The Ladakh foodie pit stops.....

kprixie

Alok da.........thanks so much for sharing your foodie stops and so glad you too have enjoyed the chai at the same dhaba in Mulbek. next time please do have a simple meal at that dhaba...its delicious. we had chowmein at village Khardung just short of Khardung la while coming from Hunder....the chow mein there was good. also do try the Dogra hotel next time...in Drass. ...spl since you appreciate a good cuppa chai..:)

Alpha

Going to Neverland
Alok da.........thanks so much for sharing your foodie stops and so glad you too have enjoyed the chai at the same dhaba in Mulbek. next time please do have a simple meal at that dhaba...its delicious. we had chowmein at village Khardung just short of Khardung la while coming from Hunder....the chow mein there was good. also do try the Dogra hotel next time...in Drass. ...spl since you appreciate a good cuppa chai..:)
Next time i will make it a point to check out ladakh from food point of view :)

by any chance you are talking about this dhaba right at the beginning of Khardung village situated on the right side while coming from Hunder?
DSC_0690.jpg

by the way thats Rigzin in the pic :grin:

kprixie

I did not explore Srinagar's culinary delights as such, so have nothing to report from there. BUT...when you drive down to Jammu from Srinagar...
after Jawahar tunnel...drive on and you will get to PEERAH...better known as PEERAH MORH. here the dhabas are aplenty and they all specialize in RAJMASH,:) ..or Rajma. i don't know any kid who does not love RAJMA..RICE. here they serve it with a generous helping of desi Ghee and a special Anardana chutney. its AWESOME!! as you can see my daughter tucking into it with delight. A MUST TRY...:)

here we had at this DHABA...I recommend this dhaba becoz of the warm service...wonderful, super Masala CHAI....bahut badhiya. totally refreshing...

also posted picture of the nice guys working at the dhaba...

IMG_5520.jpg
IMG_5510.jpg
IMG_5509.jpg
IMG_5512.jpg
IMG_5516.jpg
IMG_5521.jpg

anubhavt

Although almost all dhabas in Leh serve maggi noodles. But, I had found this dhabba at the Khardung village served best maggi I had in Leh. He used some local spices which made it super spicy / tangy and tasted so good in -20 degree temp.

This is the first dhabha on left once you enter Khardung village after crossing North Pullu.

DSCN5634.jpg

oriole12

Nature Lover
Kprixie, honestly I never realized there were so many food options available on a trip to Leah. Probably because I depended heavily on the Army, the ITBP and the Intelligence Bureau for support during my visit. Hats off to your love for food. May be, the fact that you have young kids with demanding appetite helped! Your log gives me ideas for the next trip, possibly in 2014!

kprixie

Kprixie, honestly I never realized there were so many food options available on a trip to Leah. Probably because I depended heavily on the Army, the ITBP and the Intelligence Bureau for support during my visit. Hats off to your love for food. May be, the fact that you have young kids with demanding appetite helped! Your log gives me ideas for the next trip, possibly in 2014!
Thanks Koshy ji...i would like to take full credit for all the food spots i found..or find. my family...is very ok with just Dal roti..maggi....my husband is the most laidback about food. infact getting him to stop for a chai...or because i feel like trying out a new place...has erupted into many a arguement...but i pursue...coz i am very passionate about cooking...and relishing yummy foods.:)
so do give these a try....:)

- - - Updated - - -

Although almost all dhabas in Leh serve maggi noodles. But, I had found this dhabba at the Khardung village served best maggi I had in Leh. He used some local spices which made it super spicy / tangy and tasted so good in -20 degree temp.

This is the first dhabha on left once you enter Khardung village after crossing North Pullu.

View attachment 417926
Anubhav.....have to try this nextime ... looks delicious and the local spices sound great. my kids just love Maggi....

citymonk

Super User
There used to be the time, not long long ago, only 5-10 years back. When people who would travel to places (not even remote) and write about food e.t.c. with Photographs, would make lot of money. Publishers would charge a bomb for such books.

But times have changed so fast, amateurs are much better then professional writers and doing good work selflessly.

Rickey your thread is much much better than any Professional writer could have compiled or a professional photographer could have contributed to.

A very nice write up with nice photographs, am hooked to this thread right now and for reference in future.

kprixie

Thank you so much @Citymonk....i am glad you liked it...and will be so much happier when many of you go try these places...and are happy enjoying the food...and write a feedback.
i am humbled..absolutely by so much kindness and encouragement. maybe i could write a comic caper of sorts now...travel caper...with Food....:):p

rock75

That maggi looks yummy!

Though i'am not a great fan of maggi, this pic made me remember a maggi I had outside the eco park at dhanaulti, with some potato and onion with stir fried and lots of green chilli, my fav, that was super spicy but delicious and perfect thing to have in cold weather!