Spiti in October first week, need inputs

Rohit Kothari

Super User
Hello fellow tourers
I am thinking of exploring spiti during first week of october. would possibly have 9 days in hand in case leaves are approved.
My main concern is
- accom availability.Specially since I plan to start from Delhi on 30th (dussera). I am aware about rush of bengal tour groups till Kalpa and Chitkul. But would that continue post dussera ?
- What temperatures could I expect ?
- I know people even do this circuit in winters, so I hope to find some fellow travellers on the road. Any chances of black ice, specially around Malling?

I have been to the circuit before, so I will not be going to chandertaal and in all possibility go and return via Shimla route itself, given that Rohtang and Kunzum would have higher chances of being snowed out towards the end of trip.

Any inputs are welcome.

dichkaun

How are you planning to travel?
Beyond Chitkul you should get accommodation. Lots of home stays.
Expect it to be quite cold. I just returned from the same area last week. Kaza and beyond was quiet cold.

Rohit Kothari

Super User
How are you planning to travel?
Beyond Chitkul you should get accommodation. Lots of home stays.
Expect it to be quite cold. I just returned from the same area last week. Kaza and beyond was quiet cold.
Going in car. How cold did it get in night ? Day time temps should have been mild.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
If you’re starting on 30th August from Delhi, expect disruption on road in form of kids asking for money and accommodation issues, unless you book in advance.

My suggestion would have been to go to Chandertal first. However, at that time, it would be full of tourists, thanks to long weekend. A better bet would be to start from Shimla side and pray that the weather doesn’t turn too nasty later on.

Rohit Kothari

Super User
If you’re starting on 30th August from Delhi, expect disruption on road in form of kids asking for money and accommodation issues, unless you book in advance.

My suggestion would have been to go to Chandertal first. However, at that time, it would be full of tourists, thanks to long weekend. A better bet would be to start from Shimla side and pray that the weather doesn’t turn too nasty later on.
Hi Yogesh. I decided not to go to Chandertal first, for I have been there earlier and I know the notority of Kunzum on weather front. So Shimla side is the way to go and come back. Since the plan started to formulate just a couple of days back, most of the things for first days halt near sarahan/Rampur seem to be booked. Any clean and decent place in jeori or ahead will also do and currently trying to find that.

Btw, do you reckon I book places in Spiti Valley also before hand ? I was looking to do it on the spot after seeing property and bargain a bit to get a deal ?

Rohit Kothari

Super User
Guys, if I start on 29 eve from Delhi, take a halt somewhere near zirakpur for the night and start around 6 from zirakpur, take the chail route to complete avoid Shimla and related traffic, would I be able to make to Kalpa by sundown?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
If you can start around 5 from Zirakpur, then you shouldn’t really find traffic around Shimla, especially if you take the bypass. Chail route would be slower. Either way, you should be able to reach Kalpa by evening.