Sweating In Snow White Hemkund Shahib

rollingstone

SIMPLE JINDEGI FULL OF LOVE
IT WAS OUR PLAN - FIRST DO KEDARNATH BY HELICOPTER,THEN HEMKUND SHAHIB ON FOOT DURING FIRST WEEK OF JUNE. WISH CAME TRUE.
"वाहे गुरु जी का खालसा वाहे गुरु जी का फतेह" AFTER COMING BACK NOW I CAN SAY IT WAS TOUGH,NO DOUBT. BUT YOU SHOULD BE LUCKY ENOUGH ALSO. ZEAL IS ALL. EVERYBODY IS HAVING POWER INSIDE, BUT MANY TIME THERE IS NO OPPORTUNITY OR NOT HAVING POSITIVE ATMOSPHERE TO SHOW IT.

GOVINDGHAT TO PULNA IS 3 KM WHICH IS MOTORABLE . TREK STARTS FIRST TILL JUNGLE CHATTI AROUND 1 KM FROM PULNA . THEN BHYUDAR IT IS 4 KM FROM JUNGLE CHATTI . LASTLY GHANGHARIA IT IS 6 KM FROM BHYUDAR.

ONLY IMPORTANT INFORMATIONS AND PICTURES I WILL ATTACH -
  • STAY ONE NIGHT AT GOVIND GHAT OR JOSHIMATH OR AULI. BUT GOVINDGHAT IS BEST OPTION. IF YOU WANT TO TAKE HELISERVICE,THIS IS THE PLACE JUST BEHIND THE HOTEL BHAGAT.
  • EARLY MORNING (PREFERABLY 0830AM) YOU HAVE TO START. TAKE A Vehicle TILL PULNA (Rs.500/-).
  • IF YOU HAVE LUGGAGES EITHER YOU HAVE TO TAKE PORTER TO CARRY OR PONY OR KEEP LUGGAGES IN LUGGAGE ROOM OF HOTEL AT GOVINDGHAT.
  • REGARDING PORTER – SO MANY CASES OF THEFT ENROUTE,TOTAL MISSING OR PART OF LUGGAGES LOST. WALKING ALONG WITH THEM IS VERY DIFFICULT. WE CAUGHT ONE LUGGAGE THIEF RED HANDED WHILE TAKING OUT SOME STUFFS EN-ROUTE. BEST IS THE PONY - ONE OF THE MEMBER SHOULD RIDE IN ROTATION ALONG WITH THE LUGGAGES.
  • ALL THIS ARRANGEMENT YOU HAVE TO DO IN PULNA.UP & DOWN PORTER Rs.5000/- WITH THREE MEDIUM LUGGAGES.YOU HAVE TO TAKE PHOTOGRAPH OF THE PORTER WITH AUTHORISED ID CARD.
001.jpg

002.JPG

• FIRST HALT JUNGLE CHATTI FOR TEA OR SOME SNACKS FOR ENRUTE.WALKING STICK IS VERY USEFUL AND MUST.
  • RIVER LAKHSMAN-GANGA IS FLOWING ALONG WITH US.
017a.JPG

003.JPG

• NEXT STOP IS BHYUDAR. LOVELY MIXED FRUIT CHAT WITH LEMON WATER(SEALED KINLEY) WORTH TO HAVE IN "JANNAT".YOU CAN HAVE YOUR LUNCH ALSO. LAST PROPER MEAL STOP BEFORE GHANGHARIA. THEN PHOTO STOP ON BRIDGE.
004.jpg

006a.JPG

005.jpg

006.jpg

• REAL TOUGH , STEEP TREK FROM HERE. EXHAUSTING,SOMETIMES MIND WAS READY TO SAY “NO NO”,BUT HEART IMMEDIATELY SAID “YES, YES....... AUR THORA”.
  • ENJOYING FLOWERS,COLD BREEZ,SNOW CAP MOUNTAIN,TOUGH TREK, BREATHLESSNESS , SINGING BIRD- ULTIMATELY GHANGHARIA HELIPAD HAD COME. GREAT RELIEF!!!
009.jpg

010.jpg

008.JPG

• HOTEL DESTINATION AT GHANGHARIA IS JUST 1 KM FROM HERE. BUT THAT TIME WE REALISED THAT 1 KM = 10 KM.AGAIN STEEP TREK. WE TOOK 7 hrs TO REACH FROM PULNA AFTER ENOUGH MANDATORT HALTS.
  • TWO NIGHTS STAY IS MUST FOR HEMKUND SHAHIB ONLY, 3 NIGHTS IF YOU ADD VALLEY OF FLOWERS (JUNE IS NOT THE TIME,JULY-AUGUST IS THE BEST TIME).
  • "DESHI OIL" MASSAGE AFTER LONG TREK WILL GIVE YOU IMMENSE POWER FOR NEXT DAYS TREK . ALL HOTELS ARE MEDIUM CLASS AND HAVING FACILITY OF OIL MASSAGE. I FELT KUBBER ANNEX IS THE BEST. BUT YOU HAVE TO GIVE THEM PRESSURE FOR ALL FACILITIES TO ENJOY.
  • "HOT GULAM JAMUN" AND "MALAI MILK" - THAT IS ALSO FROM ROADSIDE SHOP AFTER DINNER WAS MIND BLOWING.
014.jpg

015.jpg

• AFTER REACHING HOTEL FIRST YOU HAVE TO DECIDE WHETHER YOU WILL TREK NEXT DAY ON FOOT OR TAKE PONY AND FIX RATE WITH THE PONNY OWNER.
  • EARLY MORNING ( PREFERABLY 7AM ) THEY WILL COME TO YOUR HOTEL.
  • Rs.5000/- UP & DOWN TILL GURUDWARA BASE POINT.FROM THERE YOU HAVE TO WALK OR THROUGH STAIRS (ALMOST 70 degree STEEP).
  • FOR KIDS BEST IS “PITHUU” – Rs.5000-6000/- UP & DOWN . THEY WILL GO TILL GURUDWARA COMPLEX.
019.jpg

• IT IS 6 KM , FROM GHANGHARIA TO HEMKUND SHAHIB. BUT I AM TELLING IT SEEMS 60KM.
  • AFTER 2 hrs OF TREEKING WE ALL THREE TOOK PONY, OTHERWISE WE COULD NOT REACH.
  • WHILE COMING DOWN WE CAME WALKING - THAT ALSO WAS LIFE TIME EXPERIENCES!!

