Suggestions for Spiti Valley in May - June 2019

CADA

Dear All,
I am planning for a family trip to spiti valley towards end of May/ start of June 2019.
I will have around 8-9 days in hand. Since I would be travelling with kids, I would like to plan for a relaxed itinerary. Since the no. Of leaves is fixed, I will not be able to extend the trip. And if the time seems short or unrealistic to cover spiti, I am willing to restrict my trip to Kinnaur only.

I would be starting from Delhi and will reach Simla by volvo. From Simla I plan to hire a taxi for the entire trip.

Requesting you to please provide a suggestive itinerary to cover the valley. Also pls suggest if I would be able to cover the entire circuit (starting from Simla and exiting from Manali side) or will I have to come back following the same route through Simla.

Thanks in Advance.

Sent from my DUK-L09 using Tapatalk

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
If you are planning to come back via Manali, then my suggestion would be to start in the second week of June. Otherwise you might be crossing Kunzum just as it opens and hence road would be in terrible condition.

You are also planning to cover Sarahan, Kalpa and Sangla or you would be concentrating mainly on Spiti?

CADA

If you are planning to come back via Manali, then my suggestion would be to start in the second week of June. Otherwise you might be crossing Kunzum just as it opens and hence road would be in terrible condition.

You are also planning to cover Sarahan, Kalpa and Sangla or you would be concentrating mainly on Spiti?
Yogesh Bhai,
June second week would be difficult as I would not have leaves then.

I would like to cover Kalpa, sarahan and chitkul as well in addition to spiti. Would that be possible or would it make the plan too stretched?
Pls help me with the suggestive itinerary.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
If you are planning to cover all 3 of these places, then the plan would be a little rushed. I would suggest starting from Shimla for Sarahan, as soon as you get off the overnight Volvo. Would that be fine or you would like to spend a night in Shimla?

CADA

If you are planning to cover all 3 of these places, then the plan would be a little rushed. I would suggest starting from Shimla for Sarahan, as soon as you get off the overnight Volvo. Would that be fine or you would like to spend a night in Shimla?
No, I do not want to visit Simla at all and would like to start directly after getting off from the volvo.

Already been to Simla and it is too crowded to be spending even a few hours there

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
In that case, you can do something like this:

Day 1: Arrive in Shimla and then take a taxi to Sarahan, night stay at Sarahan.

Day 2: Visit the Bhimakali Temple and bird sanctuary, go up to helipad to get a view of Sarahan and thereafter, head to Chitkul for the night.

Day 3: Chitkul Sightseeing (Kamru Fort, Badrinath Temple, Mohatmin Temple and walk towards the ITBP Check Post), then head to Kalpa for the night. Visit the Suicide Point and then come back to Kalpa and rest.

Day 4: You can visit the Lochawa La-Khang fort, Narayan-Nagaini Temple and thereafter head to Nako for the night stay. At Nako you can visit the monastery and the lake. Alternatively, you can travel to Tabo and stay there. In that case, try and visit the Gue Monastery en route, in order to see the monk’s mummy.

Day 5: Visit Tabo Monastery and thereafter, travel to Dhankar Monastery, followed by a short visit to Pin Valley en route to Kaza.

Day 6: You can visit Key, Kibber, Gette, Tashigang, Komic, Hikkim and Langza from Kaza.

Day 7: Kaza to Manali, long day so make sure to start early in the morning.

Day 8: Rest day in Manali, catch the evening bus to Delhi.

If possible, adding a rest day at Kalpa would help you lighten up the itinerary and make it more enjoyable.

CADA

In that case, you can do something like this:

Day 1: Arrive in Shimla and then take a taxi to Sarahan, night stay at Sarahan.

Day 2: Visit the Bhimakali Temple and bird sanctuary, go up to helipad to get a view of Sarahan and thereafter, head to Chitkul for the night.

Day 3: Chitkul Sightseeing (Kamru Fort, Badrinath Temple, Mohatmin Temple and walk towards the ITBP Check Post), then head to Kalpa for the night. Visit the Suicide Point and then come back to Kalpa and rest.

Day 4: You can visit the Lochawa La-Khang fort, Narayan-Nagaini Temple and thereafter head to Nako for the night stay. At Nako you can visit the monastery and the lake. Alternatively, you can travel to Tabo and stay there. In that case, try and visit the Gue Monastery en route, in order to see the monk’s mummy.

Day 5: Visit Tabo Monastery and thereafter, travel to Dhankar Monastery, followed by a short visit to Pin Valley en route to Kaza.

Day 6: You can visit Key, Kibber, Gette, Tashigang, Komic, Hikkim and Langza from Kaza.

Day 7: Kaza to Manali, long day so make sure to start early in the morning.

Day 8: Rest day in Manali, catch the evening bus to Delhi.

If possible, adding a rest day at Kalpa would help you lighten up the itinerary and make it more enjoyable.
Thanks Yogesh Bhai.. what about the hotels etc. Should I book in advance or search once I reach there. Pls suggest if there are any recommemded hotels? Also, any idea how much would the taxi cost for this trip? And can you suggest some good driver?
Thanks in advance.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Since you are traveling during peak season, it would be a good idea to book in advance.

The Srikhand (HPTDC) at Sarahan

Wanderer Nest at Chitkul

HPTDC Kinner Kailash or Hotel Rakpa Regency at Kalpa

Maitreya Regency Tabo

HPTDC Kaza

There is no dearth of good hotels in Manali.

gkapoor

Super User
9418085846/9817155846- Dharam Prakash Sharma- HP local person.
Contact him for taxi. He is a very experienced driver and warm gentleman. You can give my reference also.
We went to Kinnaur with him the same way- got down from volvo at 430AM and he picked us up from there and drove straight to Kalpa.
Charges usually are 3500-4000 per day for car like Innova.

Apart from hotels mentioned by YS above you can check below too-

Rakcham- Hotel Rupin River View. Rakcham is just few kms short of Chitkul and few kms ahead of Sangla. I prefer rakcham since Chiltkul gets crowded nowadays.
Kalpa- Hotel Rolling Rang. This is just adjacent to HPTDC property and its run by same person who has above hotel in Rakcham. So you can ask him for a deal of both places.