Spiti - June 2016 Suggestions!!!


Trip Inventor
I am planning a trip in June, around June 10 2016, date not yet finalized by SWIFT petrol 10 yrs old.

Not a complete round Spiti trip.
Delhi-Ambala-Narkanda-Kalpa-Nako-Kaza-Losar then back to Delhi via same route,

I got information that trip can be done in SWIFT, easily till Kaza and then Kaza to Losar as well no major roadblocks.

From Losar I will book a full day taxi: Losar-Kunzum la pass-Chandrataal lake-Losar.
I am sure around 15 June kunzum la would be open from Losar side...
Please suggest...



Armchair Traveller :(
1) Your swift can do entire stretch from Delhi - Chandrataal and back. Drive carefully in tricky situations.

2) Why return the same way? You can return via manali and save a day or two which can be also used in Kinnaur or Spiti. Also the roads wouldn't be too good in Spiti & Kinnaur compared to Manali - Delhi.


Trip Inventor
My main concern is that SWIFT has not high ground clearance, And road between Losar-Roahtan Pass-Manali is too bad... Not for small car i guess, don't want to take risk...


Well-Known Member
I am sure around 15 June kunzum la would be open from Losar side...
View attachment 674974
Can I know why are you so sure that kunzum la would be open by 15 June ? Generally it open by June end or Jul first week.

I am also thinking of doing spiti circuit (though not yet finalized) starting 11th June. Again Is Chandrataal would be open by 15 june ?


Trip Inventor
Less snowfall this time and also the road to Chandrataal/kunzum la, i think is presently open, if you go via Kaza-Losar-Chandrataal/kunzum la.

Losar-kunzum la-rohtang pass-manali is still not open i guess...


Armchair Traveller :(
You shall go for msl to 4000 mts in just 2 days which would not give you sufficient time for acclimatization. I suggest you do the following as it has gradual rise in altitude which shall help you acclimatize better.

Delhi - Zirakpur
Zirakpur - Chitkul (3400 mts)
Chitkul - Kaza (3780 mts)
Kaza - Kye / Kibber etc
Kaza - Losar - Chandrataal (4000-4300mts) - Losar
Losar - Tabo
Tabo - Kalpa / Sarahan
Kalpa /Sarahan - Narkanda
Narkanda - Delhi


I am also doing the same circuit but a bit early starting from shimla from 5th June. Can't delay due to office work after that. My plan is as below:
5 Jun: shimla - Rakcham
6 Jun: Rakcham - Tabo
7 Jun: Tabo - Komic
8 Jun: Komic - Gramphu
9 Jun: Gramphu - Shoja
10 Jun: Shoja - Shimla
11 Jun: extra day

Sent from my Panasonic_Eluga_I3 using Tapatalk