Tamil Nadu Road Conditions

Kiran Mathew

Dear Sir,

We are planning to start from our home (in Kochi) by 10 pm to reach Kanchipuram by 9 next morning. We'll be taking a 15 minute break after every two hours of driving to avoid driver and vehicle fatigue. Apart from a 12 am stop at Kanjikode Toll (in Kerala) the stops planned at night are (1) near Perundurai Police Station (2.15 am) and by Thoppur Police Station (4:30 am). We would like to know whether the road through Tamil Nadu is safe for night travel? Last Christmas we had done a night trip to Bangalore, which it went smoothly by God's grace.

If Vedanthangal opens for visitors by December end, our plan is to take the Salem - Uludurpet road and drive through GST to reach the sanctuary by 6 am and by 9 am to proceed to Kanchipuram. I hear that the Salem - Ulundurpet road has deteriorated over the years. Do you know whether it is safe for night travel?

Another advice we would like to have from you is about the road from Karaikudi to Rameswaram which we will be covering between 1 pm and 5 pm.

And finally, we would be grateful for your suggestions on how to negotiate/ bypass the congestion in Madurai while returning home from Rameswaram via Theni.

Thanks,

kiran

ISO

Rentoy I travelled extensively in TN. Madurai - Kodaikanal - Rameshwaram - Kanyakumari- Munnar(TN) side. All roads are are fantastic even better than Karnataka

Roads through TN are mostly safe. Still as a precaution, request you to stop near well lit NHAI Tolls, well lit petrol pumps and crack open windows for ventilation while taking short naps. Normally towns of TN become very much active from 4:30 AM onwards. I meant the tea stalls, tiffin centers etc., So plan accordingly.

IMPORTANT :
Being election time this month (date of election April 18th 2019) be prepared for documents check, vehicle checking by TN police especially during mid night hours. Don't carry cash more than say 20000 at any given time. Cards are accepted widely in TN petrol pumps, hotels, restaurants.