Stranded Alone In A Fresh Heavy Snow Fall For 122 Winter Days. An Amazing Travelogue

Lavs

Super User
WOW - just read it in one go.

Puran Singh ji and Top Singh ji - Hats off to you both....

As Amit says - this asks for a ride to meet them in person.......

Last edited:
Re: Stranded Alone In A Fresh Heavy Snow Fall For 122 Winter Days. An Amazing Travelo

Top Singh ji,

Juley..

I spent a fascinating afternoon reading this story. I hope you get time to add more details that you have hinted about. For eg. "The coming of the Crow in my room and how we learnt the language of each other is also an interesting story which I will write later." I know that this incident happened almost 40 years ago, so memories will be a little faded (I am surprised he remembers anything at all!) but I hope you are able to spend some time with Sh. Puran Singhji and get some more details because there are so many questions that come to the mind:

• Did the ration last for the full duration or did he have to go hungry for a few days in the end?
  • Did he make a sledge?
  • Did he need to "prepare a pair of shoes with wide wooden stick soles to walk over the soft snow to Chhatru-Gramphu and then to Koksar village"?
  • I did not understand what you meant by: "To see the possibility if the knees are provided with the rubber sheets/leather sheets to scroll down the knees using as legs to cover the distance upto Koksar."
  • You mention that he spun some wool into yarn to make socks and gloves, is it common practice to keep some raw wool ready to do this? I have seen many pahadi people spinning wool, and so the chowkidar must have kept some wool for this amongst other provisions.
  • Did he manage "To explore the possibilities if the animals can be used for riding etc. to Koksar or can be used as messengers to the villages and to try this understanding and friendship is required."?
  • You said, "To explore the possibilities of using river Chandra flowing downward towards Koksar village to use as a way of transportation by steamer etc.", I am sure you meant a boat, but is the river ever used for such transportation in even normal times?
  • Did Sh. Puran Singh manage to find the wonder plant "Chharma" in those 122 days?
  • How did he manage a bath (or two) when there was no water to even drink?
  • How was his health when he was finally rescued (although you do mention that he never fell sick). He must have lost a lot of weight.

Please do not take offence at my questions. I just wanted to help in making this fantastic account even more readable and 'complete'. In fact I have been coming to BCMT for many months now, but I registered today only to correspond with you. If I read it correctly, you are in Bilaspur these days, I hope to meet you in person some day..

Thank you for taking the efforts at writing this. It tells us about how difficult life must have been in those days.

Juley
Juley.. Lithuam sunset Ji...
Sorry and I beg your pardon that I couldn't reply your questions well in time. Actually I was stuck en-route while replying in the travelogue due to my retirement which has now been extended by the HP Govt. for a year and my business in appointments in the life. Also I couldn't make it due to doing up and down every weekend from Bilaspur to Kullu/Manali. The replies to the questions are as under:-
1. He calculated the quantity of ration up to the March end and accordingly the villagers crossed the Rohtang Pass in the Month of March and took him along to Hansa. He never remained hungry.
2. He thought of a plan to make a sledge for survival but didn't make.
3. He thought but not tried to make the shoes with wooden stick soles to walk over the snow.
4. To cover his knees with rubber to cover the distance up to Koksar by laying down straight on the fresh snow by using the both knees as a leg.
5. Yes he made shirts by the clothes and woolen gloves by spinning the sheep wool there.
6. Yes, the animals are of a great use in the Himalayas and he used up to some extent. For example the story of the crow the story of which is yet to come as promised in the posts.
7. It has never been used in the past but the rivers in Himalayas can transport timber downward.
8. Yes, obviously he found but the post will surely come in the near future.
9. He melted the snow on the tandoor and took bath easily.
10.He never fell ill but he lost his weight due to the lesser amount of food he was taking since long.
Yes you are welcome in the valley of God and Goddess i.e. in Kullu/Manali. I shall be pleased. Juley.

Re: Stranded Alone In A Fresh Heavy Snow Fall For 122 Winter Days. An Amazing Travelo

Welcome to BCMT Lithium - Welcome as you finally registered.
This great tale made you after all :)

Juley - Top Singh Ji.
Hope all's great at your end.
All of us are waiting to know the remaining story and answer to all the questions asked above. Hope you find time soon to feed us with that.
Juley..saurab..
I have brought the Hero Home quickly just to stop your eagerness but the survival days of 122 can be written date and day wise. Let me retire from the HP Govt. Service but however I shall be answering the posts in the above thread which remained un-answered since long. The next slot will come after answering all the precious posts. Juley.

Lavs

Super User

Juley..saurab..
I have brought the Hero Home quickly just to stop your eagerness but the survival days of 122 can be written date and day wise. Let me retire from the HP Govt. Service but however I shall be answering the posts in the above thread which remained un-answered since long. The next slot will come after answering all the precious posts. Juley.
Juley Top Singh Ji, We have been waiting and will keep waiting for your posts....

Hum Intezaar Karenge.........

Happy...
Thrilling...
Stunned...
Astonished...
High Hopes...
Adrenaline Rush...
Tears of Joy and Excitement...

What a breathtaking, once in a lifetime, epic journey....Salute to The Man, Sh Puran Singh Ji. Thanks to Sh Top Singh Bodh Ji. I cannot express in words how much respect and honour I have for both of you...Superb..

I will like to quote some points from the journey:

"I remember that out of about 3 curves one was very dangerous and there were many stretches where the rear one tyre doesn’t touch the road."
Awsome adventure back then. Roads now are so much fun to drive. The real fun is being missed now.

"I decided to quit the Govt. service but it was only my wife who made me understand the value of Govt."
A wife is a wife and no one else can beat a wife's determination. If my wife fights with me for no reason, it is me who has to find a reason and say sorry. That much determined a wife is. :)

"The sounds which were coming in the night were the sounds of winds and nothing else but I can presume these sounds may be the souls of about 150 Tibetan workers who died there in Chhota Dara a few years back while working for the construction of Gramphu-Losar road when it snowed suddenly in the night and they all buried in tents under the snow and the people say that their souls are wandering for search of path to rest in peace."
Scary !! I tried to find some info about this sad incident relating to the Tibetan workers could not find any. If anyone gets any heads up then please share.

"A few years back many students were died in Chhota dara while trekking and crossing the Chandra river and last year in June 2010 about 23 boys and girls from Mumbai were declared missing in this route after a snow fall and they were not in contact with Sanjay Pandya (Mumbai) for about a week and finally they were searched by the rescue party at Batal and finally got lifted by air to Bhang (Kullu) and than to Mumbai."
It seems this is the incident, Mr Top Singh Bodh Ji is referring to: Snow bound - The Times of India

"My eyes were paining due to U.V. rays in snow so I made a sun glass of black Sarhi cloth and covered the eyes to protect from the direct reflection of UV rays in the snow"
This is a news to me. This journey has taught many lessons.

"It was snowing since my stranding so I could not go out to search the plant of “Chharma” which generally grow naturally in trans-cold-desert The plant is the life line of the people living in high mountains and snow bound areas. It is a “Wonder Plant” and the gift of almighty God......It’s orange Berry is tasty and contain high level of nutrients and is one of the most nutritious fruit grow on the planet....."

DSC_1016.jpg

Now I recall of seeing plants with the above description at many places during my recent Spiti visit. Is the above plant the one that you are talking about ? "Chharma" ? How I now wish, that I should have stopped and tasted few. :(

Last edited: