Split-AC stops cooling and leaks water

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
.... is to identify source of the leak by sending a colored dye to detect the leak and then fix the problem and reload the Freon solution.
Haha, Big Daddy, this is most definitely incorrect. This procedure is never used, and cannot be used with any of the Freons.

Admin01

Administrator
As of now, the AC is working at 100%, cooling performance is completely back and so is airflow. So I can’t really escalate this unless the issue reappears within a few days.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sir, Godrej is the only AC company in India using Propane (R290) as refrigerant. However the gas quantity is limited to avoid explosions in case of a major leak.
Wow, is that the case? I'll be damned! This is far too dangerous for India. Why, even in the developed countries there have been mishaps with propane ACs and service technicians!

Admin01

Administrator
Well, that is true. Our AC uses R290. Maybe that is why the service technicians do not want to check the level of the gas :p.

skysat2005

Super User
Wow, is that the case? I'll be damned! This is far too dangerous for India. Why, even in the developed countries there have been mishaps with propane ACs and service technicians!
100% in agreement with you and that's why I believe Godrej must not have outsourced the servicing to outsiders.

Our so called galli-mohalla technicians cannot put hands on these machines.

Edit- The flammability of gas restricts it's usage in higher capacity AC units.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, it was used in my case. ....
You are right; there does seem to be a procedure that uses an ultraviolet dye! I would consider this akin to sabotage, haha! It is of utmost importance that extraneous substances not be introduced into the refrigerant circuit. The lubricating oils are very susceptible to degradation/spoilage, thereby wrecking the entire machine!