The Art of survival

darth_lucifer

Rides R Us
Yeah every traveler/explorer who goes to the extremes needs to know this.Lets dig out information about hypothermia,dehydration,frost bites,sun burns,ams and lets discuss how to deal with them.

A traveler might face challenges such as snowstorms,snakebites,drowned colleagues and avalanches anything that can kill him and his colleagues.

Lets also discuss scenarios like what to do if your fancy GPS runs out of power/goes bonkers in middle of desert and where there is no road.How will you navigate yourself out.

How to spot watering holes??...........purifying available water............. we will discuss it all.

Infact anything that might help a extreme traveler live more.
How do you "Live off the land".

Last edited:

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Good topic, I have an advice for every one and this is something I follow religiously.

Never become too dependent on your motorcycle/car/bike, mobile phone, GPS and travel partners.

Study the route you are about to undertake and memorize it. When things go wrong, they go wrong in a pack i.e. your bike would give you problem when you are away from the civilization and there is no mobile phone network and your travel partner is miles away from you!

This is when experience and patience counts the most; if you loose your temper, you will start overlooking minor details that can make a difference. Also never act hastily, if you are stuck in a town due to landslides/floods/avalanche etc. relax and enjoy the moment. Don’t waste your energy and resources on attempting some thing stupid.

Will post more later.

darth_lucifer

Rides R Us
Hypothermia

COMPILED FROM MORE THAN TWO INTERNET SOURCES:

Cause :Cold
Fatal:Yes

Definition:Hypothermia is a condition in which an organism's temperature drops below that required for normal metabolism and bodily functions

Hypothermia can kill in only 30 minutes. Cold temperature, but also strong wind causes the body to rapidly lose heat. You start to shiver in order to maintain body heat from the rapid muscular shaking.

If your body temperature drops to 35C/95F, you'll get dizzy and disoriented. Then the shivering stops. The body now maintains temperature only around the important organs; heart, brain and lungs by shutting down blood circulation to the arms and legs.

At 30C/86F, your pulse is weak and slow. Your blood vessels widen. Now, you feel hot and want to remove your clothes, finally slipping into unconsciousness. At 24C/75F your heartbeat stops. How fast you drop temperature will determine how rapidly you´ll perish. 30 minutes is more than enough!

Symptoms:

* Low body temperature
* Abnormally low body temperature
* Drowsiness
* Slow heartbeat
* Slow breathing
* Shivering
* Weakness
* Drowsiness
* Confusion
* Purple toes
* Purple fingers

Initial Signs (Mild Hypothermia)
Bouts of shivering
Grogginess and muddled thinking
Breathing and pulse are normal

Danger Signs of Worsening Hypothermia
(Moderate Hypothermia)
Violent shivering or shivering stops
Inability to think and pay attention
Slow, shallow breathing
Slow, weak pulse

Signs of Severe Hypothermia
Shivering has stopped
Unconsciousness
Little or no breathing
Weak, irregular or non-existent pulse

Prevention:

1. Stay dry. If you do get wet, change immediately into dry clothes.Staying wet increases your chances of succumbing to hypothermia 25 times...Remember people from Titanic were dead within 4-5 minutes of being in water of atlantic at 4 degrees.They didnt drown but froze to death

2. Do not exhaust yourself in cold weather. Avoid perspiring.

3. Dress in wool and synthetic layers. Avoid cotton because it takes a long time to dry. Adjust clothing for overcooling, overheating, perspiration,and external moisture.

4. Bring extra clothing (including wood or synthetic hat and socks) so you are prepared for the worst possible weather conditions.

5. Stay hydrated. Drink at least 3 to 4 liters of fluid daily. During extreme exercise, drink more (5 to 6 liters per day).
* Ingesting snow is an inefficient way to replace water, as it worsens hypothermia. At night, fill a container with at least one quart of water,and sleep with it to keep it from freezing.

6. Do not skip meals; you need food (fuel) for your body to generate heat. Do not consume alcoholic beverages; alcohol impairs your body''s ability to remain warm.

7. Seek shelter in times of extreme cold and high winds.

8. Don''t sit on cold rocks, metal, snow or ice without insulation beneath you. Insulate yourself from the ground with a pad, backpack, log, or tree limb.

9.Cover your head with warm caps to avoid heat loss

Initial Treatment:

For mild to moderate hypothermia:

1.Drink hot(luke-warm) drinks, followed by candy or other high-sugar foods

2.Increase exercise, if possible

3.Get into a pre-warmed sleeping bag or blankets

4.Full blown Hypothermia will not be improved by additional clothing since clothing doesn’t generate heat. In difficult climbing situations, you need to put hot water bottles in your armpits, to your crotch and/or stomach.

5.As a last resort, strip and get into a sleeping bag - together with another undressed person, to warm up by the others body heat (yeah, yeah - keep your dirty imagination to yourself!).

Last edited:

Sunilg

hibernated traveler
excellent thread...

