Spiti -- Shinku la -- Sach pass itinerary

kkaushik

Kapil Kaushik
Hi All,

While I have covered both Spiti and Leh circuits in past on bike, this time I am planning to go by car (XUV 500), and was thinking of covering some of the places which I haven't been to in past, i.e.:
-- Sach Pass (always wanted to do this)
-- Shinku la (heard that this road opened only last year)

Dates: Aug 20th - Aug 28th
(I have a flexibility of a couple of days on these dates, but unfortunately can't delay till September)

Was thinking of the following itinerary, and wanted to take the inputs from all the veterans here.

Day 1: Gurgaon -- Sarahan
Day 2: Sarahan -- Nako
Day 3: Nako -- Kaza -- Chandrataal
Day 4: Chandrataal -- Keylong -- Zanskar Sumdo
Day 5: Zanskar Sumdo -- Shinku la -- Purne -- Darcha -- Shinku la -- Zanskar Sumdo/Keylong
Day 6: Zanskar Sumdo/Keylong -- Killar
Day 7: Killar -- Sach Pass -- Khajjiar
Day 8: Khajjiar -- Gurgaon

I understand that 1st day and last day are a bit long rides, but wanted to specifically check on the other things like:
1. Is August a good time to attempt Sach pass?
-- I've read that its quite landslide prone during that time
-- Also, I read that there are many nallahs that get a lot of water, so if we want to cross them, then what would be a good time?
2. Given that we don't have any other company (just me and my wife), should we attempt Shinku la? Are there any extra permits needed for Shinku la?
3. Do rest of the days (other than first and last) seem fine or would you recommend any changes to that as well?

Also, any other folks attempting this circuit during this time? Would love to have some more company :)

Cheers,
Kapil

skysat2005

Super User
I did Sach pass on bike last year but in September.

My suggestion is to do the trip other way round i.e. Gurgaon-Khajjiar-Sach and onwards.

It is said and observed in that access to Sach is comparatively better from Bairagarh side instead of Killad side.

Given the surplus rains this year, expect the worst of roads and nullahs in Sach circuit. Sach to Killad is very prone to landslides and is narrow stretch. Bagotu nullah after Sach pass and Nullah before Udaipur were tough to negotiate and they will not be easy in August.

Given the 8 days availability, my suggestion is to drop Spiti and attempt Sach, Shinku La and Chandratal, while returning from Manali itself.

Tentative itinerary could be-
1. Delhi to Khaijjiar
2. Khaijjiar to Killad, start the day around 5am
3. Killad to Keylong/Zanskar Sumdo
4. Keylong/Zanskar Sumdo to Shinkula and return to Keylong
5. Keylong to Chandratal
6. Chandratal to Manali
7. Manali to Delhi
8. Buffer day. You may utilise this day either spending a day at Udaipur to explore Miyar valley or spend a night extra at Chandratal to explore the region thoroughly.

No idea on Shinkula.

Enjoy the trip and drive safe. Cheers...

kkaushik

Kapil Kaushik
Hi Satish,

Thanks for your advice. Will certainly consider starting from Khajjiar instead or Spiti.....though Spiti continues to be on agenda even if it takes a day or two extra :)

Cheers,
Kapil

skysat2005

Super User
Hi Satish,

Thanks for your advice. Will certainly consider starting from Khajjiar instead or Spiti.....though Spiti continues to be on agenda even if it takes a day or two extra :)

Cheers,
Kapil
Hi Kaushik,

Your current Spiti itinerary is nothing but just passing through the region.

If you can add a couple of days in current plan, you can certainly do some justice to Spiti otherwise no sense of doing a touch and go kind of travel.

If you still prefer to continue with same plan, then the suggestion is -
- Do check weather and road status for Kinnaur region before you start. Wangtoo to Puh stretch is prone to landslides and frequent closures on account of that. Latest road updates are from Himachal state transport Reckong Peo depot. Just Google the help desk number and call them up.

Enjoy your journey and drive safe.
Cheers,
Satish

kkaushik

Kapil Kaushik
If you can add a couple of days in current plan, you can certainly do some justice to Spiti otherwise no sense of doing a touch and go kind of travel.
Fair point....and agreed. Have added 2 more days to my timeline as per your suggestion (total 10 days now).
Also, the intent of starting from Kinnaur side was that it will give me some more flexibility, wherein i can possibly drop Shinku la if I am getting delayed. The same would not be possible if I start from Dalhousie side.

Also agree on the landside part, as I had tried Spiti in last April, and had to return because of a huge landslide just before Pooh. This time will check with the Reckong Peo depot before starting.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
I agree with Satish, go via the Sach Pass side. Because stretch between Bairagarh and Sach Pass can get closed due to water accumulation at Kalavan. If that happens when you have crossed Sach Pass, the only option for you would be to spend the night at Satrundi at the dhaba tent.

Do Delhi to Bhanjraru and then Bhanjraru to Cherry, if you want to do this stretch in 2 days. Khajjiar to Killar would be extremely difficult, unless the route is completely clear.