The Black & White thread

iamsomnath

Where is the remote?
To illustrate. Two Varanasi images.
In this images had I shot this in colour, the different colour of dresses etc. would have distracted from the stark reality of the "economy of religion". So had to wait when the thali would go up and both the "giving" and "accepting" hands would be in clear contrast.

On the other hand , different hues are the strength of this one . Had I decided to shoot this in BW probably I would have composed much tighter , allowing only the pigeons

Last edited:

hensil

Guru
A question for all those who've posted here. Did you visualize your picture to be in B/W before shooting or was it just the PP that looked better in monochrome for a particular photograph and it eventually resulted in a B/W picture?
Hi,
For this picture I visualized it from the onset. Its an old broken fort and had to be in b&w.
However, this is not the case all the time. Sometimes I shoot without thinking of b&w and then while post processing if it does yield get good results I'll try b&w.
Usually, pictures with muted colors get b&w treatment.
Henry

hensil

Guru
Very good question. I try to "see" in BW while shooting such. You look for different things like tonal contrast etc , while shooting in colour you tend to look for different sets. I wish we had a viewfinder that would let us see in monochrome, in a cheaper camera than Leica-monochrome that is ;-). With a bit of practice shooting for BW becomes much easier.
Regards
Somnath
Dada,
In Live View with b&w filter applied in the camera will show you a b&w preview in the LCD.
Henry

hensil

Guru
In this images had I shot this in colour, the different colour of dresses etc. would have distracted from the stark reality of the "economy of religion". So had to wait when the thali would go up and both the "giving" and "accepting" hands would be in clear contrast.

On the other hand , different hues are the strength of this one . Had I decided to shoot this in colour probably I would have composed much tighter , allowing only the pigeons

Lovely visualization and explanation. Thanks.
Henry

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
A question for all those who've posted here. Did you visualize your picture to be in B/W before shooting or was it just the PP that looked better in monochrome for a particular photograph and it eventually resulted in a B/W picture?
Nishchaya, I did not visualize this image in BW before clicking. I planned it to be in colors actually. But somehow contrast in background of colored image was unappealing. Shallow contrast in the image made it look dull/flat. Also I shot this through a thick window glass so I had very details/contrast to recover.
I am talking about the endless row of building at back.
Here is a colored version of similar image but a different composition. Here contrast in background doesn't matter much so colored version works well for me. (Notice the buildings)

5_7_OFC_750_7385.jpg

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
On the other hand , different hues are the strength of this one . Had I decided to shoot this in colour probably I would have composed much tighter , allowing only the pigeons
Dada, I would like to tag along to Banaras, if you go again. Drop me a line in case you plan to go....

hensil

Guru
This b&w was an after thought. The snow and the fog made the subject dull and the colors were muted. Hence the b&w.
I don't have the colored version at the moment to post it, so that it can be compared.

_HDS2045.jpg

This one is different composition. I left it in color due to the frame with trees around.

_HDS2045.jpg
_HDS2055.jpg

Henry