The Clifftop Cottage, Palchan. Manali

Discussion in 'Hotels and Guest Houses in Himachal Pradesh' started by SJM1214, Dec 5, 2017.

1. SJM1214

SJM1214 Well-Known Member

Review after my October 2016 Visit.

During my October Leh trip, we planned one night stay at Manali. I was familiar with Manali so we planned out night stay somewhere higher than Manali en route Rohtang. We were looking for some property at Solang and we came to know about The clifftop cottage at Palchan, 12 Km from Manali.

I immediately got in touch with Kapil Thakur & booked it for one night stay. We got immediate confirmation from Kapil Thakur (Owner of The Clifftop Cottage)

We were travelling to Manali by car and wanted to do river rafting in Kullu but we also had to get SDM permits to cross Rohtang. We told this to Kapil & he just told us..."aap gadi ke docs bhej do..Baki sab Mai dekh lunga"..
    And within two days, I got a what's app message with SDM permit.

We reached Manali & called up Kapil. We told him that we"ll be at Palchan post lunch.

Enroute Palchan we stuck in Traffic jam. This cottage was just above the hill, We can see that but we were stuck in jam. I got out and climbed that little hill and met Cottage caretaker. He welcomed us with a big smile & told us to park our car there and come. He helped us with luggage.

We checked in. It was amazing. The Clifftop cottage is kind of homestay where you can rent the entire cottage with kitchen which has total 5 amazing rooms with Balcony with amazing views!!! Carpeted floor...clean toilets...Amazing drawing room ... running hot water...

We were given a large attic room with three beds and the amazing balcony. Caretaker immediately came with hot tea. After that tea, we forget all our irritation of 4-hour long traffic jam...

Out package was including dinner which was by default veg. We called up Kapil & said..."hame chicken khana hai'...
    He said" care taker Ko bol do...ho jayega"

It was amazing to meet him after all the calls and what's app messaging. Kapil Thakur owner of Clifftop Cottage is an amazing person, who knows everything about Manali and tourism. I personally spent half hour talking with him...

Overall...if you want to spend some nice time with your friends and family away from hustle and bustle of Manali town, this is the best option. Stay here, spend the half day at Solang valley, spend a half day at Rohtang and than spend rest of your days here at the cottage and enjoy mountains. Wake up late...walk around in lawn...enjoy sunlight...talk with locals...talk with Kapil...have some booze and sleep...a perfect place to spend peaceful time...

zmac, jay1973pune, asheshr and 3 others like this.
  2. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

Any photos of the Clifftop Cottage?

Btw, this is a lovely review.

3. SJM1214

Review after my My 2017 Visit.

The Clifftop cottage, Palchan was my night stay during my Leh trip during OCT2016.

We loved this place, amazing location, great hospitality, well-maintained property and overall Owner Kapil's friendly and co-operative nature make you feel like you are at your own home in Himachal Pradesh...

I was thinking to Visit again with my family. I called up Kapil during Feb 2017 and finalized the plan for May 2017. As this was wife's first visit to Manali, we decided to spend two days at Manali to cover local sites and then move to Palchan.

Kapil took care of our hotel booking.He even suggested one nice hotel near Mall road.

From the day we reached Manali. Kapil was in constant touch with us. We finished our local site seeing & checked out of our Manali based hotel and started for Gualaba.

Our plan was to visit Gulaba and than check in to The clifftop cottage!!

During our drive to Gulaba, I show The clifftop cottage to my wife and told her "we are going to stay here"....and she was like "wow...really??"..

We reached cottage and we were given my favourite attic room.Wife loved that. She loved this place. drawing room, front yard, and the views.

After getting fresh we seat and front yard of the cottage and started discussing when we"ll come here with entire family.
    We spent our most of the time seating in the front yard, talking with two caretakers.

We Had a very brief talk with Kapil, even Kapil's brother and Father gave use courtesy visit. Kapil's father took us all the way to Solang valley by his car...Thanks, Uncle...

Clifftop Cottage now has a in-house cook, and serve excellent food. Two assistants are always on their toe to help us.Overall its amazing place to stay

Our next stay at this place will be long!!!

