Spiti - Chandratal - Manali trip in late April early May

Chetan Kulkarni

Super User
Hi,

I am thinking of making a trip to Spiti -> Chandrataal Lake -> Manali in late April or early May. I have already covered Kinnaur (Sarahan, Sangla, Kalpa, Chhitkul) so I don't intend to spend a lot of time there.

I need suggestions in terms of :
1. Suggested itinerary for 10 days (I will be traveling from Pune so starting point of Delhi/Chandigarh should be fine)
2. Places to stay
3. Driver recommended
4. Accessibility of places given I will be traveling with my family.

Any other information is most welcome.

TIA

Chetan

mindless wanderer

with age, get a cage!
All depends on how much snowfall has happened but to be honest...very lil chance of it opening by 1st week of June...havent seen this happen in the last few years..

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chetan, there almost zero chance of being able to get to Chandratal; and Kunzum Pass will also be totally snowed up.
Further, during the early days after the routes open they are in terrible shape and not recommended with family.
July is about the earliest you can hope to do these.

Thank you mindless wanderer and Anup Sir. I will evaluate alternative options then. Maybe Sikkim or Uttarakhand
Spiti is always a treat. But the season will bar you from certain places. Chandratal, for instance.
You can still hang out at many places within spiti - via kinnaur. And come back the same way.

Alternatively, if you are looking for different - Arunachal offers that. And who better than Kshil to guide on that.

If Uttarakhand - well, you ave 10 days - you are set to explore a lot :) ... Binsar, Kausani, Munsyari, Pithoragarg, DHarchula, Loha Ghat, Abbot Mount :)

Chetan Kulkarni

Super User
Thanks Saurabh. Do you have any suggested itinerary for Uttarakhand? Also are things back in place after the unfortunate events that happened earlier.