Solo Two wheeled Rolling on the cliff hanger road

Gaurav Chopra

zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it
The call from the Gods that be at Sach Pass had been ringing for a long time and somehow had not responded-but then finally couldn't stop myself and picked it up-I was invited to come see for myself this remote land and its biosphere.
The timing coincided with the 15August long weekend-floated the idea on my local BCMT WA group but no takers there-guess they didn't get the call.
So I was the chosen one-solo it was.Got the very important approvals from parents and wifey and all was set for the ride on the 12August with the route finalised as Ludhiana-Chamba-Bairagarh-Killad-Kishtwar-Jammu-Ludhiana.
Then the weather Gods also got into the loop and I was ordered to postpone the trip by week for my happy traveling.
During the preparation for the trip,ordered set of saddle stays for my KTM Duke390 but somehow they got delayed and not wanting to delay my trip,I had to improvise with a regular bag bungee tied securely at the back.I got a cigarette lighter attachment fitted from battery directly to power my phone and air pump as advised by veteran of Sach Pass and fellow BCMTian Amandeep Grewal.I requested for and borrowed the air pump and puncture repair kit from fellow BCMTian,co rider of my Spiti ride in September2015,friend and also a KTM D390 owner Praveen Dua ji.I also got my tyres slightly overfilled keeping in view the stony and rocky terrain.
Two days before the ride Praveen Dua ji called and said that he will be joining me in riding till Chamba as he had some work there.
So 19August morning at 5.30am,two KTM D390 rolled into the sunrise headed for Chamba.
P_20170819_051403_LL.jpg
FB_IMG_1503493572885.jpg

Last edited:
The best thing to be part of this forum is to get acquainted with Such an inspirational solo travelers.
I m highly impressed.
The call from the Gods that be at Sach Pass had been ringing for a long time and somehow had not responded-but then finally couldn't stop myself and picked it up-I was invited to come see for myself this remote land and its biosphere.
The timing coincided with the 15August long weekend-floated the idea on my local BCMT WA group but no takers there-guess they didn't get the call.
So I was the chosen one-solo it was.Got the very important approvals from parents and wifey and all was set for the ride on the 12August with the route finalised as Ludhiana-Chamba-Bairagarh-Killad-Kishtwar-Jammu-Ludhiana.
Then the weather God's also got into the loop and I was ordered to postpone the trip by week for my happy traveling.
During the preparation for the trip,ordered set of saddle stays for my KTM Duke390 but somehow they got delayed and not wanting to delay my trip,I had to improvise with a regular bag bungee tied securely at the back.I got a cigarette lighter attachment fitted from battery directly to power my phone and air pump as advised by veteran of Sach Pass and fellow BCMTian Amandeep Grewal.I requested for and borrowed the air pump and puncture repair kit from fellow BCMTian,co rider of my Spiti ride in September2015,friend and also a KTM D390 owner Praveen Dua ji.I also got my tyres slightly overfilled keeping in view the stony and rocky terrain.
Two days before the ride Praveen Dua ji called and said that he will be joining me in riding till Chamba as he had some work there.
So 19August morning at 5.30am,two KTM D390 rolled into the sunrise headed for Chamba.View attachment 725392 View attachment 725393

Gaurav Chopra

zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it
With the KTM390 cruising at a cool-110-115kmph on the empty early morning highways,we reached Mamoon Cantonment Pathankot at 7.15am and stopped for a cup of tea.
There a drizzle started and Parveen ji realized that he is not carrying a raincoat.With guidance from the tea stall owner,we went to the Railway station market about 3kms into the town and found a shop who was opening his shop shutter and had raincoats-bought one and just as we were rolling out,the drizzle turned into a downpour.Donned our raincoats and off we rolled into the downpour-by the next 40kms we were fully drenched INSIDE our raincoats and so decided to stop for breakfast .Our breakfast of aaluu-piaz parathas took us 48minutes but the rain did'nt abate-we decided to carry on nonetheless so as to loose as less time as possible but the progress was slow.
The rain stopped abruptly the moment we entered the Chamba valley at Banikhet and were greeted with lush green farmlands.After packing our rain gear,we clicked some photos and off we were to Chamba,speeding on the welcoming dry tarmac.Reached Chamba at 12.45pm and after filling petrol in our bikes we moved in opposite directions-Parveen ji towards Hadsar for his Mani Mahesh Kailash yatra and myself towards Bairagarh and on wards to Sach pass.The road to Bairagarh goes along the river Ravi at first and after some time leaves the Ravi behind and runs along its biggest tributary,the Kundla-both the rivers are very scenic-but the overcast conditions didnt allow the most appropriate captures.The road was initially good but i soon encountered broken and no road conditions with heavy dumper truck traffic ferrying sand .I had my lunch of rajma-chawal at the village Alawas at around 4pm at a dhabha run by a very hospitable guy named Karam Deen.
DSC05977.jpg
DSC05981.jpg
DSC05982.jpg
DSC05990.jpg
P_20170819_124539_BF.jpg
P_20170819_134314.jpg
P_20170819_153146.jpg
P_20170819_145104.jpg
P_20170819_153146.jpg
P_20170819_165850.jpg
P_20170819_170342.jpg
P_20170819_170356_HDR.jpg
P_20170820_074710_HDR(1).jpg
DSC05994.jpg
DSC05996.jpg
DSC05997.jpg
I reached Bairagarh which is 85kms from Chamba at 5.45pm and after checking out various stay options opted for Chamuda Hotel at Rs900 for the night with a clean airy room and bathroom with geyser.This place also has CCTV coverage for the parking.Had a bath,lubed the chain of the bike,had dinner over conversation about the details of Sach Pass and retired for the night at 8.30pm for a fitful sleep.Ludhiana to Bairagarh via Chamba had been a 385km ride with almost 240kms of it being mountain riding.