The Great Monsoon Chase: Delhi To Kerala and Back

codelust

Shyam
We reach Belgaum at around 1:00 PM and promptly get lost for a bit, get into town and use the GPS to find our way out. Not much to report on the town other than that is crowded and has craters that are patched together with tarmac.

Leaving Belgaum behind also means that the nice wide roads too come to an end, we are now in strictly single carriage zone and the only way to make your way forward is to snake in and out of traffic.

After the lunch at Khanapur we started getting into the thick forested areas. It started raining very heavily again through this section and it had very little traffic on it. But it was absolutely divine. Small villages would pop up in the middle of nowhere with signboards that point to the nearby railway stations (I think it is a meter gauge line), few paddy fields in between and then forest again.

We stopped along the way to just stop and enjoy the quiet and peace. So we parked the car on the road side and went walking down for a bit. We also stopped at a bridge to check the raging waters and then made our way forward to the Anmod Ghat climb. The road becomes pretty narrow here and there was also a pretty thick fog that reduced visibility considerably. This part of the road was full of mines that the courts shut down, leading to considerably lesser damage on the road surface thanks to the lack of overloaded trucks plying the route.

The last stop was made at the Doodhsagar waterfalls. It was not too spectacular, but I have always liked water bodies. The rest of the journey into Goa was pretty uneventful other than a massive traffic jam we ran into while at Mollem. After dropping my friend off at the Panji bus stand (he was headed to Madgaon), I finally reached Dona Paula and met up with my friend with whom I'd stay for the next four days in Goa.

DSC02785.JPG

Canopied!

DSC02787.JPG

Miles and miles of wet greenery

DSC02788.JPG

Well inside the forest now

DSC02790.JPG

Fields of gold..er.. green

DSC02791.JPG

Very little traffic on this road. The few that are on it, zip by at 80-100 KPH.

DSC02793.JPG

Posing tavala

DSC02794.JPG

Posing tavala II

DSC02795.JPG

Tar-makhhan

DSC02801.JPG

Swollen river

22072010130.jpg

Had to run for cover here, it came down pretty heavily

codelust

Shyam
DSC02803.JPG

The climb starts to Anmod

DSC02804.JPG

Bus karo!

DSC02806.JPG

And it gets foggier

DSC02810.JPG

I'm taken back to my early morning winter escapes on NH1

DSC02813.JPG

Doodh sagar

22072010132.jpg

Fog sagar

22072010133.jpg

Faux HDR

22072010134.jpg

Hazy

22072010135.jpg

Fuzzy

22072010136.jpg

In retrospect

Last edited:

codelust

Shyam
Four days in Goa proved to be just what the doctor ordered after 3-days and over 2200 KMs of driving. The friend with whom I shack up proves invaluable as he takes me to all the local hole-in-the wall joints. Much lovely red meat and feni was consumed. The house was in a very quiet area pretty close to Miramar, but the beaches were useless since it was raining heavily most of the time.

Day time was spent reading and looking out of the window watching the rain and the sea and evenings we would head out and sample a lot of the local delicacies. One of the days, on the weekend, we headed out with my friend's colleagues to Tambdi Sula temple, which is inside the Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary and Mollem National Park. There they decided to do the quite insane thing of wading up the river (it was raining heavily and the current was quite strong, with the water reaching quite often up to our necks) "for fun".

Unfortunately, since it was raining and we were jumping in the river, the cameras had to be left in the cars and there were zero pictures of the action in the water.

Meanwhile, my old trusted E71 decided that it had enough of my mistreatment and stopped responding to my overtures with the 'unlock' key. This meant that I could not make calls with the phone once the keypad auto locked and finally I gave in and bought a new phone - The Samasung Galaxy S GTi9000. Life is indeed funny. Of all places in the world, I had to come to Goa to pick up a smartphone!

23072010139.jpg

The view from one side of the house at Dona Paula.

23072010140.jpg

The other side.

2010-07-24 18.05.49.jpg

First snap from the Galaxy

2010-07-24 18.09.53.jpg

Crazy lovely narrow road, there was barely enough width to let two cars pass each other.

DSC02815.JPG

Breakfast stop en route to Tambdi Sula

DSC02816.JPG

Heading out to Mollem

DSC02820.JPG

And it gets cloudy (what's new?)

DSC02822.JPG

Followed by rain (Surprise!)

DSC02823.JPG

Solitary two wheeler

DSC02827.JPG

Break off from the NH17 and a bit of a way in the road disintegrates

DSC02828.JPG

After the Tambdi Sula river wading expedition

DSC02830.JPG

The bunch after the expedition

DSC02831.JPG

The way out, which was previously the way in

DSC02833.JPG

The temple is about 200 meters in, it is a lovely one, the trek up river starts after that.

DSC02835.JPG

The rustic irony

DSC02839.JPG

The river we waded up

DSC02838.JPG

Looks deceptively tame here

Last edited:

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey, Shyam, don't you eat any decent food on your solo trips?! :eek:
Other than in-car snacks there must have been some great meals too?! :confused: