a shelter of tree so motels-dabas are only options.Change your engine oil in Jammu and Manali, lubricate the chain. Remove stones etc. from your tires if they are trapped in rubber. Better if you can clean the air filter, because now you are entering dust and rough road terrain and your engine needs more breathing. My guess is that your total running will be 6000 kms. Do the above mentioned maintenance after every 2000kms.

Regards,

Last edited:

diffuser911

Sunil Singh
MY Hero Honda CD100SS bike is very reliable, very sturdy, gives repeatative performance and never turned me down. So Khagesh Your Platina Bajaj 100cc you please confirm. For example I met a group of 12 Puneites near Ramdung, 10 of which were having brand new Hero IMPULSE off the road bikes. They all had pickup problems at high altitudes, they were accompanied by two vans, kitchen, tents and a mechanic too. They managed to tune the engines and continued but finally at Khardungla two bikes could not reach there because of high altitudes. So please consult the bajaj people. When you bike is all ready test it for 500 to 1000 kms. Please let me know how old it is and the odometer reading.
An Impulse didn't make it!! It surely is disappointing to hear, since I was looking forward to buying an offroader in near future. Had they been run-in properly? Could be they did go through wire-in-carb mod...but even after that it sounds difficult to believe. Some of the members here have done 2-up on CBZ-X, modelled around the same engine but tuned for on-road power delivery.