The future is electric?

Big Daddy

Super User
The way things are looking, the government is not going to give subsidies. It will just ban petrol vehicles and keep expensive EVs as the only option for consumers to buy. The infrastructure will be another broken promise. Speaking of rains, what happens to charge stations?

Last edited:

adsatinder

explorer
No one buys a 25 lakh car.
Ask a friend to buy a FORTUNER.
He will say, who will pay that EMI ?
10-15K EMI is practical for anyone for 5 years.
Above it only some Percentage left.
This 15K + segment only looks for more comforts and luxury !

Big Daddy

Super User
The problem with India is that Indians believe whatever they are told. British said that India is the easiest country to govern in the world. You just make promises and not do anything. A single fast charging station is going to cost $50,000 on the lower side. That is 35 lakhs. This excludes servicing and maintenance cost. Without servicing, the transformer will go out and will take months to replace as its cost is $25,000. The Indian government just does not have the money for infrastructure. It will ban petrol vehicles and add a few fast-charging stations. The costs of living will increase due to the high cost of cars, and the standard of living is going to drop because of longer wait times and driving a vehicle that is temperamental in its behavior.

Attachments

adsatinder

explorer
One common excuse is
When production will increase so the demand,
Cost will go down gradually.
Seen this in many cases.

Practically things are totally different.
When production increases, cost decreases, next technology replaces old product and new product is launched in upper price range.
LOL !

Cycle repeats every 5 years or so.
You are mentally prepared to get new efficient product.
Old product and it's infrastructure may become cheap but without support it dies automatically.

Big Daddy

Super User
You are also forgetting accessories. Many EV manufacturers are selling solar panels that you can add to charge your EV while driving. Frankly, I see this EV thing as a nightmare in a country like India. People may steal your solar panels. They may pull your car plug out in night just to harass you. No one knows how much they will charge you to charge your car at fast-charging stations. I would imagine that the cost will be very high to lower fast charging demand and keep queues manageable. Given the high cost of fast-charging stations, you need to charge a lot of money to recover the cost, maintenance, and real-estate cost.

People are saying I might buy an EV just for city driving. Well, so do you want to buy another car too? The parking wars are nasty as it is and paying insurance and EMIs for two cars will make life living hell. Besides, if the second car is petrol then where will the government find real-estate for fast charging stations because petrol pumps are staying put? Each of these charging stations needs to have enough real-estate for at least three cars in a queue. The government says people can drive these things in cities. The real-estate is expensive in cities and directly competes with parking spaces, office space, hotels, residences, etc. You cannot stack these stations in multiple stories. Actually, that would be the correct way to do it, but that increases expenses because you need to build multiple stories type building structure. The cost per charging station might mount to $75,000.

Just monitor the government budget and see how much allocation is there for EVs. I would expect at least $1 billion allocation per year for the next 10 years to implement EVs in four metros. I doubt that the Indian government has even allocated $50 million.

Needless to say, this whole thing will be a failure just like note bandhi, but that is India. People blindly believe anything they are told by leaders.

Oh, and there will be a change in behaviors as well. People may not blink indicators while changing lanes. They may not turn on headlights until very late evening to save on battery. Turning on an AC means draining the battery. Car manufacturers may offer lighter vehicles to improve mileage while sacrificing security. A heavy petrol car may collide with lighter EV and send lighter EV into space. Insurance companies might take notice and charge high premiums for EVs. You will also see an increase in unemployment for regular car mechanics.

Last edited:

adsatinder

explorer
You are also forgetting accessories. Many EV manufacturers are selling solar panels that you can add to charge your EV while driving. Frankly, I see this EV thing as a nightmare in a country like India. People may steal your solar panels. They may pull your car plug out in night just to harass you.
Currently.
Solar Panels are selling only at places with remote areas only.
Car Solar Panels may not be that good for charging battery to the ratio of using power.

No one knows how much they will charge you to charge your car at fast-charging stations. I would imagine that the cost will be very high to lower fast charging demand and keep queues manageable. Given the high cost of fast-charging stations, you need to charge a lot of money to recover the cost, maintenance, and real-estate cost.
They start with l;ow cost only.
After some period, 3-5 years they start to charge at market high rates.

People are saying I might buy an EV just for city driving. Well, so do you want to buy another car too? The parking wars are nasty as it is and paying insurance and EMIs for two cars will make life living hell. Besides, if the second car is petrol then where will the government find real-estate for fast charging stations because petrol pumps are staying put? Each of these charging stations needs to have enough real-estate for at least three cars in a queue. The government says people can drive these things in cities. The real-estate is expensive in cities and directly competes with parking spaces, office space, hotels, residences, etc. You cannot stack these stations in multiple stories. Actually, that would be the correct way to do it, but that increases expenses because you need to build multiple stories type building structure. The cost per charging station might mount to $75,000.
When they tried ODD - EVEN in Delhi, people were thinking of buying second car at anyu cost.
A Business person, Marketing Executive has to go at places and at interior places.
They have to reach in time.
They can't afford to miss any opportunity / customer / deals etc.
odd-Even was worse time in capital of Delhi !

Just monitor the government budget and see how much allocation is there for EVs. I would expect at least $1 billion allocation per year for the next 10 years to implement EVs in four metros. I doubt that the Indian government has even allocated $50 million.
Govt will spend only in some prime locations with some collaboration only on PPP model like they charge Toll on Roads in India.
PPP - Public Private Partnership only.

Public–private partnership - Wikipedia

Govt will not do its part as it is an expensive venture.
Slowly they will shy away.

Last edited:

adsatinder

explorer
Oh, and there will be a change in behaviors as well. People may not blink indicators while changing lanes. They may not turn on headlights until very late evening to save on battery. Turning on an AC means draining the battery. Car manufacturers may offer lighter vehicles to improve mileage while sacrificing security. A heavy petrol car may collide with lighter EV and send lighter EV into space. Insurance companies might take notice and charge high premiums for EVs. You will also see an increase in unemployment for regular car mechanics.
E- Rickshaws don't blink any indicator.
No Headlights are on at Night.
There is No AC in E-Rickshaw.
Car owners only may have AC on in Delhi
EVs Premium will shoot up with time.
Normal vehicle Insurance costs are increased in good percentage in last 5 years due to many reasons.
Already sales and growth of Auto Sector is declining.
So the Mechanical workshops aslo going down.
2nd hand big car companies / 2nd hand car dealerships are shooting up / Olx type companies are also going in this.

June quarter auto sales the worst in almost two decades

Big Daddy

Super User
PPP essentially means things will be unaffordable. Private sector will not make investments if there is no positive return on investment. The government should not come up with a plan and let free markets dictate what infrastructure it will build. Laxed laws and profit motives are why India is polluted in the first place. Infrastructure and security are primary government responsibilities. These are not-for-profit activities that are investments for the future.

I am okay with E-rikshaws were people can paddle once they run out of charge. Even two-wheelers are fine where people can walk and remove their vehicles from blocking the road. The 4-wheel EVs are the real concern.

Theloststory

I don't have range anxiety as 99% of my time I drive within the city. At a claimed 450, even if real life 200km is much more than my daily commute.

I hope more premium EVs come up. Rich people will lap these up. Infrastructure built for them will help everyone.

The only thing is price. Let's see how things go.

Many people have wasteful use of car (efficiency wise, not emotionally) where they drive to work, park at work, car keeps standing in parking lot for the entire working day, then drive back home (maybe go for a meeting or errand or dining out), then come home and car is parked all night again.Ample opportunities for recharging.

adsatinder

explorer
PPP essentially means things will be unaffordable. Private sector will not make investments if there is no positive return on investment. The government should not come up with a plan and let free markets dictate what infrastructure it will build. Laxed laws and profit motives are why India is polluted in the first place. Infrastructure and security are primary government responsibilities. These are not-for-profit activities that are investments for the future.
Once rules and laws become in favour of money churning game,
PPP model gets hit and investors with Top Politicians enter the game.
Political Persons having good B Money invest in these ventures and business runs smoothly.

I am okay with E-rikshaws were people can paddle once they run out of charge. Even two-wheelers are fine where people can walk and remove their vehicles from blocking the road. The 4-wheel EVs are the real concern.

This is E Rickshaw that is superhit now on the Indian city roads.

No Paddle is here in this.
These are only battery operated.
You can see it almost every small colony.
Simple paddle rickshaws are now much less in number in Delhi.
These run for small distances of 2-4km approx. for daily / regular commuter's routes.
You can take them to any nearby destination also.
These operators charge less than 3 wheelers.

These E Rickshaws are popular from 2008.
Once Govt tried to stop these as these are Private individual operators who are running these.
Then Strike and all the drama happened,
Govt just had to start registering it.

Now Big Brands are also joining in this revolution.
Earlier local assembled ones were under 1 Lakh, now cost is 1.5 Lakh +

Check how Big Companies are praising Battery Operated Rickshaw.
Mahindra Battery E Rickshaw

Hero E Rickshaw :

TVS King Fully Electric Auto Rickshaw at 12th Auto Expo 2014 The Motor Show Greater Noida

2014 Auto Expo
Published on Mar 4, 2014

Lohia Auto Industries launches Electric Three Wheeler- News Nation

Regional Public Relations

Published on Feb 11, 2018

Last edited: