The Killar Adventure - crossing Sach pass at night with family.

Seems like it is the same wrong turn which I also took during my Ladakh trip. Somwhere near Chamba road - Killar Kishtwar road junction I also ended up taking wrong turn and reached some unknown area. It was 7pm in the evening. When I saw every local person staring me as if I m an alien, I realized that I actually took a wrong turn . They guided me to go 7kms back and take right turn there n I did the same to reach Killar.

Riding / Driving in night time in such scary roads is really very thrilling. Ur story reminds me of my solo ride on Sach Pass and Pensi La in midnight time..

Nice write up..

Rajinder

A
Deadly experience!

The decision to proceed to Killar from Bairagarh at 1600 hrs was absolutely wrong and I wonder how you could say yes to your wife at that situation, when you were well aware of Bairagarh-Killar section and risks involved.

On a lighter note, I could feel that you were helpless there as the decision making powers usually rest with the wives :) :) :)

Better safe than sorry.

Cheers...
Absolutely right but that is why I shared my experience here that do not attempt to cross sach pass or proceed to killar in the night even if you don,t have kids on board . I only agreed because I have 3o+ years of driving experience in varied terrains and one million kilometers on odometer so I am not supposed to say NO for driving. LOL.....

nadz11.ns

Super User
Scary stuff Rajinder ji..

Riding/driving in daytime is difficult on this route and you did that at night. Shows how much experience really matters.

Rajinder

Seems like it is the same wrong turn which I also took during my Ladakh trip. Somwhere near Chamba road - Killar Kishtwar road junction I also ended up taking wrong turn and reached some unknown area. It was 7pm in the evening. When I saw every local person staring me as if I m an alien, I realized that I actually took a wrong turn . They guided me to go 7kms back and take right turn there n I did the same to reach Killar.

Riding / Driving in night time in such scary roads is really very thrilling. Ur story reminds me of my solo ride on Sach Pass and Pensi La in midnight time..

Nice write up..
There are three confusing turns on the way to Killar from bairagarh, The first one is before the bridge and other two after the bridge. When you travel in the day its less confusing. This is first confusing turn
DSC_0395.JPG

DSC_0397.JPG

The second confusing turn
DSC_0331.JPG

skysat2005

Super User
I completely agree that the turn in 3rd pic are absolutely confusing, even during the day time. The turn in 1/2nd pic can be managed in day time as the wrong road is pretty narrow and clearly shows not into use (all this only in daylight, ha ha ha).
And in night time, every point showing multiple ways becomes a nightmare.

.......................... I only agreed because I have 3o+ years of driving experience in varied terrains and one million kilometers on odometer so I am not supposed to say NO for driving. LOL.....
Well knowing the deadly terrain (no mans land) and that too in pitch dark timings, better to say NO instead.
I am still wondering why the police men at Satrundi didnt stop you at 1600 hrs. They do advise caution to people (other than locals) traveling late in the day.

adsatinder

Plz Help Himabuj (Amit Tyagi) in Corona Fighting
There are three confusing turns on the way to Killar from bairagarh, The first one is before the bridge and other two after the bridge. When you travel in the day its less confusing. This is first confusing turnView attachment 732384
View attachment 732383
The second confusing turnView attachment 732385
Great Turns !
Great Clear Pictures !
This is for Reference Guide for everyone here !

Can't understand location of these three turns on Google Maps.
As I can see on Google Map is On Tandi - Kishtwar Road, there are 2 points.
One going towards Kishtwar (Sach Pass Road joins Tamdi-Kishtwar Road.)
Second goes towards Tandi (Cut for Killar).
3rd one is where ?
Before Satrundi Check post ?
Google Map shows Satrundi Helipad.

Last edited:

CHETAN235

Chetan
Paaji tusi great ho..
I know how it is scary as few years back similar experience we have while going back from Patal Bhubaneswari to ojaswi resort chaukori but hotel owner registered his Google pointer towards and near to pithoragarh which was in opposite direction. We reached at dead end of a village at 9 pm and villager told us we were in opposite direction. The entire to and fro route was under construction and full of stones and mud . It was a scared drive in night.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk