Star Trail Help

Prasham

Armchair Traveller :(
Tone down the contrast and I guess we'll be able to see little sky as well ;)

Wonderful pic BTW.

rajput.ankush

Lovely pictures, both of them.
Ankush, the amount of trails are fine. Its about perspective, some like it clean. But why B&W?
Thankyou sir..
B&W :O Sir its not a black n white image.. A little yellowish tinge can be seen on the mountain lower side..
Anyways will try increasing a little warmth..

Tone down the contrast and I guess we'll be able to see little sky as well ;)

Wonderful pic BTW.
Thank you sir :) Will try your suggestion :)

svamshi

Vamshi
Initial attempts at Starlight trials...

Please let me know if these are acceptable trials? I had used Rule of 600 to arrive at the shutter priority...

Also i had installed google sky map on my phone, so the next set of attempts would be with Pole star in the frame. I think Winter is the best season to get some clear night skies, although very hard to get a very clear sky till midnight...thanks to air, and light pollution :)

Both the images are shot using D7100 with 50mm prime
1)
Captured around 7pm.
Shutter 8secs
f2.8
ISO 100
WB - Tungsten
170 frames with an interval of 9 secs

2)
Captured around 5am.
Shutter 8secs
f2.2
ISO 100
WB - Direct Sunglight
280 frames with an interval of 9 secs

1)
s1.jpg

2)
s3.jpg

Last edited:

hensil

Guru
vamshi,
Couple of suggestion. Shoot at wider angle so that you get more more circular trails and include some foreground.
Henry

svamshi

Vamshi
Yes Henry, it would had been good to capture it from a wide angle...
presently I am holding only the 50mm prime, all my other lenses are picked up by friend who is on a trip to US.

zack2137

Leh'd and how!
The pictures are pretty clean, so that's a plus. But the FL isn't enough. Wider the better, the rulebook says. Also you need not worry about WB if you're shooting RAW. I've always shot star trails in a single exposure, 20mins or more. With a 2.2 aperture, go for 15mins exposure flat, provided the area is cold enough to keep the sensor going.

svamshi

Vamshi
The pictures are pretty clean, so that's a plus. But the FL isn't enough. Wider the better, the rulebook says. Also you need not worry about WB if you're shooting RAW. I've always shot star trails in a single exposure, 20mins or more. With a 2.2 aperture, go for 15mins exposure flat, provided the area is cold enough to keep the sensor going.
Zack,

Yes, will definitely go wider on my next star trial attempts.

I shot these images using the in-camera interval photography feature, where in it only permits to shoot non-Raw mode, so pretty much we are stuck with WB using this method.

Ya, i could try the long exposure method, but never did. Whats your opinion on the noise generated because of such long exposures ? Could we correct that in post processing, or camera does good work with nose reduction of long exposure feature? Apart from the heat factor, it is been said, that there is risk of decreasing the life of sensor by doing such long exposures...

zack2137

Leh'd and how!
Ya, i could try the long exposure method, but never did. Whats your opinion on the noise generated because of such long exposures ? Could we correct that in post processing, or camera does good work with nose reduction of long exposure feature? Apart from the heat factor, it is been said, that there is risk of decreasing the life of sensor by doing such long exposures...
I'm not sure about that but since I didn't have a stacking software (and my laptop didn't allow me to install one), so I've always gone for the long exposure technique.

This is the most recent shot I've: