The Dirty Dozen "SURVIVED" Ladakh

Discussion in 'Travelogues from North India' started by hiambuj, Jul 17, 2008.

1. hitanshu

hitanshu Master of the OT Universe

Lovely. And I used to think car guys had it easier :)

2. darkside_of_d_sun

darkside_of_d_sun Moderator Staff Member

No offence, but I still think they do!

3. KurtRules

KurtRules Come as you are!

Hands down, one of the best write-ups that i have come across so far!! Congratulations to you and your team Amit for such a beautiful narration and amazing photography!!

4. hiambuj

hiambuj Moderator Staff Member

Thanks All..

5. tsk1979

tsk1979 Reclaimed and Recycled

I hold you responsible for lowered productivity at office. I keep checking BCMT time after time in my subscribed threads if there are any updates.!

6. hiambuj

Thats nasty Tanveer, but I liked it :)

7. anupmathur

anupmathur Super Moderator Staff Member

Aw, c'mon, Amit! You're with the govt.
    Uh...duh... what is productivity?!!! :grin:

8. hiambuj

(You'll notice some change in narration as this portion has been written jointly by me & Hanu, Manu has taken an off for some time & will describe the next adventurous part)

Day 7 : The Leisure voyage

The Descent from Chang-La on the previous day was undoubtedly the curviest one and had taken a toll on the cars. The disk brakes got smoked up as we descended the mighty Chang-La and needed immediate attention!. The drivers informed of the situation on the previous night itself & I directed them to make sure that they get it fixed before leaving Leh. This meant we had enough time for a long tight sleep till late in the morning and that’s exactly what we did.

This was the morning when we were supposed to bid adieu to valley of Leh. The only happy members to start the journey back to homes, I think, were our drivers. For 1) while we all were the ones on vacations, they were NOT! 2) as per them daily Diamox dose had taken toll out of their digestive systems and they craved for the landscape to which they actually belonged. They could not stop grinning as they came back after the servicing at around 11:30 AM and announced that our Scorpios were all set for the journey back. The time was very well utilized by Meenal, doing a last minute shopping of the adieu T-Shirts for the Dirty dozen. Photographers also made best out of it clicking flowers in the lush green & colorful Lawns of Sia La. The Honeymoon couple (as we used to call them) Aruna & Shashi made the best out of it by making a quick visit to the Leh Palace. After a merry yet poignant goodbye click we left Leh at around 12:15 in the afternoon.

Some clicks in the Lawns of Sia La :
    Leh1.JPG

Leh2.JPG

Leh3.JPG

Leh4.JPG

Leh5.JPG

Leh6.JPG

& the Bhajan Mandali's last click @ Leh : (the leader of Mandali i.e. me, in front posing Victory)
    LehSignoff.JPG

Our scorpios moved on towards the only heaven on the earth as said in “Gar Firdaus bar ru-e-zameenat, hameen asto hameen asto hameen ast”. Every place was equally debatable to get down and snatch a halt from our schedule which already ran late. We looked at each valley and mountain, at the storming Indus leading our way, at each cloud that was born in front of our very eye and traveled across to drench someone somewhere. The beauty factor of The valley could be measured by the fact that I could measure my own retina grew twice it size (Believe me scientifically, that happens only if u look at some nude photo!). The other noticeable thing was the facial cut kept changing to a Kashmiri from Ladakhi, the size of the eyes grew with lesser skew ness by each kilometer and the facial hair growth was more prominent (Chinese are the people, I believe, jealous of people flaunting beard and mustache ;) )

The Tarmac was just perfect starting off from Leh :
    Leh-Nimmu-Road.JPG

This was going to be the most common sight now till Jammu :
    Leh-nimmu-Military.JPG

The Gang @ Magnetic Hill :
    Leh-Nimmu-MagneticHill.JPG

Meharbaan again doing some offroading :
    Leh-Nimmu-offroad.JPG

Some more clicks enroute :
    Leh-Nimmu.JPG

Leh-Nimmu1.JPG

Leh-Nimmu2.JPG

Leh-Nimmu3.JPG

Leh-Nimmu4.JPG

Leh-Nimmu5.JPG

We stopped by a very small village after Nimmu where we were surprised to see wheat grown enough ready for the harvest (wheat in UP is supposed to be ripen & cut by April). The restaurant we decided to eat from was managed by a Himachali fellow. I personally respect those people a lot for they display what they truly are, from within. Another factor that accounted every time we decided where to stop by for a meal was Washroom as Meenal loved calling it. The restaurant had a special place and a board that read in large fonts Ladies Toilet (you have to assume that a brick cubical will only be for Ladies as gents are expected to leverage the Nature for a Nature’s call). Filled with expectations that would ultimately lead to relief to bladders, honorary ladies members of our crew marched (they all displayed tremendous team abilities when they went to the loo) towards it. One of them entered and came out (unrelieved) laughing rolling on the road! All to the marvelous toilet structure that proved that board a complete misnomer! A meager pit with no water and not even sand to cover on what you will do the place is what they painted on the board as Toilet. The problem quickly became the humor of the afternoon with people comparing it with a toilet in the train. Thinking less of hajma, we had rajma!.. & soon left for destination next which was Kargil.

Wheat Fields :
    Lunch-Wheat.JPG

Females having fun :
    LunchFemalefun1.JPG

LunchFemalefun2.JPG

Hanu Manu ki Shendi :
    LunchShendi.JPG

Manu ke TASHAN ? ???
    LunchManuTashan.JPG

We decided to take the upper route to Lamayuru as we wanted to surmount the mountains reaching to their Top. The decision was tough on the mountain sick drivers but added to the delight of photographers. The loops on the ascent once again reminded of the Gata which we crossed almost in the evening and couldn’t click much but on this particular day the small white pieces of clouds were playing hide & seek over the mountains & providing perfect picturesque view and we clicked a lot passionately.

Clicks before Ascent :
    Nimmu-Lamayuru.JPG

Nimmu-Lamayuru1.JPG

The ascent :
    Nimmu-LamayuruAscent.JPG

Clicks enroute : (the mountains gone dry again)
    Nimmu-Lamayuru2.JPG

Nimmu-Lamayuru3.JPG

Nimmu-Lamayuru4.JPG

Already late by hours, from here onwards we kept on rolling almost continuously except for few clicks @ Fotu La and a place where we located a Tortoise shaped rock. Worth mentioning here are the gushy winds at Fotu La which almost threw me 4 steps back the moment I landed on the road from car and we realized that it was the windiest pass.

@ Fotu La:
    Fotula.JPG

And a view from Fotu La :
    FotulaView.JPG

Tortoise Rock :
    Tortoise.JPG

& the Sunset
    Sunset.JPG

We could only manage to reach Kargil at 10:30 in the night which was not at all a suitable time for hotel hunt, as these small towns in the valley sleep early. The only hotel which we could notice with its lights on was onto our right (do not recall the name, hey dirty dozen anybody remembers ??) & looked quite expensive on the face of it. Unwilling to rummage around for options at this late, I enquired about the tariff which was actually high, but in conclusion & after a hard bargain we decided to check-in. Heavy meal & cosy sleep was the demand of the hour which was dully fulfilled by the excellent restaurant of the hotel offering varied cuisine and the luxurious rooms.

Day 3 Travelogue

Day 4 Travelogue

Day 5 Travelogue

Day 6 Travelogue

Day 8 Travelogue

Day 9-10 Travelogue

9. darth_lucifer

darth_lucifer Rides R Us

Strong contender for top triplog of year 2008 till now.

Of course 2008 isnt over yet:twisted:

10. hiambuj

Anup ji, my organization is autonomous & is not part of Govt. but works in close touch with Govt. ..

Thank you very much Pathakji.. thats what Manu is writing for :) He says he wants to see this in top five & on the homepage of BCMT for whole of 2009.. :D

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008