018.JPG

• THIS SPOT IS AFTER FEW METRES FROM GHANGHARIA. WATER FALL IN FRONT IS THE BIFURCATION POINT OF VALLEY OF FLOWERS (LEFT) & HEMKUND SHAHIB(STRAIGHT).
  • WHEN WE REACH BASE OF HEMKUND SHAHIB IT IS ALMOST 12PM. 2PM GURUDWARA WILL CLOSE AND HUGE GIGANTIC MOUNTAIN IN FRONT . WE HAVE TO REACH THE PEAK. YES !! THAT PEAK.......
024.jpg

• TRACK IS THERE AND ALSO STAIRS WHICH IS 70 degree STEEP. TRACK WAS FULL OF CROWD COMING DOWN. BOTH SIDE OF THE TRACK WAS GUARDED BY ICE WALL,IN BETWEEN THE TRACK 4 ft WIDTH .
20190602_143835.jpg

019a.jpg

• BY GURUJI'S GRACE WE REACHED GURUDWARA COMPLEX AT 0115PM USING THE STAIRS. I FELT THAT MY HEART BEAT HAD TRAVELLED UPTO MY THROAT. BUT ZEAL & WILL WAS IMPORTANT.
  • EXCELLENT DARSHAN,HAD PRASAD,PHOTO SHOOT,TOTALLY DIFFERENT UNSEEN LANDSCAPE-NEVER SEEN SUCH ATMOSPHERE AROUND GURUDWARA IN ANY PHOTOES.
020.JPG

023.JPG

022.JPG

021.JPG

• 2PM- STARTED TO GO DOWN THROUGH TRACK.VERY SLIPPERY,BUT NO HURRY. ECSTATIC !!
    027.jpg
  • FIRST TIME I HAD SEEN "HUMAN TRAFFIC JAM" IN HILLY TERRAIN WHILE COMING DOWN AS THERE WAS LESS SPACE,SLIPPERY STONES AND SO MANY TURNS.
028.jpg

• AFTER REACHING THE BASE WE HAD OUR LATE LUNCH WITH "ALOO PARATHA" & "MAGGY"- FRESH/HOT/TASTY.
  • THEN STARTED TO GO DOWN. IT WAS EASY,BUT TIME WAS LESS TO REACH GHANGHARIA BEFORE DARKNESS.NO STREET LIGHT,IN MOUNTAIN JUNGLE WITH FEW GROUPS , ONLY TORCH & MOBILE LIGHT - IT WAS EXCITING,AT THE SAME TIME HORRIFYING.IT WAS A LUXARY TO TAKE REST IN SUCH A DARKNESS .
  • AROUND 0715PM WE WERE AT OUR HOTEL ROOM - TOTAL TIME TAKEN :8AM - 0715 PM.
  • FOR A CHANGE OF TASTE, THERE ARE FEW GOOD CLEAN RESTAURANTS AT GHANGHARIA.BELOW IS ONE OF THEM-
017.jpg

016.jpg

• NEXT DAY WE GOT DOWN TO PULNA AND TOOK ONLY 5 hrs(10AM-3PM). SAME PORTER WAS READY IN TIME FROM GHANGHARIA HOTEL .VEHICLE WAS THERE IN PULNA WHICH WAS BOOKED THROUGH MOBILE (POST-PAID BSNL,POST-PAID AIRTEL) FROM GHANGHARIA 01 DAY PRIOR.
  • FROM PULNA WE WENT TO BADRINATH AND REACHED AROUND 0630PM.OUR LAST DESTINATION.
  • THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE. JAI HIND...….

Attachments

citylife

Very nice description and excellent pictures.
When I went there in July of 1979, there was no road from Govindghat to Pulna and hardly any tourist. Corrugated steel sheets were being carried for construction at Hemkunt sahib ji. Only Gudrawara and GMVN TRH at Govind-dham were there to stay overnight. No hotel/dhaba.
Now, even i though pass through Govindghat twice a year on way to Badrinath, but just looking at the number of vehicles parked on highway and the crowds, I skip the trek with heavy heart. May be this year!

Last edited:

rollingstone

SIMPLE JINDEGI FULL OF LOVE
Very nice description and excellent pictures.
When I went there in July of 1979, there was no road from Govindghat to Pulna and hardly any tourist. Corrugated steel sheets were being carried for construction at Hemkunt sahib ji. Only Gudrawara and GMVN TRH at Govind-dham were there to stay overnight. No hotel/dhaba.
Now, even i though pass through Govindghat twice a year on way to Badrinath, but just looking at the number of vehicles parked on highway and the crowds, I skip the trek with heavy heart. May be this year!
Thanks a lot. After this Pandemic,it is better to avoid any travel tour this year.We did the above tour in May-June 2019.

AR Ardent Rambler

Thank you very much Rollingstone for beautiful captures. Your travel guide and tips for porters are very useful and practical for first timers. Its in my bucket list. Don't know when we can to do Hemkund Darshan and VOF trek.