The Black & White thread

iamsomnath

Where is the remote?

iamsomnath

Where is the remote?
Dada, I would like to tag along to Banaras, if you go again. Drop me a line in case you plan to go....
I keep on going there. I avoid mad-rush holidays. Whenever you come to India just let me know in advance and we will go together , hopefully with some other BCMT friends :)

hensil

Guru
Yes , but I almost never use the live view and manage to forget about it all the time :-D
Dada,
Neither do I, unless shooting video.
But some times to get candid or when you want to shoot from the hips (which I did frequently during my last month Georgia trip) it's helpful.
Henry

nishchaya

Dreamer
Henry mentioned "muted colors" (I like the term :) ) are obvious candidates for B/W and Somnath provided very nice examples of "visualizing" it before hand since the surrounding colors could create distractions for the subject. Ankur mentioned playing around with PP and realizing that since the contrast was unappealing, B/W made more sense.
So another question for all of you : Since portraiture is an obvious candidate for B/W work, what are your personal prefrences w.r.t portraiture? Mind you, I am talking about tight portraits, not environmental ones.

hensil

Guru
Henry mentioned "muted colors" (I like the term :) ) are obvious candidates for B/W and Somnath provided very nice examples of "visualizing" it before hand since the surrounding colors could create distractions for the subject. Ankur mentioned playing around with PP and realizing that since the contrast was unappealing, B/W made more sense.
So another question for all of you : Since portraiture is an obvious candidate for B/W work, what are your personal prefrences w.r.t portraiture? Mind you, I am talking about tight portraits, not environmental ones.
Nischaya,
It depends on the portraits.
I would not make a beautiful face with smooth skins go black & white. There are exception, like you can make a face glow in b&w hiding all the blemishes.
On the other hand b&w with extra contrast can bring out the grittiness in a face.
Here an example of enhancing the grittiness.

Mussaffa Rocks_1-8213.jpg

Henry