Split-AC stops cooling and leaks water

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
I am facing this issue since last year. Whenever the humidity goes up, our Godrej Split-AC’s cooling efficiency goes down drastically and after a point, it stops cooling and starts leaking water, from the indoor unit.

Ice forms on the joint of pipe attached to the outdoor unit and outflow from the drain pipe reduces drastically.

After we switch off the AC, the outdoor unit starts leaking water, including from the radiator and after that, drain pipe too starts discharging water, which can continue for an hour or more.

We had complained about it last year a few times. Each time service technician came, cleaned the indoor AC unit, tried to flush to blockage by pouring water in it, and went back. Only to have the issue reappear after a while.

What could be the issue and how to get this resolved permanently?

Service technician will come today (AC is in AMC), but I am not confident about him resolving the issue permanently.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your AC needs a gas top-up. What is happening is that the evaporator coil (Indoor Unit) is getting iced up which reduces the air flow and eventually completely stops cooling. On being turned off the ice melts and the meltwater gets drained. And the cycle repeats.
Ask the technician to top up the gas charge. It is to be examined later whether there is a small leak in the sealed system if gas again reduces in a few days/weeks.
I am assuming that the air filter is clean.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Yes sir, AC filter is completely clean. In fact, it was cleaned earlier in the week when I got the 3M electrostatic filter installed.

We did start the AC last year, without any cleaning, due to an emergency situation and this has been happening since last year. But I guess, all the girt should have come out by now.

skysat2005

Super User
Yogesh bhai, there could be many reasons for the issues you have raised.
I would like to know whether these issues are there from the time this AC was installed newly or after some major repair which includes refrigerant gas leak or gas top up.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
We got the AC in 2014, so far the AC has only needed normal service i.e. wet once a year, and filter cleaning on a regular basis. No repair, gas topping etc. has been done till now.

Since last year, we have been facing this issue off and on. Nothing apart from trying to flush the blockage was done by the service guys. We have a 5 year AMC, I guess that is why they aren’t interested in topping up gas and stuff like that.

skysat2005

Super User
Yogesh bhai, from what you have mentioned above, it could be a case of gas leak (even excess gas can also throw up similar symptoms), some choking in capillary (the fine dia tubes which throttles gas into indoor unit), indoor heat exchanger choked due to dust/contamination.

Best is to get the system thoroughly checked. I believe Godrej uses R290 refrigerant gas and has well trained service team. They should be able to address the concern. In regard to AMC, if yours is a comprehensive AMC then it should cover all issues.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Yes, their technicians are well trained. However, as soon as they hear the AC is under AMC, they stop doing comprehensive stuff and try to get away with doing the least.

AMC is comprehensive, that is why I took a 4 additional year one at the beginning itself. Still wanted to confirm this, since otherwise I might have to go to the ATM :D.

In any case, the technician is supposed to arrive in a couple of hours, let's see what happens.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
.... However, as soon as they hear the AC is under AMC, they stop doing comprehensive stuff and try to get away with doing the least.
Elementary, my dear Watson, er, Yogesh! Don't tell them it is under AMC. Ask them to first fix it and that you think your AMC must have expired by now; that you'll need to pull it out and check after you get your sister's cupboard key from her, from her nearby office. Ask them how much it will cost to fix it today, just in case your AMC is over. :finga:
This is India!