Suggestions for solo travel to the Himalayas

AnirbanS

Hello Everyone!

Need some suggestions around places and activities for a solo trip I have planned for myself in September. I have decided to quit my so called high-flying job and take a chance with life. It's too short to waste just like that. Hence, the idea of undertaking a solo trip to meet people, know their perspective and just "be". Of course, it has to be attuned to nature, and what better place than the Himalayas!

I am counting on this trip to be an enlightening one (not like that of Lord Buddha's though
). And perhaps to "unlearn" a lot of things I have already learnt, and fill in new experiences and knowledge.

So, please suggest, I'm open to anything. I already have a few ideas in mind, but would like to have your thoughts/suggestions.

Cheers!

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
Hello Everyone!

Need some suggestions around places and activities for a solo trip I have planned for myself in September. I have decided to quit my so called high-flying job and take a chance with life. It's too short to waste just like that. Hence, the idea of undertaking a solo trip to meet people, know their perspective and just "be". Of course, it has to be attuned to nature, and what better place than the Himalayas!

I am counting on this trip to be an enlightening one (not like that of Lord Buddha's though
). And perhaps to "unlearn" a lot of things I have already learnt, and fill in new experiences and knowledge.

So, please suggest, I'm open to anything. I already have a few ideas in mind, but would like to have your thoughts/suggestions.

Cheers!
Dear Anirban, Do not quit. You can never quit. Just take a break. Breath in some fresh cold air and come back. face the music :)
I will suggest to take up a simple trek house hike like Annapurna Circuit in Nepal. It is around 20-22 days. Almost easy moderate level hike. You will get to spend some time with yourself and meet new people. There are various blog from this treak on web. check it out.
Alternatively Ladakh season is also on. You can spend couple of weeks easily.
if you have certain place in mind do share, BCMTian can help in formulating your plan...

AnirbanS

Dear Anirban, Do not quit. You can never quit. Just take a break. Breath in some fresh cold air and come back. face the music :)
I will suggest to take up a simple trek house hike like Annapurna Circuit in Nepal. It is around 20-22 days. Almost easy moderate level hike. You will get to spend some time with yourself and meet new people. There are various blog from this treak on web. check it out.
Alternatively Ladakh season is also on. You can spend couple of weeks easily.
if you have certain place in mind do share, BCMTian can help in formulating your plan...
Thanks for your insights Ankur! Well, may be I'm hardwired differently, the corporate is not for me. I'd rather go for my own start-up. But before doing that, I'd like to take a break for half a year. Just completed Annapurna Circuit in April, so that one's out. It was an amazing experience though, considering the natural vistas as well as the meaningful conversations I had with the trekkers I met. I'm considering a backpacking trip in Himachal or Uttarakhand. However, totally open to other ideas as well. Looking forward to a few..

Prabhaker

Hi Anirban,

What you dream of doing today, I did it in Dec '99. I stopped being an employee and started creating my own path. Metaphorically, it has been a tough mountain walk all along, but the returns have been wholesome and life enriching.

I love mountains and enjoy being there the moment an opportunity arises. In fact, I have designed my current work life around them.

So, all I say -- go ahead, and take an oath never to look back, no matter what is offered to you after this decision and I believe you will have fun.

Having said that I think being in the Himachal or Uttarkhand regions post monsoon i.e. September is a great time. There are numerous options available for an individual like you who would like to go on a solo trip. And I am sure you will get numerous suggestions here. However since you mention "unlearning", let it begin now. Though you haven't asked for it, still I take it as an opportunity to give you some of my perspectives. I hope you won't mind it.

Like I have said earlier, September is certainly a great time to be in mountains, but it is also one of the most dangerous ones. It is a time of landslides and the unforeseen. Especially when the current climatic conditions are going haywire. So if you can postpone your trip at least by one month i.e to October (or later), I think you would be better off.

Further, I have no clue about your experiences of being in the mountains, except for the Annapurna Circuit trek that you mention, but with all my experience I can comfortably say that doing a solo trek is NOT THE BEST IDEA for "N" number of reasons. The biggest one according to me is -- safety. And there cannot be any compromise on that aspect.

Moreover, if your objective is to unwind and unlearn then why worry about taking the well-trodden path of any known trek? Why not just get out without any plan? Hike, take a bus in any direction where your heart takes you. Meet and make friends on the way and become a part of their group or take them along with you, and it might be a totally different experience for you.

If you plan to move towards Manali, then I can always recommend you visiting the Mountaineering Institute there and get correct information from them. If the time is right, you may be able to join some trekking groups organized by them, which might be lot basic than that organized by

But do gear up properly and NEVER compromise on safety, both yours and those around you. And mind you -- always wear well-broken shoes.

All the best.

-- Prabhaker

AnirbanS

Hi Anirban,

What you dream of doing today, I did it in Dec '99. I stopped being an employee and started creating my own path. Metaphorically, it has been a tough mountain walk all along, but the returns have been wholesome and life enriching.

I love mountains and enjoy being there the moment an opportunity arises. In fact, I have designed my current work life around them.

So, all I say -- go ahead, and take an oath never to look back, no matter what is offered to you after this decision and I believe you will have fun.

Having said that I think being in the Himachal or Uttarkhand regions post monsoon i.e. September is a great time. There are numerous options available for an individual like you who would like to go on a solo trip. And I am sure you will get numerous suggestions here. However since you mention "unlearning", let it begin now. Though you haven't asked for it, still I take it as an opportunity to give you some of my perspectives. I hope you won't mind it.

Like I have said earlier, September is certainly a great time to be in mountains, but it is also one of the most dangerous ones. It is a time of landslides and the unforeseen. Especially when the current climatic conditions are going haywire. So if you can postpone your trip at least by one month i.e to October (or later), I think you would be better off.

Further, I have no clue about your experiences of being in the mountains, except for the Annapurna Circuit trek that you mention, but with all my experience I can comfortably say that doing a solo trek is NOT THE BEST IDEA for "N" number of reasons. The biggest one according to me is -- safety. And there cannot be any compromise on that aspect.

Moreover, if your objective is to unwind and unlearn then why worry about taking the well-trodden path of any known trek? Why not just get out without any plan? Hike, take a bus in any direction where your heart takes you. Meet and make friends on the way and become a part of their group or take them along with you, and it might be a totally different experience for you.

If you plan to move towards Manali, then I can always recommend you visiting the Mountaineering Institute there and get correct information from them. If the time is right, you may be able to join some trekking groups organized by them, which might be lot basic than that organized by

But do gear up properly and NEVER compromise on safety, both yours and those around you. And mind you -- always wear well-broken shoes.

All the best.

-- Prabhaker
Thanks for your suggestions and encouraging words Prabhaker! I echo your thoughts on not looking back. Regarding solo trek, I am fairly experienced and know my limitations. So if I at all undertake one, I would make sure to stick to a safe and well trekked route. However, a spontaneous trip is something I too have in mind. Just as you have mentioned - "Hike, take a bus in any direction where your heart takes you" - loved it! Thanks again!