Solo Bike Trip... Photography

drvictor19

Hello BCMT friends

Wanted help regarding taking action shots/ self shots while doing solo bike trip..!!

I have a point and shoot camera and self timer is max of 10 sec.
I don’t have much knowledge about DSLR’s so do I need to buy one as it has some remote control option and have self timer more than 10 sec.

I am also not sure which tripod to buy ( want to buy once and for all )
please help…!!

Regards
Victor

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=1956]narender[/MENTION] Sir [MENTION=2]Yogesh Sarkar[/MENTION] [MENTION=18625]deepakdilme[/MENTION] [MENTION=36957]bora[/MENTION] [MENTION=4020]dsd[/MENTION]

help....!!

Last edited:

narender

DRIFTER
Doc,taking self shots on a solo ride is a very painful task
It is time consuming as most of the time composition is not so perfect.
So,please dont expect well composed selfie.No need for a tripod just for self shots however you can carry it for night shots/long exposure shots.
10 sec exposure timer delay is enough for most of the time,i have taken all my self shots using 10 seconds timer,never used more than 10 seconds.
DSLR are always better than PS because of its wide angle.
While taking self shots,make sure to make bike as a refrence point and composed it in your camera and fit yourself into the frame before shutter closes.
Seat of your bike is also a good place to place your camera for selfies.

drvictor19

Doc,taking self shots on a solo ride is a very painful task
It is time consuming as most of the time composition is not so perfect.
So,please dont expect well composed selfie.No need for a tripod just for self shots however you can carry it for night shots/long exposure shots.
10 sec exposure timer delay is enough for most of the time,i have taken all my self shots using 10 seconds timer,never used more than 10 seconds.
DSLR are always better than PS because of its wide angle.
While taking self shots,make sure to make bike as a refrence point and composed it in your camera and fit yourself into the frame before shutter closes.
Seat of your bike is also a good place to place your camera for selfies.
Thank you .. Master ji...!!

While taking a action shot.... time taken to press the shutter ... run to the bike.... sit on it and get into a good frame...!! must be requiring more than ten seconds..!!

Query - what is max time these entry level DSLR'S give in self timer...???

If not a DSLR ... as for now I want to buy a... tripod...!!
but I want to invest one time... !! don't want to buy a new one when I upgrade to DSLR...!!
So please suggest me a good one...!!

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
Doc, I own D3100(Entry level DSLR), max time is 10 secs.

You can check BENRO tripod. I got one for 2800 and is pretty sturdy...

hensil

Guru
Now a days there are many cameras available (DSLR/mirror-less) in the market with WiFi built-in. You can use appropriate app on your mobile phone to compose and trigger the camera.
Also, if you are buying Nikon DSLR like 3xxx, 5xxx, or 7xxx series camera, you can auto-focus and trigger the shutter with an cheap wireless remote in your hands.
Henry

narender

DRIFTER
Ankur has rightly replied.
10 sec is maximum delay in an DSLR.
Benero brand is quite good and popular tripod.
Yogesh is using one.
And one more thing,i said bike self shots are painful.10 seconds are enough for running to your bike and ride and pose.
I have done it several times.
Keep the engine running,park it on side stand,you can shot yourself actually riding it in action.
It is a laborious and difficult task.

deepakdilme

Super User
If the priority is selfies then take a cam with swivel screen which immensly helps in taking variety of selfies,it's also easy in making composition of low and high angle shots with swivel screen.I really d miss my nikon D5100 for that which was a wonderful cam for me.All dslr's are good in taking shots,go for cam which is having swivel screen:)

Last edited:

dsd

Musafir
Doc, I own D3100(Entry level DSLR), max time is 10 secs.

You can check BENRO tripod. I got one for 2800 and is pretty sturdy...
Which model of Benro? (I am also looking for tripod) Will it be able to support 600D+70-200?

I have been using Simpex 222 with sx120 it was ok but I think it won't be able to support Dslr(i have not tried it yet). I have also used KIPI tripod with sx120 with good results.

Doc, Master ji has given very good advise, it is very time consuming and Cumbersome also, to use tripod when you are riding.
When are you planning your solo ride and to where???

piyush0401

I think best way to take action shot is to ask someone to click for you, if they don't have knowledge about your cam, then you can set all the settings and zoom out fully and then ask them just to click shutter button...another way is not travel to alone... :D

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
@dsd : Under 3K, Benro T-800EX or T-660EX are nice and sturdy tripods... I used my Benro extensively in Ladakh... Very light weight.. can be used with 600D+70-200, i dont foresee any problems...

doc: Some more suggestions (Jugads) for you
-- some Mega Zooms/DSLRs offer nice feature of multiple shots (lets say 5 or 10 consecutive) after a 10 sec timer... I feel that can be a good option for you to shooting selfies in action.
-- Get a cable release for a DSLR (with option to keep the shutter pressed), set DSLR on "continuous shooting" (OR with a timer of 2 secs, if DSLR supports) and roam around freely. You will get huge number of shots and can keep the best one... I got a local one for 12 $