The Del'hi'cious Fusion - A Rail-log

Discussion in 'Travelogues' started by koolharry, Feb 22, 2010.

1. koolharry

koolharry Rail and Road...

Destination: National Rail Museum, New Delhi
    Why: Annual Convention for Rail Enthusiasts
    How: By train, ofcourse
    When: 04th February

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Route 1: Chennai - Bangalore
    Train: 2007 Chennai - Mysore Shatabdi
    Class: CC
    Distance: 362 kms
    Time on the move: 4 hours 44 minutes
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

The early morning of February 04, 2010 found me excited, though bleary eyed, at Chennai Central. Excitement about upcoming rail journey of over 6500 kms, by 7 different trains and 6 different classes, kept me restless the whole night.

I was to attend the annual convention for Rail Enthusiast at Delhi. What better place than to have the convention at the capital of Country and the Mecca of Indian Railways, the National Rail Museum. Leave was a problem, but somehow squeezed out four days off the work.

I quickly found my window seat in AC Chair-Car of the newly arrived LHB rake of Chennai - Mysore Shatabdi Express. With its oversized window, it offered so much to see. A WAM-4 class locomotive is ready to haul the Shatabdi upto Bangalore and from there an diesel locomotive would take charge as the line between Bangalore and Mysore is a single, non-electrified line.

The starter turned Amber at 06:00 hrs, but something kept the guard busy, and the clearance wasn't given until 06:06 hrs. After clearing the innumerable points and mandatory speed restrictions, it was time to break all hells loose! The 35 years old wammie showed what it is capable of, as she tore through the western suburbs, with the glorious twin tones horns blowing away the onlookers. The stunned looks of everyone in the passing station, showed it all. I think, the loco pilot wasn't pleased with the disgraceful start and wanted to make amends.

01-2007-jtj.jpg
    2007 Chennai Central - Mysore Shatabdi Express negatiating the massive curve at Jolarpettai. Picture taken by Mobile Phone

DSC_0002.jpg

04_onboard_2007.JPG
    The posh interiors and the extra large windows of the LHB rake

Stations passed in flash and the only time the train slowed down was when it crossed the major stations like Arakkonam, Jolarpet and Bangarapet. Being the first train out of Chennai on the Bangalore line, the train naturally have the full clearance through the entire route. The non stop run continued upto whitefield, the outskirts of Bangalore, where we were put on wait for around 5 minutes. It was then all a slow trundle into the city and reached Bangalore City Junction bang on time at 10:50 hours. The wammie quickly gave way to it's diesel partner to take the train upto Mysore.

DSC_0005.jpg
    The train almost emptied out and a fresh group of people went on board from Bangalore. It looks like there are very few passengers go to Mysore from Chennai.

05-wdp4-20005.JPG
    Krishnarajapuram shed based WDP-4 $20005 takes charge of the Shatabdi for its onward journey from Bangalore to Mysore

DSC_0006.jpg
    This is just to show the difference in built of a LHB coach from the standard coaches manufactured by Integrated Coach Factory (ICF), Chennai
    LHB coaches are manufactured at the workshop in Kapurthala

DSC_0013.jpg
    The assorted coaches of Bangalore Rajdhani. Not really a great way to treat the king!

Legends:
    MPS - Maximum Permissible Speed
    KSK - Karnataka Sampark Kranthi
    WDM / WDP - Class of Broad Guage Diesel Locomotive
    WAM / WAP - Class of Broad Guage Electric Locomotive
    LHB - Railway coaches based on German Design - Linke Hoffman Busch

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
    Gunasegar Mani likes this.
  2. rohankapoor

rohankapoor LED there be Light

This is going to be a really different doze.
    Absolutely love traveling in trains be it any class.

I am hooked for more.
    PS: pardon me if its silly, but whats MPS? Don't think its miles per sec here

3. koolharry

I had plenty of time for the connecting train to New Delhi, the Karnataka Samparkranti Express from Yeshvantpur. I was to spend the next 40 hours on a single train which have very few commercial halts during the 2650 km journey. I thought I would be comfort myself on the AC First Class. After exploring the yards of Bangalore City Junction, I took an autorikshaw to Yeshvantpur, the station I had only passed through, but did not explored much.

To my horror and disbelief, Yeshvantpur, the second important station of the bustling city of Banglore, was in total disarray. Unpaved roads to the booking office, broken walls of the main building, unfriendly RPFs, lack on enquiry booth / arrival / departure boards / food stalls added to agony.

I observed that platform number 1 was occupied by a passenger train arrived a while ago. PF 2 had an express train arrived from Kacheguda. 3 and 4 was empty and 5 received the passing trains. PF 6 was also empty.

07-wdm3a-14035.jpg
    Gooty based WDM 3A brings in the Express train from Kacheguda into PF2 of Yeshwantpur

Nobody knew about which platform would have the KSK. The train was not shunted to any of the platform. Next couple of hours was all mine. Walked the length and breadth of the station, explored the yard on the eastern side. It was around 12:30 i faint voice from the annoucement box indicated that KSK would leave from PF6. To my surprise, PF 6 is the only PF that was properly paved and had all the basic amenities. Retiring room, Cloack Room, Snack Stalls and Book Stalls. KSK has already been shunted and I found most of the coaches were fairly empty.

06-kjm-dms-ypr.jpg
    2629 - Karnataka Sampark Kranthi Express shunted onto PF6 by a KJM Diesel, while his friends too are busy with shunting duties...

Though the much need thing of the hour, food, was not available. Yesvantpur was one major station, where you would not find food stall. Leave alone food, I could not even get a cup of Coffee. :(

I went out of the station through PF1 and found a small hotel, where I had Chappati and Dal.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  4. koolharry

Thanks Rohan :)

MPS=Maximum Permissible Speed

5. ThrottleKing

ThrottleKing Active Member

Locoharry is back and back with a bang!!!
    I am sure I can expect to see a lot more of the rails in the coming part..
    Too good Harish!!!

6. cat

cat Senior Billi

Too good. I'm excited, I can feel my heart rate just went up. :grin:

Me too, Harish knows it. Railway pics...maybe more than anything, makes me miss India. :(

7. turbohead

turbohead In Pursuit of Happyness

Wow thats a journey from entirely different prospective "The Train", being a rubber burner, never thought it could be so exciting & enlightening on rails :)
    Could you help us stupid mortals with the abbreviations you have used, or maybe provide us with some legend ;)

8. koolharry

Thanks Srini!

Yes, there are plenty of pics and details to be shared. Stay tuned!

Yes, I know. :)

Your wish is my command. I've added the legends at the bottom of the first log. Will try and continue the same way for all the upcoming logs too :)

9. kdacharya

kdacharya Super User

Harish in his element. It cannot get better than that.

10. anupmathur

anupmathur Super Moderator Staff Member

Wonderful! An exclusive train log! :D

LocoHarry, you show me yours & I'll show you mine! :p
    I've started an exclusive ships log!