Stranded Alone In A Fresh Heavy Snow Fall For 122 Winter Days. An Amazing Travelogue

Happy...
Thrilling...
Stunned...
Astonished...
High Hopes...
Adrenaline Rush...
Tears of Joy and Excitement...

What a breathtaking, once in a lifetime, epic journey....Salute to The Man, Sh Puran Singh Ji. Thanks to Sh Top Singh Bodh Ji. I cannot express in words how much respect and honour I have for both of you...Superb..

I will like to quote some points from the journey:

"I remember that out of about 3 curves one was very dangerous and there were many stretches where the rear one tyre doesn’t touch the road."
Awsome adventure back then. Roads now are so much fun to drive. The real fun is being missed now.

"I decided to quit the Govt. service but it was only my wife who made me understand the value of Govt."
A wife is a wife and no one else can beat a wife's determination. If my wife fights with me for no reason, it is me who has to find a reason and say sorry. That much determined a wife is. :)

"The sounds which were coming in the night were the sounds of winds and nothing else but I can presume these sounds may be the souls of about 150 Tibetan workers who died there in Chhota Dara a few years back while working for the construction of Gramphu-Losar road when it snowed suddenly in the night and they all buried in tents under the snow and the people say that their souls are wandering for search of path to rest in peace."
Scary !! I tried to find some info about this sad incident relating to the Tibetan workers could not find any. If anyone gets any heads up then please share.

"A few years back many students were died in Chhota dara while trekking and crossing the Chandra river and last year in June 2010 about 23 boys and girls from Mumbai were declared missing in this route after a snow fall and they were not in contact with Sanjay Pandya (Mumbai) for about a week and finally they were searched by the rescue party at Batal and finally got lifted by air to Bhang (Kullu) and than to Mumbai."
It seems this is the incident, Mr Top Singh Bodh Ji is referring to: Snow bound - The Times of India

"My eyes were paining due to U.V. rays in snow so I made a sun glass of black Sarhi cloth and covered the eyes to protect from the direct reflection of UV rays in the snow"
This is a news to me. This journey has taught many lessons.

"It was snowing since my stranding so I could not go out to search the plant of “Chharma” which generally grow naturally in trans-cold-desert The plant is the life line of the people living in high mountains and snow bound areas. It is a “Wonder Plant” and the gift of almighty God......It’s orange Berry is tasty and contain high level of nutrients and is one of the most nutritious fruit grow on the planet....."

View attachment 563918

Now I recall of seeing plants with the above description at many places during my recent Spiti visit. Is the above plant the one that you are talking about ? "Chharma" ? How I now wish, that I should have stopped and tasted few. :(
Julley...Dev Ji.
The Chharma plant is as under:-
30082014602.jpg

Top Singh Ji Juley..

What do I say??No words can explain it.. We think that we are into adventure but this tale would take air out of everyone.

I am completely speechless. This was truly bone chilling. It is always on my mind from the time I have started reading this.

Kudos to Sh. Puran Singh Ji for surviving that harsh side of nature and Hats Off to you also for making it out of that harsh stretch on foot in one day and now narrating Puran Ji's story to all of us.

However I have one question, though I am so confused that even if I deserve to ask anything or not. Also my intent is to just solve a little confusion and not to offend anyone. Still would apologize if I am not being able t frame this question correctly. When you posted, Sh. Puran Singh Ji's photograph and mentioned that he couldn't tell the story and the narration is yours, what did you mean by that. How did you manage to narrate it in such detail?

I am totally hooked and would be waiting for your next update.

Juley..!!
Juley..Navneet ji.
Thanks for liking the travelogue. I am to say in reply to your question that I was also there in Spiti when he stranded in snow and that I belong from the same district of Lahaul Spiti so I know the culture, heritage and living style of the people there. Yes it is true that I met with him during the night once and took a snap of him by Cellphone. It was the meeting of about half and hour, I noted down some details i.e. about the food grains available, clothes available, Bedding in the room, efforts made before stranding, his earned leave dates, his dates of postings as Chowkidar and Gram Sewak, how and why his leave was got sanctioned, details of recovery pointed out by the department, amount of prize he got in Kaza etc. but when I asked as to how he spent the days, he said, it was an old days of stranding so I can't explain as to how spent the days and he said I cann't explain the details of the days spent and than he said you can write the story as per your experience of living in the snow being you know the coldness and glaciers etc. The same facts, I have already mentioned in my previous postings that he couldn't tell the details of the days of stranding and that how he spent the days there are based upon my experiences and its narrations are of mine. We took tea in the dhaba once only for about half an hour and after that I couldn't meet with him. The stranding and its dates are true but how he spent the days and the feelings of coldness etc. are of mine. Thanks a lot. Juley.

navneet1986

Juley..Navneet ji.
Thanks for liking the travelogue. I am to say in reply to your question that I was also there in Spiti when he stranded in snow and that I belong from the same district of Lahaul Spiti so I know the culture, heritage and living style of the people there. Yes it is true that I met with him during the night once and took a snap of him by Cellphone. It was the meeting of about half and hour, I noted down some details i.e. about the food grains available, clothes available, Bedding in the room, efforts made before stranding, his earned leave dates, his dates of postings as Chowkidar and Gram Sewak, how and why his leave was got sanctioned, details of recovery pointed out by the department, amount of prize he got in Kaza etc. but when I asked as to how he spent the days, he said, it was an old days of stranding so I can't explain as to how spent the days and he said I cann't explain the details of the days spent and than he said you can write the story as per your experience of living in the snow being you know the coldness and glaciers etc. The same facts, I have already mentioned in my previous postings that he couldn't tell the details of the days of stranding and that how he spent the days there are based upon my experiences and its narrations are of mine. We took tea in the dhaba once only for about half an hour and after that I couldn't meet with him. The stranding and its dates are true but how he spent the days and the feelings of coldness etc. are of mine. Thanks a lot. Juley.

Juely Top Singh Ji..

Thanks for your revert.

guptataru

Juley, Top singh JI.
This is one of few epic travelogues I ever have read. No amount of appreciative words can describe the emotions hidden in this epic. I really thank you to present this epic story to us. Thank you.

rameshtahlan

Super User
i don't have words to express my feeling after reading this travelogue,

Mr Puran Singh is a hero,
this is what needs to be translated to a feature film... screw these TV channels....

what is amazing is that he used all his knowledge from the past experience he had acquired during his various and varied duties.
If i were to get stuck like that... i think i would never make it.

I have read this travelogue in one go..
and the feeling i am getting is as of I have just come out of a movie hall after seeing a feature film.... wow

every word, every sentence he has used to describe, made me mentally view the images as if i am standing there with him,
i think this is cause of the two rd trips i made, one to Ladakh, and one to Spiti Valley.

When guys ask me today as to can we do the Ladakh trip in this car, or that car,
i have only one line for them,,,, start the engine and burn you tyres....

Want to thank Top Singh Bodh, for putting the story out here. THANKS BRO,,,,, you have done all of us a huge favour.

This year in May, did a road trip to Spiti Valley, could only go till about 100m beyond Losar... there was no road beyond that, complete snow covered.
That is why i want to make the same trip in April 2016, hope it goes through as planned,
then maybe will do it again in March 2017

and that reminds me... need to get an axe, and a spade as part of the mandatory stuff to carry on my 4 wheeler trip.

If anyone ever meets Mr Puran Singh, do convey my fondest regards to him and his family.

happy landings
RT

nidhi0106

Superb narration sir.... I read the entire log in one stretch and glad that I complete it. Truly inspiring and nerve chilling narration.

Hats off to both of you.