Suggest a WiFi Router and NAS combo

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
Can you guys suggest me one good router for home use? Am kinda of blank on which router to buy. (have around 4 phones/Laptop/iPad to connect to the net)

Thanks!

If am thread-jacking, let me know. I will open a new thread!
It'd be better to buy a double antenna one which can cater to upto 300Mbps . And if you wish to add a hard disk or pendrive to it, ensure it has an USB port on it. I am using a TP-Link unit and overall happy with it. After Sales Service is pretty effective in Delhi.

One tip: Place your unit at a higher place. Either on top of your refrigerator or wall mount it at say 6-7 feet high from ground. No matter what the manufacturers claim, choose a place with minimum distractions from walls, etc.

VishKi

It'd be better to buy a double antenna one which can cater to upto 300Mbps . And if you wish to add a hard disk or pendrive to it, ensure it has an USB port on it. I am using a TP-Link unit and overall happy with it. After Sales Service is pretty effective in Delhi.

One tip: Place your unit at a higher place. Either on top of your refrigerator or wall mount it at say 6-7 feet high from ground. No matter what the manufacturers claim, choose a place with minimum distractions from walls, etc.
Any particular model you can direct me to?

Am thinking of this router: http://www.amazon.in/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N-300Mbps-Wireless-Router/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486631155&sr=8-1&keywords=TP-Link

Last edited:

Admin01

Administrator
What is your budget? Do you need an ADSL router or a normal router which accepts LAN internet connections?

How big is your place and what sort of Wi-Fi devices do you have?

VishKi

What is your budget? Do you need an ADSL router or a normal router which accepts LAN internet connections?

How big is your place and what sort of Wi-Fi devices do you have?
My budget is around 1000 to 1500.

I migrated from the very slow BSNL broadband to a new Internet provider (Fibernet). They have installed a device that takes only a wired connection to my laptop. I am looking for a router which i can use to access my Phones/iPad/Laptop.

Have a 2 floors place, so looking for a wide connectivity (this may be ignored for now!)

VishKi

I am using the following router for over a month now, easily configurable and works well https://www.amazon.in/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N-300Mbps-Wireless-Router/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00&linkCode=ll1&tag=dslrdealsindia-21&linkId=9301fa1677872a96af580ebd219396ae. Range seems decent, though if you face problem later on, you can always add a booster on the second floor.
Thank you for your reply Yogesh! Any second option on the routers that i should be looking into?

Admin01

Administrator
Unless you want to buy dual band routers or ones with 1000mbps LAN ports, this should be more than enough. Frankly speaking, in this price range I didn't find any better options. You can install OpenWRT on this as well.

VishKi

Unless you want to buy dual band routers or ones with 1000mbps LAN ports, this should be more than enough. Frankly speaking, in this price range I didn't find any better options. You can install OpenWRT on this as well.
Thanks Yogesh! I have ordered the TP-Link router. That suits my purpose .

Admin01

Administrator
Congrats. Once it arrives, make sure to lock it down properly, it has a lot of security options. In particular, turn off WPS and UPnP. Under Advanced Security, don't switch on ICMP filter etc. otherwise it can block your own system for receiving large amount of packets while playing online videos.

VishKi

Congrats. Once it arrives, make sure to lock it down properly, it has a lot of security options. In particular, turn off WPS and UPnP. Under Advanced Security, don't switch on ICMP filter etc. otherwise it can block your own system for receiving large amount of packets while playing online videos.
Thanks Yogesh for your valuable feedback. I received my TPLink router & have configured it to work accordingly.

A small question. The broadband guy gave me an ip address (with a user name & pwd) & told me to login to that site everyday to make sure we can access the internet. Is there a way to add this user id & pwd in the router itself so that i don't have to login to the site everyday.