Sunday ride’s Rambling

Scorpion King

nice write up but i shall speak a few words to defend the car wallahs u just critisized. it is impossible to stick to ur lane on the twistys if u wanna go faster so u will always see cars swinging between 2 lanes.
there are careless fellows who do it with no consideration to fellow road users and then there are the considerate types like me who always check their mirrors and other traffic to judge wether to maintain speed or slow down before the curve.
an easy indicator about a drivers style is to check if the car is dented or scratched at the left also if the side rear view mirrors are folded in. if i see either of these 2 things on a car i proceed with caution.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Nav good writeup there, few questions:

1. how much did the HID setup cost?

2. What all did you do to your headlight?

3. Isn't 43kmpl too less?

nav75

Banned
Scorpion King said:
nice write up but i shall speak a few words to defend the car wallahs u just critisized. it is impossible to stick to ur lane on the twistys if u wanna go faster so u will always see cars swinging between 2 lanes.
If one is crossing over into opp side lane = one is riding beyond limits. Now how "fast" is "fast" will define how fast one want to go and still not jump into other lane. Simple rule is, if you are running into opp lane you are going too fast no doubt about that.

Scorpion King said:
there are careless fellows who do it with no consideration to fellow road users and then there are the considerate types like me who always check their mirrors and other traffic to judge wether to maintain speed or slow down before the curve.
an easy indicator about a drivers style is to check if the car is dented or scratched at the left also if the side rear view mirrors are folded in. if i see either of these 2 things on a car i proceed with caution.
How do you anticipate traffic in twisties where visiblity is poor? You can't so do you slow down? My personal exp says once one gets used to run wide trying to go faster it becomes a habbit and most of times also runs wide in blind turns.

Very simple illustration. Racing drivers are much more skilled than normal drivers, whenever they run wide trying to go faster they run off the track. Means that if one is running wide means he/she is going too fast.

Yogesh Sarkar said:
Nav good writeup there, few questions:
1. how much did the HID setup cost?

2. What all did you do to your headlight?

3. Isn't 43kmpl too less?
1 = Arpan/Arnob knows the details.
2 = Apache fairing + 35W halogen.
3 = Revs were always on the higher side of 6000rpm. Also I doubt the carb is not tuned well.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
What is the mileage you normally get from Fiero? Sorry but I am comparing it with the mileage I get from most of my rides and 43kmpl sound quite low for a 150cc motorcycle.

nav75

Banned
@Yogesh: Mileage figure depends on how optimistic/pessimist is the odometer of the bike is. I have always got mileage between 40-65 depending on the kind of riding I have done. Oflate I'm getting a bit less mileage irrespective of how I ride, so first thing that I want to do it get the carb tuned (not for mileage/perf but for optimal operation).

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
You are right about the optimistic/pessimist odometer but of late I have been noticing out on the highways 180 give better mileage than the 150s.

Scorpion King

come on that running wide is on the expressway hwere there is no tight blind turn except maybe 2 spots which are tight.
most importantly there is no oncoming traffic in your lane so one can speed up more that what one would in usual twistys.
i usually do the expressway ghat at a speed of between 40 and 90
running wide on regular ghats on a hairpin is insane
but it just reminded me of an incident when i was descending ooty on this blind right hand hairpin where i was going down.
just as i negotiated the hairpin coming right at me in my lane was michael schumacher in his big red "Volvo Bus" and he had no intention of slowing down i had no option but to let him pass me on my left as he sped up the slope.
my only thought at this point is what if they were two buses going head to head instead of my car and a bus. guaranteed catastrophy.
another thing i often wonder about is the confidence with which taxiwallas overtake heavy vehicles on blind hairpins, god knows how they do that.

okay i am getting carried away over here.