Sour Tal trek

sayshh

26-05-2017: Camp 3 – Laanga Thach (3320 m)

After a rather undisturbed sleep in the night, I woke up early again to soak in the sunrise. We had escaped PT (physical training) session in Klount campsite, but were not so lucky in Dudu Dhog. :p As if trekking was not enough, after tea we had to line up in the small clearing between trees with level ground. The challenge was to fit 37 of us, especially for PT movements in the limited space. After PT we packed our bags quickly and assembled for breakfast and day’s briefing. Ganga Ram detailed the terrain leading to the next camp and concluded as always that “We should be there in 3-4 hours”. :twisted: Today we have to ascend over 3000 m ASL (another first for me =D>) to reach Laanga Thach.

Views on the way
IMG_8957.JPG

As we ascended, the treeline thinned out and most of the trail was out in open pastures and meadows. The climb was constant, with varying degrees of incline. We stopped for a mid-way break after close to 2 hours of climbing. I started feeling a little lightheaded, maybe as we crossed the 3000 m mark. It was manageable. We continued after the break. It took a little over an hour to reach the campsite. It was set just above the treeline, and we could see patches of snow nearby.

Patches of snow at our level - Laanga Thach campsite

IMG_8964.JPG

The location was just perfect, like a balcony with a spectacular view of formidable peaks in the Pir Panjal range like Indrasan and Deo Tibba. Strangely I could feel a sense of achievement already. A “deluxe” 4 men tent was allotted for us to stay, like icing on the cake. With such spellbinding views around, I didn’t realize when the dizziness faded away. I was feeling absolutely fine. :cool: Unlike previous days, everyone was outside the tents. Maybe they shared the same sense of achievement.

Waiting inside tent for hailstorm to stop

IMG_8971.JPG

After lunch it started drizzling, we scampered into our tent quickly as it transformed into a hailstorm. We peered out of the opening as pea-sized balls of ice fell on the ground, some bouncing into our tent. Few members remained out in the hailstorm (wearing ponchos). By tea time, the campsite staff supplied hot tea inside each tent, a very kind gesture. The skies cleared in some time, but adventure activity for the day got cancelled. Atmosphere became magical as clouds started wafting through the valley.

Mt. Indrasan and Mt. Deo Tibba (partly hidden in clouds)

IMG_8972.JPG

Views of Beas valley and Pir Panjal range
IMG_8978.JPG

As sunlight weakened, temperature plummeted to 4 °C. Down jackets were readily available for the needy. I had carried sufficiently warm clothes so I didn't need them. In dimming sunlight we were treated with hot rasam rice for dinner – courtesy trek leader(s). As we retired to our tents for the night, we were excited about the next day - the summit day!

Last edited:

Ravi_M

It is really interesting to read a first time trekker's experience and description.
You are doing it quite neatly!

I can re-live my experience of SURPASS in 2005 and KEDARKANTHA in 2007!
I guess your trek wasn't with YHAI, because their treks are more arduous as the trekkers carry their belongings on their back!!

Looking forward to the story unfolding!

sayshh

The updates are going good. Looking forward to final trek to the summit.
Thanks skysat2005, will post the summit day log soon.

Great Achievement !
Great View Points !
Great Captures !
Great Details !
Thank you adsatinder!

It is really interesting to read a first time trekker's experience and description.
You are doing it quite neatly!

I can re-live my experience of SURPASS in 2005 and KEDARKANTHA in 2007!
I guess your trek wasn't with YHAI, because their treks are more arduous as the trekkers carry their belongings on their back!!

Looking forward to the story unfolding!
Thanks Ravi_M for the words of encouragement! Our trek was organized by KMA. They made it as beginner friendly as possible. We had to carry our backpacks with essential items like poncho, water, medicines, sunglasses/caps, extra layers of warm clothing, camera, etc. The rucksacks were brought to the campsite on mules, where we could access remaining stuff.

Want more quota of such pics :
More photos of summit push coming up!