Spiti - Second Time- 10 days - What to Focus

deepu.bansal87

to travel is to live
Hi All,

I will be again travelling to Spiti from Aug 31st to Sep 10th 2017. Last time I went there in 2015, It was a relaxed trip with no hurries but still missed few important places like Gue Monastery, Dhankar Lake (Tried but could not find :confused:) and most importantly Pin Valley (Road got closed because of some blastings as part of construction of road.

This time, I would not like to focus much in Kinnaur and Sarahan and use it more like a stopover.
I would be grateful to receive suggestions for following queries:

1. Any lovely short treks around Pin Valley for a day or two.
  2. HPTDC Volvo bus from Delhi has a schedule to reach Shimla by 5.30 AM. Does it generally reach on time ?
  3. I am looking to hire a taxi from Shimla on morning of 1st September for around 6 AM and plan to reach Kalpa by evening. Is it feasible ? How are the roads these days ?
  4. Any possibilities to visit Shipki La or Kaurik ? Which one is more feasible for ordinary Indian Citizens, I mean no contacts in Army.
  5. Any rough itinerary assuming I reach Kalpa by evening of 1st September. Anyways, I will formulate one after getting inputs for points 1 and 4 above.
  6. Any place to do self camping apart from Chandratal.
  7. Last time I loved the higher villages like Komic, Hikkim, Langza, Kibber. Would like to stay in one of those for one-two nights, rather in Dhankhar etc. Any suggestions for accommodations ?
  8. Any specific place to sight wildlife where I can spend more time. My intuition says Pin valley is the most promising candidate for same.

Thanks in advance.
Deepak

gkapoor

Super User
2. Yes the Volvo generally reaches on time unless there is some unexpected delay.
3. Call you taxi wala to meet you near victory tunnel since you need to go ahead to kalpa. No need to go to shimla isbt. We also did the same way. Reached Kalpa at around 4PM.
You dont need to go to Kalpa when visiting spiti, if you have been there earlier.
6. Camping at the lake is not allowed.

deepu.bansal87

to travel is to live
2. Yes the Volvo generally reaches on time unless there is some unexpected delay.
3. Call you taxi wala to meet you near victory tunnel since you need to go ahead to kalpa. No need to go to shimla isbt. We also did the same way. Reached Kalpa at around 4PM.
You dont need to go to Kalpa when visiting spiti, if you have been there earlier.
6. Camping at the lake is not allowed.
Thanks @gkapoor for the suggestions.

By the way I know about the camps being allowed only till 4 KM before the lake. I was referring to these camps only.

deepu.bansal87

to travel is to live
Hi All,

In continuation, this is the rough itinerary I have formulated.

31st Aug --- Delhi to Shimla: By Volvo. Reach Shimla by 5.30 AM in morning. Board a Cab (Innova)
1st Sep --- Shimla to Kalpa. Stay at PWD rest house
2nd Sep --- Kalpa - Tabo. Visit Gue Mummy, Tabo Monastery and Helipad. Night at Tabo
3rd Sep --- Tabo -Dhankhar-Lake- Sangnam-Mudh (Pin Valley- Where to stay ?)
4th Sep --- Pin Valley (Specific places to explore?)
5th Sep --- Pin Valley-Lidang-Demul-Komic-Hikkim-Langza (Stay at any one of these villages)
6th Sep --- Come down to Kaza
7th Sep --- Kaza-Key-Kibber-Tashigang-Gyete villages-(Kaza) - Losar ( We can skip Losar to save a day here i think)
8th Sep --- Losar - Chandratal (Camp at Chandratal)
9th Sep --- Chandratal - Batal - Gramphoo - Rohtang - Manali (Stay at Manali) or take Volvo to back to Delhi
10th Sep --- Buffer day to add Kaurik or Shipki La.

So following are the doubts in my mind finally:
  1. How to include Kaurik ? Will explore further myself, but any starting points can help a lot.
  2. Is the distribution of days at various places OK ? or should I add/remove something.
  3. Any lovely short treks around Pin Valley for a day or two.
  4. Any place to do self camping may be in Pin Valley or Komic/Hikkim/Langza etc. I hope equipments are available in Kaza.

Please suggest. Thanks.

Last edited:

deepu.bansal87

to travel is to live
Just went through web about the possibilities to get permits for Kaurik/Shipki La.
Chances are almost impossible, so thinking to focus on Spiti/Pin valley.

Please help with above queries post.

Thanks.
Deepak

deepu.bansal87

to travel is to live
Guys, please help. Are my questions too weird to answer ?

Any suggesstions on these two atleast would be helpful:
  1. Any lovely short treks around Pin Valley for a day or two.
  2. Any place to do self camping may be in Pin Valley or Komic/Hikkim/Langza etc. I hope equipments are available in Kaza.
Thanks,
Deepak

Dry Ice

Since this is your second time, you already must have a fair bit of idea about the place. :)

Whole Spiti is practically your oyster for camping, camp wherever you want, (preferably near the villages, at a higher ground than rivers). People will often guide you where you can put up your tent.

I am confused about your itinerary though. If you plan to pick up camping stuff in Kaza, are you planning to cover and camp in Pin valley after Kaza? You itinerary is the other way around.

As for the treks, check out the https://www.bcmtouring.com/forums/forums/mountaineering-and-trekking-travelogues.89/ section. Most treks are longer from here, but you can go till you feel like and return.

ggnajay

Hi,

Mudh drive was the best during our Spiti travel. There are many stay options run by local villagers & you will find plenty of spots for trekking. Lot of freigner travellers in Mudh village & local guide. Connect with Pin Parvati Paying Guest Houe , 094185-71167 for real time information.

Have a nice drive...

shikhap

looking for travel partner partner for Spiti
hey deepu.bansal I'm also travelling to spiti on the same dates from delhi. I'm alone right now, is it possible that I can join you, pls let me know how to connect. My digits are 9833618068

Abhi sharma

hey deepu.bansal I'm also travelling to spiti on the same dates from delhi. I'm alone right now, is it possible that I can join you, pls let me know how to connect. My digits are 9833618068
I m also want to travel in spiti for 1st time but im alone right now ...can i joinec u for guidance..

Last edited by a moderator: