Star Trail Help

Chetan Kulkarni

Super User
I've enclosed the pic that I captured using f/10, 15 sec exposure and ISO 100 or maybe it was ISO 80.

I don't have any stacking software. Do you know any good and free software?
For the stacking you can try StarStaX. It’s free, is updated quite often, and looks pretty good. You can download it here Software - StarStaX

On the image itself I think a longer exposure on a larger aperture might be better because right now hardly any light seems to be captured from the stars. Also composition wise you may want to get something better. The building on the right looks odd.

Prasham

Armchair Traveller :(
Why are you shooting at f10? With the DOF of small sensors, you will have everything in focus at even around f5.6
I shot 2-3 pics at F/10 since hensil had suggested it, just for testing. Then I shifted to f/3.4 or nearby.

For the stacking you can try StarStaX. It’s free, is updated quite often, and looks pretty good. You can download it here Software - StarStaX

On the image itself I think a longer exposure on a larger aperture might be better because right now hardly any light seems to be captured from the stars. Also composition wise you may want to get something better. The building on the right looks odd.
Thanks for the suggestion of software. Regarding composition it was just time pass, I am interested only in capturing decent start trails.

rkbharat

Guru
As I had mentioned later I took about 20 shots of 1 min, wide angle, f/3.4 (or something nearby). These shots clearly show the movement of stars. First pic below is of this set.
I've enclosed the pic that I captured using f/10, 15 sec exposure and ISO 100 or maybe it was ISO 80. See the second pic enclosed below

I don't have any stacking software. Do you know any good and free software?
This will not work if you are trying it in city light. No point even trying it.

Prasham

Ok... I've used a startrails applicatoin and processed below image... Please give your tips/suggestions/opinions.

- - - Updated - - -

What happened guys? All of a sudden no body is giving any remarks !!!

I have a question... The above pic is result of multiple shots of 1 min shutter speed (1+1 minute). As clearly seen, instead of a smooth trail, it looks more like an interrupted trail :( Should I take say double the shots at 30 sec shutter speed? Will it improve the "Trail" :D

Attachments

hensil

Guru
I shot 2-3 pics at F/10 since hensil had suggested it, just for testing. Then I shifted to f/3.4 or nearby.

Thanks for the suggestion of software. Regarding composition it was just time pass, I am interested only in capturing decent start trails.
Ok... I've used a startrails applicatoin and processed below image... Please give your tips/suggestions/opinions.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a question... The above pic is result of multiple shots of 1 min shutter speed (1+1 minute). As clearly seen, instead of a smooth trail, it looks more like an interrupted trail :( Should I take say double the shots at 30 sec shutter speed? Will it improve the "Trail" :D
Prasham,
I suggested you to shoot at widest aperture or atleast f/3.5 for the simple reason that stars get registered. You said you had shot at f/10 and was satisfied. i wanted you to shoot and find yourself. Please read previous posts.
You have succeeded in merging the timelapse but the dotted lines are not looking good. To eliminates those gaps you need to shoot for longer shutter speed and reduce the time between the shots. For this an DSLR is suitable. Also, add some focal length to get closer to the stars.
Henry

Prasham

Prasham,
I suggested you to shoot at widest aperture or atleast f/3.5 for the simple reason that stars get registered. You said you had shot at f/10 and was satisfied. i wanted you to shoot and find yourself. Please read previous posts.
You have succeeded in merging the timelapse but the dotted lines are not looking good. To eliminates those gaps you need to shoot for longer shutter speed and reduce the time between the shots. For this an DSLR is suitable. Also, add some focal length to get closer to the stars.
Henry
Okay maybe I've forgot in the euphoria of clicking my first star trail.

Back to business... I believe that longer shutter speed will mean longer intervals and hence it would look bad due to the unavailability of long exposure noise cancellation option. I believe that taking more pics at faster shutter speed will make the intervals shorter and hence it might look better. Anyways I'll try both combinations tonight.

hensil

Guru
Okay maybe I've forgot in the euphoria of clicking my first star trail.

Back to business... I believe that longer shutter speed will mean longer intervals and hence it would look bad due to the unavailability of long exposure noise cancellation option. I believe that taking more pics at faster shutter speed will make the intervals shorter and hence it might look better. Anyways I'll try both combinations tonight.
Prasham,
I remember now: The dotted lines cannot be avoided in your camera because you don't have the option of cancelling the Long Shutter Noise Reduction. Hence, you'll see the gaps between the trails when your camera is busy recording the black frame. Maybe some one has some other trick?
Henry

Prasham

Does the position of stars change every day? Say for example if I shoot few shots of 1 min every day at same time & keeping the tripod in the same position, will I get a continuous star trail?

Chetan Kulkarni

Super User

I think this is an excellent result for a first try. Obviously as you learn you will do even better.

On the subject of the dots, it is purely down to the gap between the two shots. If you take shots for 1 minute and have a gap for 1 second then you will not have visible dots. On my DSLR I turn off the display of the image on the LCD. That process takes most of the time and with this the curve looks almost continuous. Check if this is possible in your camera and see if the gap can be reduced.

I had once read another recommendation of avoiding the dots. Some brilliant guy rotated the image in order to cover the gap (for pure star trails with no subject in the foreground) :)

Prasham,
I remember now: The dotted lines cannot be avoided in your camera because you don't have the option of cancelling the Long Shutter Noise Reduction. Hence, you'll see the gaps between the trails when your camera is busy recording the black frame. Maybe some one has some other trick?
Henry
My understanding of non DSLRs is limited but does every camera record a black frame after the image?