Solo Bike Trip... Photography

drvictor19

Doc, I own D3100(Entry level DSLR), max time is 10 secs.

You can check BENRO tripod. I got one for 2800 and is pretty sturdy...
Thanks..Ankur ..!!

I'll surely check benro.... !!!

I am following your travelogue... and you have used your tripod well...!!

- - - Updated - - -

Now a days there are many cameras available (DSLR/mirror-less) in the market with WiFi built-in. You can use appropriate app on your mobile phone to compose and trigger the camera.
Also, if you are buying Nikon DSLR like 3xxx, 5xxx, or 7xxx series camera, you can auto-focus and trigger the shutter with an cheap wireless remote in your hands.
Henry
Thank you Henry Sir...!!

these wirless remote must be having some range till where they work... any idea on that Sir..!!
cause for taking action shot one must be bit far from the camera... so that the background also comes..!!

regarding Wi- fi I don't know how much it will be useful in LADAKH...!!

drvictor19

Ankur has rightly replied.
10 sec is maximum delay in an DSLR.
Benero brand is quite good and popular tripod.
Yogesh is using one.
And one more thing,i said bike self shots are painful.10 seconds are enough for running to your bike and ride and pose.
I have done it several times.
Keep the engine running,park it on side stand,you can shot yourself actually riding it in action.
It is a laborious and difficult task.
I was thinking that DSLR might be having some manual settings to increase the self timer to a desired time..!!

I will forget all the pain taken agar ek bhi bhadiya action shot aa jaati hai to... :)

- - - Updated - - -

If the priority is selfies then take a cam with swivel screen which immensly helps in taking variety of selfies,it's also easy in making composition of low and high angle shots with swivel screen.I really d miss my nikon D5100 for that which was a wonderful cam for me.All dslr's are good in taking shots,go for cam which is having swivel screen:)
I was waiting for your reply... Deepak ..!!
your selfies and action shots are one of the best...!!
and yes swivel screen seems to be very helpful in this regard...!!

- - - Updated - - -

Which model of Benro? (I am also looking for tripod) Will it be able to support 600D+70-200?

I have been using Simpex 222 with sx120 it was ok but I think it won't be able to support Dslr(i have not tried it yet). I have also used KIPI tripod with sx120 with good results.

Doc, Master ji has given very good advise, it is very time consuming and Cumbersome also, to use tripod when you are riding.
When are you planning your solo ride and to where???
Sir .. I am planning Ladakh trip on bullet in September...!!

- - - Updated - - -

I think best way to take action shot is to ask someone to click for you, if they don't have knowledge about your cam, then you can set all the settings and zoom out fully and then ask them just to click shutter button...another way is not travel to alone... :D
Thanks... Piyush...!!

One has to be really lucky to find a person who will be able to click pics as one desire... :)
esp. in LADAKH and Spiti region

- - - Updated - - -

@dsd : Under 3K, Benro T-800EX or T-660EX are nice and sturdy tripods... I used my Benro extensively in Ladakh... Very light weight.. can be used with 600D+70-200, i dont foresee any problems...

doc: Some more suggestions (Jugads) for you
-- some Mega Zooms/DSLRs offer nice feature of multiple shots (lets say 5 or 10 consecutive) after a 10 sec timer... I feel that can be a good option for you to shooting selfies in action.
-- Get a cable release for a DSLR (with option to keep the shutter pressed), set DSLR on "continuous shooting" (OR with a timer of 2 secs, if DSLR supports) and roam around freely. You will get huge number of shots and can keep the best one... I got a local one for 12 $
What I understand by Cable release is that a wire might be connecting the remote to camera...!!
so action shot won't be possible :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

The wireless remote should work up to 8-10 meters.
Henry
Ok... thank you Sir..!!

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
What I understand by Cable release is that a wire might be connecting the remote to camera...!!
so action shot won't be possible :confused:

Yes it is a wired remote... but it has option to keep the shutter release button pressed for multiple (continuous) shots...

for your reference ... It is something like this... you can just slide and hook the button and camera will shoot continuous burst of images...
index.jpg

drvictor19

Yes it is a wired remote... but it has option to keep the shutter release button pressed for multiple (continuous) shots...

for your reference ... It is something like this... you can just slide and hook the button and camera will shoot continuous burst of images...
View attachment 528896
The problem with this is that action shot ( coming in bike from a distance with good background or water crossing ) wont be possible..:(
and the wire might also come in the frame..:(

deepakdilme

Super User

View attachment 528896
And by using this with continuous shots you will end up filling your memory cards pretty soon.Go for a wireless one,make composition,set focus point with autofocus and change autofocus to manual in lens,by this cam will not hunt focus when you press the wireless button.Keep ur f stop higher may be around 16 so that everything could be sharp enough.

Last edited:

hensil

Guru
Here is it.

ML-L3-Wireless-Remote.png

Enables wireless remote shutter release. Trigger the shutter remotely when using slower shutter speeds to prevent camera movement.
The range is approx. 16 ft in front of the camera.

Useful for triggering the shutter remotely when using slower shutter speeds, to prevent camera movement.
Infrared Remote Control enables wireless remote shutter release of select Nikon D-SLR, Nikon 1 and COOLPIX cameras.

The ML-L3 offers an immediate release mode and two second delay mode.

Henry

drvictor19

Doc saab,what are your dates???
Could we ride together????
Sir...I have planned my ride from 6th sep...!!! Ludhiana manali leh route...!!

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=1956]narender[/MENTION] Sir.... When are you planning to go ...!!!

- - - Updated - - -

@dsd : Under 3K, Benro T-800EX or T-660EX are nice and sturdy tripods...

[MENTION=13867]Ankur003[/MENTION] ..one more query... I checked about these tripods online... both can hold 3000g wt. so what are the other differences..as their prices are different...!!

hensil

Guru
Hi victor,
I don't know how practical it is to carry a tripod on a bike that too for a Ladakh trip. I avoided it.
If at all, then you need a good sturdy tripod which can add weight, bulk and price. A flimsy tripod can cause damage than without.
I would suggest taking an gorilla tripod that is small and can be fixed to your bike. However, you need to select an appropriate one according to your camera.
Check this website,
JOBY flexible camera tripods for DSLR/SLR cameras and point-and-shoots

Henry