Suggestions for driving holiday in May

parastanna

Hi Friends,
I am planning for 8-9 days road trip in the month of May. I am based out of Chandigarh. Kind request to give your opinion about different circuit basis the best time to go and crowd situation because of school holidays.

Kindly advice.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
I doubt you will be able to escape crowd, irrespective of where you go. Even places like Spiti and Kinnaur have become crowded over the years. Of course, the crowd there is much less in comparison to the usual hill stations. So make sure to book hotels in advance, before travelling.

It would be a good idea to keep an eye on the election dates as well and avoid visiting a state during the election day, since majority of restaurants will be closed on that day.

parastanna

I doubt you will be able to escape crowd, irrespective of where you go. Even places like Spiti and Kinnaur have become crowded over the years. Of course, the crowd there is much less in comparison to the usual hill stations. So make sure to book hotels in advance, before travelling.

It would be a good idea to keep an eye on the election dates as well and avoid visiting a state during the election day, since majority of restaurants will be closed on that day.
Thanks for replying YS.
Thanks for your suggestions and I will keep election dates in mind while traveling. Can you suggest on where should we be heading. I had zeroed down on Kumaon but everyone is saying that it would be the worst time to go to Kumaon so I am in double mind. Kindly help.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
That is true; it would be hazy at that time.

My suggestion would be to do the following, if you have not done this route earlier and do not mind driving on bad roads.

Day 1: Chandigarh to Chakrata.

Day 2: Chakrata to Rohru.

Day 3: Rohru to Chanshal Pass and back.

Day 4: Rohru to Daran Pass via Baggi and Taklach, there is a PWD Rest House at top. Try to book it and do not take no for an answer. There will be electricity problem and water issue, but apart from that, no issue, except maybe that you can encounter leopard or bear there. If you cannot get booking at Daran Pass or do not wish to stay there, then you have the option to heading to Sarahan and staying there or at FRH Gopalpur.

Day 5: Sightseeing Sarahan.

Day 6: Travel to Karsog or Chindi.

Day 7: Sightseeing.

Day 8: Head to Chandigarh.

Barot side is also a good option, if you do not want to do off-roading.

Another alternative is Churdhar, if you want to trekking.

parastanna

Barot I have done last Diwali on your suggestion and I really loved it.

Is this the Sirmaur Valley circuit which you have suggested? How bad the roads will be? I have 4*2 Scorpio. Will it be okay in that?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
No, this is combination of Pabbar Valley and Daranghati. Sirmaur is mostly lower Himachal, around Renuka Ji and Churdhar Peaks.

adsatinder

explorer
Is this the Sirmaur Valley circuit which you have suggested? How bad the roads will be? I have 4*2 Scorpio. Will it be okay in that?
I went last April to Churdhar for Trek.
You can easily go in May.
Road conditions are ok.
We did in Honda Amaze. Patchy Roads but repair work was going on
It is magnageable easily.
Trek from Nohradhar is little difficult as snow at top hill can damage route. Start early morning to reach before sunset at main temple. Use Stick to cover difficult parts.

Trek from Chopal / Sarahan side is much better till Churdhar Peak.

Rush will be much less than any other circuit.

Last edited:

parastanna

Hi,
Can you suggest me whether shall I be able to do Kinnaur Valley as well as Spiti Valley during that period? I do understand that Kaza- Manali would be closed and I shall not be able to do Chandertal but shall Shimla-Kaza be open? Current status in the road status in bcmt is showing as road open with lots of snow for Shimla- Kaza. What is expected by 2nd week of May?

parastanna

C
That is true; it would be hazy at that time.

My suggestion would be to do the following, if you have not done this route earlier and do not mind driving on bad roads.

Day 1: Chandigarh to Chakrata.

Day 2: Chakrata to Rohru.

Day 3: Rohru to Chanshal Pass and back.

Day 4: Rohru to Daran Pass via Baggi and Taklach, there is a PWD Rest House at top. Try to book it and do not take no for an answer. There will be electricity problem and water issue, but apart from that, no issue, except maybe that you can encounter leopard or bear there. If you cannot get booking at Daran Pass or do not wish to stay there, then you have the option to heading to Sarahan and staying there or at FRH Gopalpur.

Day 5: Sightseeing Sarahan.

Day 6: Travel to Karsog or Chindi.

Day 7: Sightseeing.

Day 8: Head to Chandigarh.

Barot side is also a good option, if you do not want to do off-roading.

Another alternative is Churdhar, if you want to trekking.
Can I squeeze this in 4 days? I will try doing this during April in that case.