JourneyGuy, zmac, jay1973pune and 3 others like this.
  4. SJM1214

Yup! Posting many photos.

Thanks Yogesh!!!

zmac, mahimar, BenHur and 1 other person like this.
  5. SJM1214

Photographs of The Clifftop Cottage (External).

WWELCO.jpg

To reach The Clifftop Cottage, one needs to climb a small (very small) slope (with steps).
    Welcome to The Clifftop Cottage.

CC1.jpg
    Front View of CC.

CC2.jpg
    The Clifftop Cottage with Solang valley, my wife and kid.O:)

CC3.jpg
    A closeup of the Front entrance.

zmac, mahimar, BenHur and 2 others like this.
  6. SJM1214

Views from The Clifftop Cottage.

front view.JPG
    The front view from Clifftop Cottage, that goes to Manali.

LEFT.JPG
    Left side view from The Clifftop Cottage. That's Rohtang Pass for you. One can see tiny vehicles approaching Rohtang.

Right.JPG
    Right side View from The Clifftop Cottage. That's Solnag Valley for you.

DINING.jpg
    This the place, from where one can have all the views.

BALCONY.jpg
    Balcony of the Attic room.

7. SJM1214

Photographs of The Clifftop Cottage(Internal). Room and Drawing room.

DR1.jpg Drawing room at the Clifftop Cottage. They have a nice corner with a 6 seat dining table (don't have a pic of the dining area.) They also serve food in the room.

DR2.jpg
    All these trophies belong to Kapil Thakur. Kapil used to be captain of "Indian skiing team". He Represented India in many skiing competition all over the world.

ROOM1.jpg
    My Favorite attic room at The Clifftop Cottage.

ROOM3.jpg
    Third bed in the Attic room. I am 6.1 ft and it was comfortable for me.

ROOM2.jpg
    The attic room has a LED TV(with TATA sky). Who needs TV at this place? we didn't even put it on.

ROOM4.jpg
    Right side window. Just seat here when it's too cold outside.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  8. SJM1214

What did we do at The Clifftop Cottage for two days?

Actually nothing!.
    We visited Gulalba, Solang Valley & Kothi village & then spent two days at Clifftop Cottage just enjoying nature.

1.jpg
    My 2.5 daughter loved to play on the lawn.

2.jpg
    Wife was always busy with selfies.

& me??

3.jpg
    The Himalayas and Old Monk, My all time Favorite Cocktail.

some more images of our activities at The Clifftop Cottage.

4.jpg
    Old Monk was always there...

fly2.jpg
    Some Maggy time.

FLy1.jpg
    Mandatory Family Photo.

fly4.jpg
    Family Photo with Kapil Thakur (Owner of The clifftop Cottage.).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    JourneyGuy, zmac, mahimar and 4 others like this.
  9. SJM1214

JourneyGuy, zmac, mahimar and 3 others like this.
  10. SJM1214

Dislikes of The Clifftop Cottage.

Personally, I am in love with this place, & I "ll keep going to The clifftop cottage again and again. Here are some dislikes (not actually dislikes).

1. The clifftop cottage doesn't have a dedicated parking area for cars. We parked our car on road to Rohtang. However, there is a nice corner to park three cars on road just opposite of The clifftop Cottage. Vehicles are safe there.
    2. You need a dedicated vehicle to roam around in Palchan or Solang Valley. If you are ok with walking, its fine. A rented Car, Manali to Palchan costs 1300/-(May 2017).
    3. I think Kothi has a wine shop, not sure about Palchan. If you are specific about your liquor, don't forget to buy it from Manali.
    4. If you are in love with mountains, If you want to spend some time with nature, this is the perfect place. If you like to spend time in hustle and bustle of Manali, the clifftop cottage is not ideal place as its 12 km far from Manali town.
    Contact Details of The Clifftop Cottage.

Name: The Clifftop Cottage.
    Owner Name: Kapil Thakur
    Address: The Clifftop cottage.
    VPO: Palchan, Manali- Leh Road.
    Tehsil:Manali. Dist: Kullu.
    Palchan.175103 HP.
    Phone no. : 9459960282
    Email id : [email protected]

JourneyGuy, zmac, jay1973pune and 4 others like this.