Star trails

hensil

Guru
Any tips on improving star trails capture and software to use?
What system you use? What is the exif data of your picture? That looks like a single exposure.
I have already explained how to shoot startrail in this forum, if you search for it you can find.
Henry

Punto

What system you use? What is the exif data of your picture? That looks like a single exposure.
I have already explained how to shoot startrail in this forum, if you search for it you can find.
Henry
NIKON D5200
f/5
Exposure - 30s
ISO - 4000
focal length - 18mm
max aperture - 3.6
EXIF version - 0230

The star trails is composed from 69 shots.

hensil

Guru
NIKON D5200
f/5
Exposure - 30s
ISO - 4000
focal length - 18mm
max aperture - 3.6
EXIF version - 0230

The star trails is composed from 69 shots.
Hi Punto,
If you notice, your star trail has dotted lines. To eliminate/reduce the gap between the dots you need to keep the static time between the exposure as short as possible. For you D5200, it should be approximately 4-5 secs, just enough to save the file to your memory card.
You can also remove the dots in Photoshop by applying circular rotation. This will be trial and error till you get the correct angle of rotation.
I would also suggest to include the foreground and make a good composition. Latter you'll have to select one picture and composite the foreground with your star trail.
Henry
PS:Which intervalometer are you using?

Punto

Hi Punto,
If you notice, your star trail has dotted lines. To eliminate/reduce the gap between the dots you need to keep the static time between the exposure as short as possible. For you D5200, it should be approximately 4-5 secs, just enough to save the file to your memory card.
You can also remove the dots in Photoshop by applying circular rotation. This will be trial and error till you get the correct angle of rotation.
I would also suggest to include the foreground and make a good composition. Latter you'll have to select one picture and composite the foreground with your star trail.
Henry
PS:Which intervalometer are you using?
I didnt used any intervalometer but uses interval shooting feature of Nikon.
Also Is there any hack for shooting star trail without using tripod?

hensil

Guru
I didnt used any intervalometer but uses interval shooting feature of Nikon.
Also Is there any hack for shooting star trail without using tripod?
If not tripod then you need some type of support for the camera, however it will be more pain to shoot. So a tripod is a must.
You also need an external intervalometer to avoid touching the camera and have more control.
You can get an excellent app for Android called qdslrdashboard. It is worth every bit of the 10 dollars it cost. You can do lot of stuff in this.
Henry

Punto

If not tripod then you need some type of support for the camera, however it will be more pain to shoot. So a tripod is a must.
You also need an external intervalometer to avoid touching the camera and have more control.
You can get an excellent app for Android called qdslrdashboard. It is worth every bit of the 10 dollars it cost. You can do lot of stuff in this.
Henry
This time I am going for D3400 which does not support intervalometer.
I think I can use IR remote for shutter release but I am wondering if the self time will be good to use instead of IR remote?

nadz11.ns

Super User
Learning to capture star trails.
This is my first ever try.

This is the result of ~100 images at 8sec exposure, f/3.5, ISO 400 at 18mm.
Total time captured around 15mins.

I wanted to capture for longer, but my camera (Nikon D3200) stopped clicking after some 105 images :( and started to copy to the memory card.
I used a simple cable release and locked the shutter button. I think the camera buffer to card transfer wasn't fast enough.
Anything I could do to not have the camera stop like this?