Srinagar - Leh road status, 2011

kshil

This thread is so inactive as if everyone is going via Manali this year. :(
I don't think that's the case, many people are equally eyeing at Srinagar road but we don't have any Top Singh in Kargil and that's probably the reason why it's not that active comparing to Manali thread:)

I would most likely be free in second half of May. How far can I go if I reach Srinagar by 15-17 May?
I don't think anyone can give you an answer to this as Srinagar Road is having a record of high standard deviation regarding opening date. It opened in April in few years and even open in late May for few years too. So wait and see how this year goes.

I was reading a blog here where last 10 years opening date of Zozila Pass was analyzed and historically it seems you have around 55% to 60% chance of going through Zozila around Mid May, if we assume that the data in the blog is correct.

Any update about the current status of the road? Thanks.
Around a week back when I spoken to Kargil taxi Union office, they said snow is quite heavy this year in Pass and opening is not expected before Mid May but since then again J&K is being hit by WD constantly and that results into more snow and delay in clearing process. So wait till first week of May for a better visibility.

TorqueAddict

The Traveller
I don't think that's the case, many people are equally eyeing at Srinagar road but we don't have any Top Singh in Kargil and that's probably the reason why it's not that active comparing to Manali thread:)

I don't think anyone can give you an answer to this as Srinagar Road is having a record of high standard deviation regarding opening date. It opened in April in few years and even open in late May for few years too. So wait and see how this year goes.

I was reading a blog here where last 10 years opening date of Zozila Pass was analyzed and historically it seems you have around 55% to 60% chance of going through Zozila around Mid May, if we assume that the data in the blog is correct.

Around a week back when I spoken to Kargil taxi Union office, they said snow is quite heavy this year in Pass and opening is not expected before Mid May but since then again J&K is being hit by WD constantly and that results into more snow and delay in clearing process. So wait till first week of May for a better visibility.

Thanks. I will wait for some time then.

jaxcool2007

the lost wanderer

+1 to that... We need to have one Top singh in Srinagar-Leh route as well :grin::grin::grin:

Fusion

Hi All,

I am new to this forum ... Just wanted to get an idea that will the srinagar leh route will be open in first week of June ... What is the trend like in last few years ...

Vicky

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Snow clearing is in full swing on the pass, about 60 miles away from Srinagar.

[T.P.S. Ravat, Chief Engineer, Border Road Organization]:
“Still, there is snow fall. There has been heavy snowfall for the last four-five days. We began clearing the highway in the last week of March. We have been told that the region witnessed the highest snowfall in the last 10-15 years. Despite the odds, our teams are doing their best to remove the snow. They are in fact working overtime.”

Snow cutters are being used round the clock to clear the road.

Nearly 63 miles of snow has been cleared so far, and officials hope the road will be opened by the end of the month.

Border Road Organization Clears Snow on Srinagar-Leh Highway -- NTDTV.com

Dear Yogesh Ji,
Thanks a lot for the valuable information. As my journey date is in the last week of May, now I can leave a breathe of relief.