I would recommend watching "I Shouldn't Be Alive" series on Discovery Channel. An amazing acount of hair-raising survival stories in survivors' own words, what they actually did at that time, those small-small things that made the actual difference, far better than some 40-odd uncle sitting in his AC room and giving gyan.

darth_lucifer

Rides R Us
Snake bites compiled info

Compiled from various internet sources:

IDENTIFYING VENOMOUS SNAKES:

Spotting a poisonous snake is important in preventing and treating snakebites
There are no infallible rules for expedient identification of poisonous snakes in the field, because the guidelines all require close observation or manipulation of the snake's body.
The best strategy is to leave all snakes alone if you are no expert.

Poisonous snakes in India:(pics coming up...photobucket site down for maintainance)
1]cobra

2]Krait

3]Russel Viper

4]Saw-Scaled Viper

There are two types of toxins in snake venoms:

* Hemotoxin (blood toxin) : Hemotoxic venom attacks the circulatory system and muscle tissue causing excessive scarring, gangrene, and sometimes leads to amputation of the affected area. This venom basically destroys tissue and blood cells. In addition to killing the prey, part of the function of a hemotoxic venom for some animals is to aid digestion. The venom breaks down protein in the region of the bite, making prey easier to digest.ex : Vipers

* Neurotoxin (nerve toxin) : Neurotoxic venom attacks the victim's central nervous system and usually result in heart failure and/or breathing difficulties or even total respiratory paralysis. eg: Cobras, Kraits, Coral snakes.

Some snakes have venom that is both hemotoxic and neurotoxic.

Golden question:
Will I survive a bite from poisonous snakebite

Answer is there is a very high probability you will.More on this later

Advice on avoiding bites:

0]GOLDEN RULE:NEVER CORNER A SNAKE

1] never aggravate a dangerous animal in any way or try and provoke it into an attack.

2] do not try to capture a snake unless you are an experienced herpetologist. Never get influenced by ease with which steve Irwin captured reptiles on his show.He was a super-expert.

3] when out walking in snake zones, look down and at the the areas immediately either side of where you will be treading.
If you wish to travel at night then a torch is essential for your safety as many of these beasts are nocturnal hunters.

4] wear substantial socks and boots when wild walking.

5] do not lift up large stones or fallen vegetative matter unless absolutely necessary and if you must, proceed with extreme caution. These are favoured places for animals of the biting persuasion.

6] if a snake is within striking distance and you are lucky enough to notice it - don't panic! Stay absolutely still. These animals are very quick to strike and may strike in defence if you make a sudden movement. Move back veeery sloooowly.

DRY BITES

Lets understand what are dry bites.

Since the act of delivering venom is completely voluntary, all venomous snakes are capable of biting without injecting venom into their victim. Such snakes will often deliver such a "dry bite" (about 50% of the time)rather than waste their venom on a creature too large for them to eat. Some dry bites may also be the result of imprecise timing on the snake's part, as venom may be prematurely released before the fangs have penetrated the victim’s flesh.

More coming up in this post.................................

Last edited:

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Snake bites compiled info

Useful info Amit.
I have encountered snakes in only 2 areas so far - Kasol and Kalpa. One I put to sleep; didn't wait to ask which kind of bite it had in mind for us!
The other one (at Kalpa) was not bothering us so it lived.

_________________________:p

Meanwhile, I couldn't stop smiling about snakes having such problems too!
may be prematurely released before the fangs have penetrated ...

Last edited:

akshay4384

THE LONE RIDER
looks like i need to learn this as reside at my home
every 2nd or third day in monsoons and summers i come across Kraits at my place:D
on some occasions inside too:D

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Re: Snake bites compiled info

Darth_lucifer good info

Useful info Amit.
I have encountered snakes in only 2 areas so far - Kasol and Kalpa. One I put to sleep; didn't wait to ask which kind of bite it had in mind for us!
The other one (at Kalpa) was not bothering us so it lived.
The only time I have encountered one was in Manali at their "forest". It was a black colored snake hiding in its hole, so didnt bother it too much.

hacket

Old school
I live in a snake infested city:)...luckily we have this guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_Shyam
got several oppturnity to meet him.What he says(can't remember much actually):

1)snakes cant see,they just feel/taste what's around them.
2)If you think,there is a snake around,tap your foot hard to scare them away(they can sense shock waves?),sort of.
3)wear thick cloths like denim/jeans.

Last edited:

darth_lucifer

Rides R Us
Nice article abt snake_shyam hacket

HACKET:True snakes cant hear but they can see to some extent.They use vibrations from the ground too.
They stick out their tongues quite often to percieve the heat

So the snake charmer we see,snake cant hear the beeen (the instrument he plays),but he can see the circular motion of the been that the charmer cleverly does and he raises his hood and moves it with the motion of hood.Also the snake charmer taps his foot while playing beeen.

One more thing is if you see a snake move away slowly.Tapping foot very hard can make it aggressive.And snake strikes the thing which it feels threatening.So if you tap a stick.Snake might strike a stick instead of your leg.

Never corner a snake.It can become very aggresive by that.

Some snakes are territorial.So while walking in jungle trails,walk slowly.U might have stepped close to a snakes nest which it would try to protect.SOME SNAKES ARE TERRITORIAL.

Last edited: