The Scary experiences thread

wicked

Banned
In case of slightly rusted discs, a somewhat strong brake pedal can lead to stuck calipers since something similar happened with me as well. The tyres jammed though I wasn't flying back then. When I pulled the lever hard, that thing just froze just like in the ancient ad of Caliber, to stop at moment's notice :grin: and I was ejected sideways from bike though landed safely. Got the plates changed post that!

Roadie..

Super User
On the Uttarkashi - Chamba road (Mud road) in oct 2013 I had the front right Tyre punctured, and in the process of replacing the wheel I disfigured the threads of one stud.
Now I was left with only 3 nuts so I made sure that remaining three were super tight.
The stud work was possible only at mussourie or chamba so I was worried as the roads are total mud and rocks.
Finally found a mechanic who was unable to fix the stud problem but I got the puncture mended but this time the mechanic broke one more stud while replacing the wheel and I was left with only two :(

I was stuck the only way was to tow the car.
I spotted a carpenter shop and borrowed the triangular sectioned file which they use to sharpen their saw, and voila after many attempts I made somewhat thread like structure on the ruined stud and again we had three.

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
@Arshad:
That's pretty difficult situation.
I read somewhere that non-driving wheels of your car can help you out of such mess. One can safely take out 1 stud from each non-driving wheel and use in other wheel(s).

arambam

Travel to explore
Yes that's true
But I had them broken
The part attached to wheel hub
The same scenario happen with me in Panchgani. I have to come down to wai with 3 stud and then the mechanic broke the third with 2 stud I was left stranded for hours till he do some lathe machine work and repair. That was a horrible scene

Sandeep Dhawan

The Contrarian!
ये उन दीनो की बात है, जब मे और मेरी पत्नी बॅंगलुर से दिल्ली आ रहे थे| चित्तोर से भीलवारा होते हुए किशनगॅड आ रहे थे| भीलवारा मे रात्रि भोजन के उपरांत, हम ४ लेन सुनसान सड़क्र पर भारी वाहनो क बीच से गुज़र रहे थे| अचानक मुझे बहुत तेज़ी से नींद आई| लगा कही गाड़ी खड़ी करके सो जाना चाहिए| मैने गति धीमी करी और १०० से ५० की मी प्रति घंटे की रफ़्तार से चलने लगे| एक जगह सड़क किनारी कुछ भारी वाहन खड़े दिखे| सोचा की यहाँ कुछ देर विश्राम कर लेना चाहिए| हमने गाड़ी खड़ी करी और मे कंबल तांन के सो गया|

गाड़ी का एंजिन ऑन था| ए सी चल रहा था|

शायद कुछ ४० मिनिट ही हुए होंगे हमारी आँख लगे हुए| मेरी पत्नी ने मुझे उठाया और कहा ' चलो जल्दी यहाँ से!' मैने पूछा 'अरे क्या हुआ?' पत्नी घबरा कर बोलीं 'ये जगह कुछ ठीक नही है, पहले चलो फिर बताती हूँ' मैने फिर ज़िद्द की 'अरे हुआ क्या ये तो बताओ?' पत्नी बोली 'मुझे अभी ढंग से नींद भी नही आई थी, की कुछ लोग बाइक्स पर गाड़ी मेी झाँक रहे थे| मे एकदम घबरा गयी तो भी वो लोग अंदर झाँक रहे थे| बहुत अजीब चहरे थे उनके, सब चोर से लग रहे थे| मेरी मानो चलो यहाँ से जल्दी, मुझे ठीक नही लग रहा|'

मैने गाड़ी गियर पर डाली और वहाँ से गायब हो गये| तकरीब २० मील बाद कोई टोल प्लाज़ा आया. वहाँ कुछ लोग गाली गलोच कर लॅड रहे थे| पोलीस नही थी वहाँ. मैने पास वाली कतार मे लगकर टोल क्रॉस किया|

