Solo ride in September Delhi-Ladakh

Hasaniqbal

Greetings to the BCM team and fellow members,

Hi Yogesh & team,

I am 42 years of age, a cop by profession and own a two year old Electra with 14000 kms on the odometer. I have been planning to ride to Leh ever since I bought the bike in 2014, unfortunately haven't been able to do it till now.

I have a lot of queries for you guys and would appreciate all the guidance and help. Here it goes:

1. I have no idea about the itinerary for the route. Can you guys suggest when to leave and help plan an itinerary? I can to start in or after first week of September, 2016. How many kilometers should I travel in a day ( I am ok physically) and where to break journeys? (I had driven to Manali last year by car).
  2. I believe Delhi-Srinagr-Leh route is inadvisable currently?
  3. How cold it will be in Ladakh during this period and also the road conditions; meaning will the monsoons be over by then?
  4. My Electra has the standard 3.25x 19" rear tyres, i was thinking of upgrading to 3.5 x 19" for the ride, what Tyre to choose?
  5. Where to buy equipment for the ride in Delhi/NCR? particularly which saddle bags, riding and protective gear, etc . I am on a budget here. Also what approximately would be the total financial outlay for the ride? I have a couple of good jackets, including a leather one. Do I need a riding jacket?
  6. I will tune up my bike and carry the spares needed, my mechanic was advising me to remove the air filter, once i reached Leh- any logic behind that? Any other mechanical advise ?
  7. Will travelling solo be a problem, in terms of physical endurance and loneliness? Also wouldn't mind pairing up with other riders en route, if there are similar riders please help me connect
If i have missed out on any other worthwhile issues, please do enlighten me like a kid :)

A big thank you in advance,
Hasan

narender

DRIFTER
Sep is best time for Ladakh..roads are dry and monsoon over.
Riding jacket and other safety riding gears are always prferred but you can ride in your normal jacket too if you dont wanna spend more and tight on budget.
Age plays a role but its not a deterrent.I am 43 and just returned from Ladakh ride.Check my current 2016 running blog in link below-

http://www.bcmtouring.com/forums/threads/restless-rider-realized-his-dream-scootering-on-marsimik-la-2016.68499/unread
Avoid Srinagar for now.Carry all the spare parts and learn some minor repairing for your bike.Carry pucnture kit and foot pump.
Below is the easiest itinerary for a first timer---
Delhi-Manali
Manali stray and arrange permit
Manali-Darcha
Darcha-Leh
Leh and around nearby sightseeing like Shanti Stupa..Thiksey moanstery..hall of fame....Maganetic hill etc.
Leh-Nubra
Nubra-Leh
Leh-Pangong Lake
Pangong Lake-Leh
Leh-Tso Moriri
Tso Moriri-Sarchu
Sarchu-Manali
Manali -Delhi

Hasaniqbal

Hi Narender,
Thanks a lot for replying back. Are you suggesting I ride straight to Manali from Delhi? If its not too much of a bother, can you break the itinerary day wise?

Shivanshu

RX Rider
Hello Hasan,

Nice to know your plan here, well I think this link will help you to plan up everything: http://www.bcmtouring.com/travel-guides/ladakh-travel-guide/index.html
And yes normally we ride from Delhi to Manali directly and take one day halt in Manali for the permits and for the Bike to be prepared for higher altitudes.

I am answering few of your points below:

1. How many kilometers have you ridden the bike in a stretch, it is your comfort which needs to be considered out here and not anyone else suggestion and advice. Normally while leaving for Manali, we leave early in the morning by 3am or 4am, but again you have to see your comfort and ride accordingly.

2. Yes as per now J&K has to be avoided completely.

3. Climate in hills are unpredictable and looking at the weather pattern this year its better to be ready for the worst. Keep a track on weather pattern with this link, you will find more on google, its upto you. Weather in Leh: http://www.lehladakhindia.com/climate/

4. About tyres you need to see for some dual purpose tyres, you can try at Karol Bagh or if you want I can provide you info of one of the Tyre Shop in Karol Bagh from where I get my Bike Tyres changed.

5. Ellaborate when you say Equipment, though Karol Bagh is the Mecca for Bullets getting ready to be Leh'ed but since you are on a budget, it will be better if you prepare a list of what you want. About riding gear its not necessary, you can wear your own jacket, but yes would recommend you to buy knee guards and elbow guard and a good helmet for safety. Again you will get all in Karol Bagh.

6. As we climb up from Manali the air gets thinner and the oxygen level in the air gets down, so even you may feel breathlessness, and similarly your bike can feel the same as well. So when the air filter is taken out, its the direct air which gets in the carb and hence tries to reduce the affect of high altitude. You can get it done at Manali, there are many mechanics out there who tune up the bike for ride upto Leh.

7. Again Solo is a complete personnel decision, if you not comfortable, keep a look at our BCMT Forums and you will find many going enroute. So, you can tag along with them.

All the Best, keep us update and ride safe. And if anything you can PM me or you have many Gurus and Experts here who will give you the insight of everything.

Hasaniqbal

Hi Shivanshu
Thanks for reverting back. Just to clarify some of your doubts:
1. I haven't ever done a long motorcycle ride, used to riding 50kms/day in Delhi.
2.please do let me know the tyre shop in Karol bagh, but my query was more about the specific tyre brand best suited for such a ride.
3. By equipment I meant- saddle bag,riding jacket, safety gear, boots, Ladakh Carrier, etc. Would prefer a one stop shop.
4. Also which places require permits?
Thanks

Shivanshu

RX Rider
Hi Shivanshu
Thanks for reverting back. Just to clarify some of your doubts:
Thanks
Hello Hasan,

I will be using your question point wise to answer, the answers will be in Bold:

1. I haven't ever done a long motorcycle ride, used to riding 50kms/day in Delhi.
Well I would suggest try doing some short good rides, this way you will know how comfortable you are and how comfortable is your Bike. When you ride long then only the true colors will come out. You are in Noida right, so go to Gajjraula MacD, or go to Manesar MacD ahead of Gurgaon, just an advice, it helps a lot.

2.please do let me know the tyre shop in Karol bagh, but my query was more about the specific tyre brand best suited for such a ride.
Globe Tyre
1697, Arya Samaj Road, Karol Bagh, Karol Bagh, New Delhi, Delhi 110005

011 4154 7512
Here is the map link: https://goo.gl/maps/Vk4G6Ki5AAA2

3. By equipment I meant- saddle bag,riding jacket, safety gear, boots, Ladakh Carrier, etc. Would prefer a one stop shop.
Chopra Automobiles
1709-A, Arya Samaj Road, Karol Bagh, Block 26I, Nai Walan, Karol Bagh, New Delhi, Delhi 110005

011 6477 7177
Here is the map link: https://goo.gl/maps/Ee3DCP97TDP2

NOTE: both these shops are hardly 20 to 30 steps away and just behind these shops there is a small and congested lane where he will put the Ladakh Carrier as well.

4. Also which places require permits?
You will be going from Manali side right, so you will need a permit from Manali DM office to cross Rohtang, so you need to halt out there for a day and check it. If you have any resources then they can arrange on your behalf. Please do find out the days of their work, and also there is a limitation in number of permits they issue per day. So need to find it out and if preferably arrange it beforehand

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
How many days do you have for this ride?

A riding gear will save you the trouble of carrying multiple jackets, since some of the mesh riding jackets (good for warm climates) also come with rain and warm liner, making it close to an all-weather jacket. These will set you back by around 6k.

Hasaniqbal

How many days do you have for this ride?

A riding gear will save you the trouble of carrying multiple jackets, since some of the mesh riding jackets (good for warm climates) also come with rain and warm liner, making it close to an all-weather jacket. These will set you back by around 6k.
Hi Yogesh,
I will try to squeeze out as many days suggested by you. Could you name the specific brand and shop for the jacket? As I mentioned I own an Electra 2014 model with 14K on odo, what is your take on Michelin Sirac Street(3.5x19) for rear tyre replacement for stock tyres. Also what is the latest I can travel without being discomforted much by weather conditions?
Thanks

Shivanshu

RX Rider
Thanks Shivanshu. If I am not mistaken Chopra Automobiles is the Helmet shop? I have been buying Helmets from him for a long time!
Yes thats correct, and just ahead of Chopra towards the metro side, you will get the tyre shop.
As per riding gear I suggest Cramster as I have been using it since last 6yrs now. You will get them for around 6K and when at Chopra you can try other jackets as well.