- - - Updated - - -

बात यही ख़तम नही हुई| हम १ घंटा उपरांत अजमेर ज्यपुर द्रुतमार्ग पर तेज गति पर थे| थोड़ी देर बाद मुझे फिर थकान महसूस हुई| एक और ढाबा देख हमने शेड के भीतर गाड़ी पार्क करी और सो गये| इस बार मेरी पत्नी सो गयी थी पर मुझे लग रहा था कही कोई गड़बड़ ना हो|

१५ मिनिट बाद कुछ लोग हमारी गाड़ी क पास आकर खड़े हो गये| एक ने नंबर नोट किया और दूसरे लोग झाँके| मुझे गुस्सा आया और मे बाहर आकर पूछा 'क्या है भाई, क्या दिक्कत है?' वो लोग चले गये|

मे अंदर आकर सो गया| कुछ देर बाद फिर मेरी पत्नी मुझेसे बोलीं 'शायद हमे यहाँ से भी चलना चाहिए| पोलीस क कुछ लोग कार की परीक्रमा करके गये हैं|' लगता है यहाँ सड़क किनारे गाड़ी खड़ी करके सोने मे लोगों को ठीक नही लगता| ये उत्तर भारत है|'

शायद वो सही थी| मे उसी ढाबे के अंदर गया, अपने हाथ मु धोए और दिल्ली की और प्रस्थान कर गये|

smoothwanderer

stopping at lonely places on indian highways is not recommended. sandeep dhawan you did a big mistake by stopping at lonely place and that too with your wife along. most of the experts advice to stop at well lighted places near toll plazas, petrol pumps, all night hotel parking place etc. best would be to drive all night without stopping. all the people whom you and wife saw may not be mischief mongers though. when some body sees a car parked at night on lonely places would enquire the reason. the cops would definitely come over if not to enquire for any help needed but to make a quick buck if possible.

Sandeep Dhawan

The Contrarian!
stopping at lonely places on indian highways is not recommended. sandeep dhawan you did a big mistake by stopping at lonely place and that too with your wife along. most of the experts advice to stop at well lighted places near toll plazas, petrol pumps, all night hotel parking place etc. best would be to drive all night without stopping. all the people whom you and wife saw may not be mischief mongers though. when some body sees a car parked at night on lonely places would enquire the reason. the cops would definitely come over if not to enquire for any help needed but to make a quick buck if possible.
I agree with your honest intentions but I disagree little bit based on my exp so far.

First I was attempting a non-stop Lonavala - Delhi ride and if possible could have continued till Delhi. But sometimes, you are just not able to pull up as body desperately needs rest. So IMHO if you just can't drive its better to stop and relax for sometime. That's what I did as I have no other option. There were no hotels around.

Second, Wifey is also a good driver but she refrains to drive at night due to flashing beams all over.

Third, there are couple of areas where I feel its safe to park aside and take quick nags. I am listing few of them

1. B'lore - Hyd highway near Anantpur, Kurnool or before Jadchedla.
2. NH4 between Tumkur to Belgaum.
3. SH of Tamil Nadu.
4. NH 209 between Malavali and Bangalore.
5. Around Pondy
6. NH8 between Mumbai and Ahmedabad or anywhere in Gujarat.

In these areas you can't even find a policemen asking what you are doing here, or why you are sleeping inside car.

Now there are some areas where I felt nuisance or unsafe, that too based on exp

1. Rajasthan. yes it was very scary
2. All highways leading to Haryana , NH1. Even if you stop for 15 20 mins between midnight and morning anywhere between Delhi and Amritsar, cops will come and interrogate you
3. UP/MP/Maharasthra. Highly unsafe with dead silence
4. Hyd - Adilabad.

Sandeep bhai
Raat ki driving ke pange mat lia karo
Yaar situations are like this mostly. Its safe to drive on NH(s) in South and its better not to stop and continue. smoothwanderer is right but kya karein, you cannot drive with eyes closed know?

But thanks to both of you, will keep such things in mind in planning itineraries. Whenever I stop somewhere close to midnight at some Hotel/Dhaba etc, first thing owner ask is why don't you stay overnight here. We have rooms! But my answer is NO!! We stick to our plans..

Last edited: